Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

How many quarts of oil do you use...

Tags
oil quarts
19K views 73 replies 38 participants last post by  -Wingman- 
#1 ·
Just wonderin the average amount of quarts you guys use when you change out your oil and filters.... A couple days ago I changed my oil with 5w-30 Castrol Syntec and put a new honda OEM oil filter and it seemed as if i had to add about 5.4 quarts of oil to get the level up to the top hole on my oil dipstick... We should be using only about 5 quarts to get this level up... But this time i used a little more... Maybe my 5qt. container jipped me?? I dunno... Anyone else have to add more than 5qt's just to get the oil level up to par!? Just seemed like this oil change i had to add an excessive amount of oil just to get that damn level up....

#3 ·
Cool... Cool...
I thought so... Just seems kinda odd that I needed that much more oil to fill it to the same line... But it's all good! 6 Quarts for some??? Damn that's alot!! Hopefullly their not overfilling! Thanks man for ur input! :thumbsup:

#9 ·
oil level is normally between the two dots...

#10 ·
Every time I've done mine its taken 6 on the dot with the amsoil filter, which is the difference I'm sure

#14 ·
I cant justify flushing if nothing's wrong and your using good synthetic(especially if its more than 8 a quart), otherwise I would do it as well

#20 ·
I don't understand something. The owners manual say 4.8 quarts w/filter for the oil capacity of the type s engine. If you guys are filling it to the top dot which i'm assuming would be "max" and since oil expands as it gets hotter then doesn't that mean you're technically overfilling it? I personally use 5 quarts of mobil 1 fully synthetic and the oil level on the dipstick is in the middle of the 2 dots.

#27 ·
Not really related but funny non the less...a customer at my shop told me his 16 year old son decided to fill up the oil in his car (not RSX), opened the oil cap and looked in...."OMG, the oil must be low its not to the top!" Filled that bitch right to the top with oil until he could see it with the oil cap open. You can guess what happened next! :rotfl:

#47 ·
I just changed mine 30 minutes ago, it took 6 quarts exactly to the top dot.

Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 with the amsoil EAO13 filter.

#49 · (Edited)
I've owned 2 RSX-S now and both of them took about 5.8 quarts of oil, right to the bottom of the 2nd dot, using the amsoil filter.

I hate to be this way, but I've been changing oil for years on the side, and did it for 2 years for honda. I promise you, a type S with a non honda filter takes 5.2-5.8 depending on the filter and its size obviously. It also depends on whether or not you fill it to halfway between the dots or right to the top dot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.