Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY - Valve Clearance Adjust (K20A2/A3)

48K views 54 replies 42 participants last post by  criscris0123 
#1 ·
Didn't find that anyone else had done a DIY for this yet so I figured I'd join up and add this. I did the adjust a while ago and I thought i had more pics but I'll work with what I have - I borrowed some screen shots from the FSM for clarity (My first DIY so be kind).

Maintenance Time!

Parts / Tools
  1. Valve Cover Gasket
  2. Gasket Material
  3. 10MM Socket
  4. 12MM Socket
  5. 3/4" Socket
  6. Long 1/2" Extension + Ratchet (Rotating Engine)
  7. Spark Plug Socket + 3/8" Extension
  8. Feeler Guage

Valve Adjust - Mine is a K20A3 but the specs are just a bit different for the A2 and there's a few more of em to check. This should be checked with the engine cold as well.

• Step 1 - Jack up the car and put it on jack stands. Remove the front driver side wheel so you can access the port to the crank bolt to roll the engine over manually to hit TDC for each cylinder.
  • Step 2 - Remove the intake cover and the spark plug cover.
  • Step 3 - Next disconnect the plugs for the coils and pull the spark plugs - I'm not sure if it's required but I labeled each one as I took it out to make sure it went back in the same place.

You should end up with something looking about like this.

• Step 4 - Now comes the fun! Remove the valve cover and set it aside.

All opened up.

• Step 5 - Now it's time to rotate the engine to get to TDC on the #1 Cylinder. Below is the location of the cylinders facing the front of the engine as well as the adjuster screw locations.

TDC on the #1 Cylinder is setup by lining up the marks on the VTC actuator and the exhaust cam gear (C) and verify that both B and A are as they are shown.

• Step 6 - With Cylinder #1 where it is you can now break out the feeler gauge - (I found the Craftsman angled one made life a whole lot easier).

You should insert the feeler gauge between the top of the valve and the adjusting screw on the intake and exhaust valves.

To get the correct size, start with one that is in the middle of spec and move up or down accordingly. You should feel slight drag on the gauge when moving it around, not too much and not to loose. If it is out of the listed spec than break the nut loose and tight or loosen as necessary and re-check your clearance.

• Step 7 - Move on to Cylinder #3 by rotating the crank 180 degrees clockwise and verify the marks are as follows.

• Step 8 - Move on to Cylinder #4 by rotating the crank 180 degrees clockwise and verify the marks are as follows.

• Step 8 - Move on to Cylinder #2 by rotating the crank 180 degrees clockwise and verify the marks are as follows.

• Step 9 - Now that your done you can slap everything back together - BE SURE to put the gasket material in the locations show below or otherwise it will leak - ask me how I know. :run: Then tighten in the order show below as well.

All done!

Criticism / Suggestions wanted. I have gotten alot of info from this forum over the past 2 years, figured it was time to give a wee bit back

See less See more
#36 ·
uh oh, you might want to stop now. lol

#38 ·
attempting this tomorrow night. picking up the gasket from honda and some liquid gasket for those 4 corners.

did you guys have to remove the airbox prior to taking this thing off? how do you get that little tube off prior to removing the valve cover?

#44 ·
Beautiful writeup, this was the easiest valve job I've ever done. Usually on other cars , it's impossible to keep the adjustment when you tighten. On this engine I had no issues at all.

AND, best of all the ticking went away when I was done!

#47 ·
I've been meaning to do this... hasn't been done for more then 100000km :noes: Just have to make sure I have everything before I attempt it as it is my only means of transportation... Gunna see if I can get everything for next weekend... Just one stupid question, the intakes valve (a2) needs to be 0.21-0.25mm (0.008-0.010 SAE(inch)) so I could use a 0.203 (0.008), 0.229 (0.009) or a 0.254 (0.010) feeler correct?? And for exhaust 0.25(0.010) -0.29 (0.011) I could use a 0.254(0.010) or 0.279(0.011) feeler... I know how stupid this is to ask and I guess my question is more which one should I use the bigger or smaller size?... it's just first time doing it and can't have any problems.. Nice write up though:thumbsup:

If I'm not mistaken you MUST use a new valve cover gasket with Hondabond on the corners in certain areas...

#52 ·
I'm at 104k now i'm thinking about doing this but I have no tools or knowledge...
I mean I've done suspension/exhaust/intake but never this...should I leave it to the pros? I don't like paying allot but I don't like messing up either lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.