Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Subie Thread Part Tres: Still Winning

103K views 1K replies 69 participants last post by  Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 
#1 ·
Evo's are welcome as well....

#726 ·
Was $1,000 more than the guaranteed trade in.

Mainly did it to save money. Thinking about having kids in the new couple years so that factored in as well.

Gas mileage change is also a big perk lol

#728 ·
STi is obviously faster. I like the GTI interior and the touch screen radio is a nice plus. One thing that bugs me is that there really isn't much room to put your phone or wallet.

Ummm GTI ride quality is awesome. Really like the suspension and you don't feel every single bump like you do in the STI. Seats are also really comfortable soo for road trips I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

My idiot friend somehow managed to break the sunroof dial though :firemad: taking it in to get fixed later today.

#730 ·
Ehh I actually think there is more leg room, especially in the backseat. Trunk space is smaller though, can't really fit my golf clubs in there unless I take out my driver and 3 wood.

I like how this thread has turned into us talking about the VW lol

#734 ·
lmao yeah it's pretty awesome. Test drive both just to see.

And yeah no HIDs on the base model is lame. The seats are also interesting (they are plaid if you haven't seen), but I actually like them.

#737 ·
Haha whatever.

Sold my winter tires/wheels, AP, and hellas today. That was easy.

Also selling the Turnin Concepts "Super Shifter Set" along with the transmission crossmember bushings if anyone wants it for $200. Never ended up installing it so it's brand new.

#739 ·
Hype. Though I have a coworker that is looking for a new car, and likes VW's. I'm trying to get him to check them out because they are really nice.

Btw, does anyone know of a rattle fix for the homelink mirror. That's like my only rattle, but it keeps getting louder :firemad:

#741 ·
I was kidding. From the performance perspective alone, it's not very fast for the money. But the car is leaps and bounds ahead of an STi in fit and finish. The GTI and R feel just a bit more upscale.

#753 ·
#749 ·
Without quoting every single post on this page...

The GTI is pretty cool. I'd never give up my Evo (as I'm hoping to keep it forever), but the thought of leasing a GTI as a daily driver crossed my mind. If HIDs are available on a vehicle then I want them, as I have owned two Evos, one with HIDs and one without... and the difference was huge. I like having things covered by warranty and don't necessarily want to have to splice wires and all that, so I'd want it from the factory. I built one online, and it ended up being a lot pricier than the base model, so I wasn't as open to it after that, but it's mostly because of the configuration that I wanted and the resulting price. I figured I'd rather just go for an A3 Sportback, which may be in the future -- I've mentioned that in another thread, I think the Consumer Reports one.

Unless you just absolutely love manual transmissions and refuse to get anything else, the DSG is pretty solid. I test drove one back in 2006 when they first came out (and would have bought one, except the four-door models didn't get released until mid-year, and I ended up buying my first Evo that same month I did the test drive), and it was nice and very quick, and that was even the very first release. If getting a GTI, I'd get the DSG over the stick. Plus it's more convenient so my girlfriend could drive it if needed. I'm sure many of you may have similar considerations. Also, it has one of the best steering wheels out there. I remember that standing out in my mind.

The Golf R is also cool, but it's not a good compromise. There is a Motor Trend review of the Golf R and the Evo X MR together, where the guy absolutely hates everything about the Evo while praising the Golf, until he goes to the track and complained about how completely neutered the Golf was in comparison, which is a difficult pill to swallow when talking about an AWD variant of a FWD hatchback that is already really sporty. I'd say that unless you're a VW fanatic and refuse to buy anything else, if you want AWD and fun, you'd be better off with an Evo or a WRX/STI for similar money. (Yes, the Evo in that comparison was more expensive, but they used the DCT-equipped MR, as the GSR would've been $35k, a tad less than the R.) But if you want AWD and better build quality, then get the Audi A3 Quattro, which is what my girlfriend and I might do in the next year or so, depending on how quickly she pays off her Corolla.

#750 ·
Yeah the Autobahn version that comes with the HIDs is waaay overpriced IMO. It's also the only version where you can get the leather seats.

I love the DSG so far, it's crazy how fast and smooth it shifts. The engine braking while slowing down to a stop light can be jerky, but I love it.

My only gripe so far with the car is this damn rattle from 2500-3000 RPMS during normal acceleration. It sounds like someone is shaking a can full of BB's. I did a little searching and it seems to be a common problem in almost all of VW's cars (there is a 115 page thread about the issue lol). Supposedly the only "fix" people have found for it is a $80 clip that gets rid of most of the noise. Emailed my dealer asking them about it and haven't heard anything back.

#751 ·
Yeah the Autobahn version that comes with the HIDs is waaay overpriced IMO. It's also the only version where you can get the leather seats.
I don't mind not having leather seats, but that means that the "cheapest" GTI with HIDs would be the model with Sunroof & Nav., which is only $2,000 less than the Autobahn model but nearly $4,000 more than the base model, again going by MSRPs (though of course I realize that you can still negotiate with the dealership). To elaborate on what I said earlier:

GTI 4-Door with Sunroof & Nav.: $28,545 (add $1,100 for DSG)
GTI 4-Door Autobahn: $30,595 (add $1,100 for DSG)
Golf R 4-Door: $35,590
Golf R 4-Door with Sunroof & Nav: $36,090
A3 Premium Plus FWD: $29,270 (add $1,480 for S tronic)
A3 Premium Plus Quattro with S tronic: $32,850

I think the GTI is solid, but if you're moving up to the higher trim levels, you're really not too far from a slightly more upscale A3, where you can at least get AWD as an option. (But to be fair, I have to point out that navigation is already in all of the VWs mentioned other than the base Golf R, while it's a stand-alone option in the A3 and not part of the listed prices.) Luckily, everything that most people would really want is already part of the standard model, unlike BMWs where the model with the features that you want ends up being $5,000+ above the base MSRP.

It's a shame that the 2014 Golfs have a crappy front end. I really like the current GTI's looks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.