Looking for upgrade from a Type-S - Page 3 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Auto Talk
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 03:39 AM   #51
03TypeS4Jesus

03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
I literally thought you needed 4 doors....
haha right. I really wanted to, but I couldn't pass this deal up. It was like meant to be you know?

I came close to buying a 2013 Si 4 door but someone else bought it and there was like none around me for a month.
03TypeS4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #52
hicompb18c1
RSX Offroad Crew

hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Not trying to hijack thread... I'm in the same boat, my '02 Type S is in need of a replacement soon.

I'm considering WRX's but there are a lot of drawbacks to me. The new Civic Si and CTR both are very appealing, but one thing scares me - I saw the new Si is running like 21 PSI, stock? Is it just me or does that seem like a shit ton of boost for a stock motor to be running?

My worry is that there won't be much tuning you can do after you buy it - the new Hondata reflash for Civics makes most of its power by adding 9 PSI of boost... and in this case that would probably blow the little engine to bits.

Any thoughts on this? I don't know much about the new Honda 1.5 turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRSX_TypeR View Post
Oh and I did search for this, and I tried to contact JDM but cant find a good email or phone #... Does anyione have a phone # for JDM?
hicompb18c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #53
03TypeS4Jesus

03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicompb18c1 View Post
Not trying to hijack thread... I'm in the same boat, my '02 Type S is in need of a replacement soon.

I'm considering WRX's but there are a lot of drawbacks to me. The new Civic Si and CTR both are very appealing, but one thing scares me - I saw the new Si is running like 21 PSI, stock? Is it just me or does that seem like a shit ton of boost for a stock motor to be running?

My worry is that there won't be much tuning you can do after you buy it - the new Hondata reflash for Civics makes most of its power by adding 9 PSI of boost... and in this case that would probably blow the little engine to bits.

What's your budget and what do you need out of the car?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #54
hicompb18c1
RSX Offroad Crew

hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hicompb18c1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TypeS4Jesus View Post
What's your budget and what do you need out of the car?
Under $30k for the car itself... lower the better, obviously lol. BUT I really might see about waiting a bit if I could save up more cash together and consider a CTR once they come out. It sounds like an amazing machine.

What I need from the car... just reliability, and slightly better engine performance than my Type S. I love my Type S, and after some decent suspension mods it handles great, but I wish I could keep up in a straight line with other cars. Hell, even the new Accord V6 blows me away in a straight line.

Again, the new Si sounds fun and I'll be test driving one next week. But I'm concerned about the engine coming from the factory at 21PSI of boost already

Quote:
Oh and I did search for this, and I tried to contact JDM but cant find a good email or phone #... Does anyione have a phone # for JDM?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #55
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with your Type-S that makes you in need of a replacement? Just curious.

Assuming you are talking about the current WRXs, those are pretty cool and really good all-around cars. You can't go wrong with that kind of engine output and reasonable fuel economy, plus the handling has really improved. It doesn't feel like an understeering pig anymore. What are the drawbacks that you're thinking of with that car?

I'm curious myself about the new Civic turbos, but it's more for my own amusement since I'm not that interested in them. If it's cranking out 21 psi, its turbo probably doesn't have too much more than that to be squeezed out. I have an Evo IX, and I think that the stock turbos put out something like 21 psi, but it's probably much bigger and has a good amount left in it.

Quote:
Under $30k for the car itself... lower the better, obviously lol. BUT I really might see about waiting a bit if I could save up more cash together and consider a CTR once they come out. It sounds like an amazing machine.

What I need from the car... just reliability, and slightly better engine performance than my Type S. I love my Type S, and after some decent suspension mods it handles great, but I wish I could keep up in a straight line with other cars. Hell, even the new Accord V6 blows me away in a straight line.

Again, the new Si sounds fun and I'll be test driving one next week. But I'm concerned about the engine coming from the factory at 21PSI of boost already
I'm just not buying into the CTR anymore at this point in the game. I'm sure it's a great car, but it's lost its allure to me over the years, and it's already competing against cars that have AWD and a lot of firepower. I'm not amused by the 'Ring times that they're claiming, since they're not truly stock cars, even though their PR department tries to downplay the changes that they applied. I'll have to reserve judgment until it's out, but at this point in time, I'm not sold on it.

Personally I've always been intrigued at the current Golf R, though I can't seem to give up my Evo. Plus that VW reliability is ehhhh.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #56
hicompb18c1
RSX Offroad Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with your Type-S that makes you in need of a replacement? Just curious.

Assuming you are talking about the current WRXs, those are pretty cool and really good all-around cars. You can't go wrong with that kind of engine output and reasonable fuel economy, plus the handling has really improved. It doesn't feel like an understeering pig anymore. What are the drawbacks that you're thinking of with that car?

I'm curious myself about the new Civic turbos, but it's more for my own amusement since I'm not that interested in them. If it's cranking out 21 psi, its turbo probably doesn't have too much more than that to be squeezed out. I have an Evo IX, and I think that the stock turbos put out something like 21 psi, but it's probably much bigger and has a good amount left in it.

I'm just not buying into the CTR anymore at this point in the game. I'm sure it's a great car, but it's lost its allure to me over the years, and it's already competing against cars that have AWD and a lot of firepower. I'm not amused by the 'Ring times that they're claiming, since they're not truly stock cars, even though their PR department tries to downplay the changes that they applied. I'll have to reserve judgment until it's out, but at this point in time, I'm not sold on it.

Personally I've always been intrigued at the current Golf R, though I can't seem to give up my Evo. Plus that VW reliability is ehhhh.
Agreed on the VW reliability. That's even what steers me away from WRX's... most Honda/Acura guys I know who have switched to a WRX told me they regretted it later. Shitty interiors, fair amount of minor engine issues, and still quite a bit of cash.

As for my RSX, it's at 225k on the motor, still runs great, but is starting to get so many "little" problems after all this time that I'm over it. Interior lights failing one by one, door & trunk lock actuators only working 40% of the time, windshield wiper motor stripping. Leather seats not holding up anymore. Oh, and needs paint up front badly. I'll keep it as my "surf" car that I'm not afraid to bang up a bit.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #57
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Agreed on the VW reliability. That's even what steers me away from WRX's... most Honda/Acura guys I know who have switched to a WRX told me they regretted it later. Shitty interiors, fair amount of minor engine issues, and still quite a bit of cash.
But coming from Honda/Acura (especially for something made from the '90s to the mid '00s), you just can't walk into a new situation and expect it to have identical reliability. It's going to happen with higher-performance cars that need parts replaced more quickly, especially as you push the car further and further beyond stock.

I've felt WRXs have been fine. I have a lot of friends from that camp and had posted for about 15 years on various Subaru forums. They're not perfect but I've never known them to be problematic, aside from the earliest WRXs with their glass transmissions (especially for the launch-happy crowd that was always amused with the AWD launch that we hadn't yet become familiar with) and the bad ringlands of pretty much any EJ25-powered STI. I'm sure there are more, but those are the more prominent ones that come to mind. And then of course the spark plugs are a pain to replace. I am literally at a shop right now getting my 105k service and brakes done, and we were talking about spark plugs, and I brought up Subarus. He said the plugs are $50 but he charges $300 for labor because it's so much of a pain to do because you have to take everything out.

I've always felt that WRX interiors were very functional, but not to the point where they were an eyesore (like my Evo IX, or basically any CT9A, aside from the seats). But the last gen ones were pretty mediocre.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #58
hicompb18c1
RSX Offroad Crew

Thanks for the input. Definitely still open to a Rex, might need to see if I can get more time behind the wheel of one. Unless the Ford RS does a $10,000 price drop... ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
but he charges $300 for labor because it's so much of a pain to do
Jesus...

Quote:
Old 05-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #59
all<dc5
NA Today

all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Never been a big fan of Fords either, actually I usually make fun of them, but the Fiesta ST is a pretty dope car. My buddy has one from 2015 and it's pretty much everything you're looking for. Quick and torquey, great gas mileage, decent space and head room

Edit: Saw you went with the Accord. Good shit. Honda fam stay true

Last edited by all<dc5; 05-23-2017 at 06:21 PM..
all<dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #60
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Definitely still open to a Rex, might need to see if I can get more time behind the wheel of one. Unless the Ford RS does a $10,000 price drop... ha

Jesus...
I've only driven the current WRX once, but I was impressed by it. Strong low-end punch for what it is. I prefer it over the STI, mostly because the EJ25 is a bit behind, plus the big wing looks out of place on the current car with its swoopier shape. It mated better with the more typical three-box shape of WRXs/STIs/Evos of the past.

But yes, the spark plugs are expensive to install. And other shops charge more. Thankfully Evos don't have that issue, though the synthetic fluids and frequency at which they're changed do add up.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #61
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by all<dc5 View Post
Never been a big fan of Fords either, actually I usually make fun of them, but the Fiesta ST is a pretty dope car. My buddy has one from 2015 and it's pretty much everything you're looking for. Quick and torquey, great gas mileage, decent space and head room

Edit: Saw you went with the Accord. Good shit. Honda fam stay true
Yea, the accord goes hard. I do miss the handling and revving the crap outta my RSX though.. It's just not the same!

IMO you can't go wrong with the 2015+ WRX. Especially if you live somewhere where it snows or rains a lot then yeah get that. Otherwise it's Golf GTI for refinement if you're into that or Fiesta ST for driving fun factor and budget.