Frank Build Internal Question - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Engine Building & Design
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
curiouscrusher

curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Frank Build Internal Question

So to start with, I've poured over threads on here for hours gathering info on frank building. However, I've still got a few fuzzy points that have the potential to blow a motor if I don't get the details right

What I've got:
K24A4 Accord long block (fully disassembled, I took it out of my old EP3)
K20A2 long block in my Type-S currently (leaking head gasket is forcing me to start a build)
A2 head, ported for high flow (I think it came from an EP, though I'm not sure, it was included with parts from my EP3 when I bought it 7yrs ago)

What I'd like to do short term is build a K24A2 from the accord block, and the ported A2 head. I'm not looking to make a crazy built motor, just something reliable for a DD, that I can drive spirited, gotta use that VTEC
What I'm not sure about is what pistons and rods I can use. I've seen people suggest using TSX rods, as well as just the K24 rods from the block. Same for pistons, except there I've seen TSX and RSX suggested. Which combination can I use to avoid dropping a valve and having a very sad day?

I'll have the Type-S pistons from my RSX when I break it down, and I've got the K24A4 pistons from the accord long block, would either of these work? Since I don't have any plans to boost this engine, I'm not really looking to do aftermarket rods/pistons, unless I have to for fitment. Though I would think getting a fresh set of OEM pistons would be wise here.
For the valvetrain I'll be going all stock as well, A2 cams and springs, fresh seals and clips. I can always upgrade that later on with much less difficulty than internals. And obviously I'll be grabbing a KPRO for tuning, and CRV passenger side mount.

Any help and advice is much appreciated!
curiouscrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
dustyboner
Turbo Bonertron

dustyboner User will be banned for a week, please report them to an Admin
- the stock a4 rods will hold over 400hp as long as your not reving too high.

- go with something other than the k24a4 pistons (they will technically work if you limit the VTC to about 30).

- i don't think RSX pistons will work casue the k20 pistons are 1mm smaller than the k24 ones.

Last edited by dustyboner; 06-19-2017 at 09:04 AM..
dustyboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
curiouscrusher

curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiouscrusher is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboner View Post
- the stock a4 rods will hold over 400hp as long as your not reving too high.

- go with something other than the k24a4 pistons (they will technically work if you limit the VTC to about 30).

- i don't think RSX pistons will work casue the k20 pistons are 1mm smaller than the k24 ones.
Awesome thanks for the info dusty
So I could stick with the A4 rods and look at grabbing a set of OEM TSX pistons then? That way I don't have to worry with limiting the VTC on my cal. I'm not the most rev happy guy, especially not when running a K24... Even on my fully built EP3 I think I only hit the limiter a couple times, not including the 9k pulls for tuning that beast.
curiouscrusher is offline   Reply With Quote