Looking for upgrade from a Type-S - Page 2 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Auto Talk
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 12:36 AM   #26
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TypeS4Jesus View Post
I test drove a 2012 Audi 2.0T Quattro last night with 49k miles. It was 6 speed manual AWD.

I was... soo confused. It was one of the quietest engines full throttle. It had torque in every RPM of every gear. Also had more buttons and features than I needed lol.

It sounded perfect on paper. But driving it felt just barely more fun than an automatic and just wasn't worth the shifting IMO. Plus the gates sucked.

I'm leaning towards a Honda Accord Sport now. Almost the same engine as my old RSX just revs lower and has more room. They look pretty clean from 2013-2015 and have a fair amount of features. I just love the reliability of Honda and the clutch/gearboxes.
Remember that while that 2.0T is pretty flexible, it's the same motor in virtually the same tune that powers a lot of cars in VW's lineup, which includes stuff like the Jetta. It can hustle, but outside of the GTI, it's not going to make you feel very alive.

With regards to the Accord that you're looking at, how is it "almost the same engine"? Just curious what you mean by that.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #27
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
My car friend that is really fond of German engineering and I have discussed the newer Accords and man they are just a beautiful car. They got the styling right. Elegant. Looks like a 5 series almost. Better than the older Accords that's for sure.

Anyways, the engine is almost the same, no? If he gets a 2.4L version the newer one is a Direct Injected Earth Dreams K-motor and the previous gen is the K24Z3. So he's not that far off in saying that. It's no K24A2 but it's no R-motor or 6cyl .

edit: Actually, the K24Z3 looks to be more similar to K24A2 than I realized. And the DI K24W just falls a lil short spec-wise (only 6800rpm redline) but has a lil more torque so I'd say it balances out

Last edited by IronGumby; 03-09-2017 at 10:50 AM..
IronGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #28
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
How exactly is the K24 like the RSX's motor

Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #29
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It is a K. It is 4-cyl. It is DOHC. It is i-VTEC. It is only 1mm larger bore. I mean, it's not the same 8kprm revving motor no, sure, but this 2.4L Accord isn't that far off from the TSX/Si motors. I can agree that the RSX motor is not the same as the TSX motor, but they are similar, in the loosest sense, which is all he was saying.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #30
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

I read "almost the same engine." Apparently my interpretation of that is different.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #31
JustRite305
GJS

JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain08 View Post
e46fanatics.com, zhpmafia.com, bimmerforums.com, bimmerfest.com

Consider the fact that a 4 door BMW is a very luxurious yet sporty car that has plenty of track potential. You will have to invest a bit more in repairs/maintenance in the beginning depending on the condition of the used car but it will last. Mine has 163,xxx miles of track and spirited street driving and I've only had to replace the water pump, and fuel pump outside of other normal wear items like clutch, brakes, tires, etc.

The insurance benefit and lack of police attention over an evo almost makes it a no-brainer.
It's funny you mention this, I recently considered trading my RSX for a 335i... And I'm sure you have been fortunate with your BMW.. But from what I researched and spoke to my mechanic who specializes in BMW and Porsche, "a bit more in repairs" is an understatement in my opinion (depending on model obviously).

Either way, you are going from the RSX, reliability champ, to the complete opposite. If I had the cash right now to repair the way I like it, I probably would've traded it and dumped a bunch of money in it and be super happy but if you don't have a grand in reserve for when it breaks down you are screwed. It'll be only a matter of time the car will break down. Don't get me wrong I love the car but when someone goes from RSX to BMW it's going to be a huge difference for them maintenance/repair-wise.
P.s. 163k miles on your car is impressive

To OP, Not in your budget but you could always wait for the new type R !

2003 Dark Pearl Blue RSX - Totalled...
JustRite305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #32
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

That new Type R just doesn't seem like it's worth the money.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #33
InZain08

InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRite305 View Post
But from what I researched and spoke to my mechanic who specializes in BMW and Porsche, "a bit more in repairs" is an understatement in my opinion (depending on model obviously)...
Based on my first-hand experience, the only expensive aspects of BMW cars are parts and insurance. I'm sure that BMW specialty shops charge $100+/hr in labor but the trick is to do as much of the work on your own like I and so many others do. If the OP were to purchase a used E46 there should be some initial work done, same as any other used car. As long as you do the work yourself, BMW is not much more than owning an RSX.

Quote:
P.s. 163k miles on your car is impressive
Any car can reach 200k miles and continue going strong as long as its properly maintained.
InZain08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #34
JustRite305
GJS

JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustRite305 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain08 View Post
Based on my first-hand experience, the only expensive aspects of BMW cars are parts and insurance. I'm sure that BMW specialty shops charge $100+/hr in labor but the trick is to do as much of the work on your own like I and so many others do. If the OP were to purchase a used E46 there should be some initial work done, same as any other used car. As long as you do the work yourself, BMW is not much more than owning an RSX.

Any car can reach 200k miles and continue going strong as long as its properly maintained.
Yea I understand. Proper maintenance always helps. And I guess the model I was looking at is a bit different than the one you have.

@Deeznuts 83
Seems high, but you go to a dealer for a new car and a majority of them are border line 30k and up. Car prices are just ridiculous overall in the market.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #35
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

True, but I just have a hard time justifying paying that much for a FWD car that to me still hasn't made its bones.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #36
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

hah, I had to Google that saying. It is pricey, sure, but at least they staying competitive. I was excited about getting an FK2 someday. I so wish that brought that one to the States but that gen is already over (2 years)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #37
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

You mean the car that Honda modified for its 'Ring lap that they bragged about then they vowed to re-do it with a bone stock model to replicate the lap time but never did?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #38
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

I never read about that now. It's not as bad as it seems. Apparently the roll cage was for safety and thus was installed with bushings so as not to increase rigidity, and then the A/C, stereo, and passenger seat were removed to compensate for the weight gain
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #39
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

It doesn't SEEM bad, but think about it.

Sure, it doesn't sound like much was changed, but while the weight was more or less the same, the weight distribution could have been different. The roll cage sits neatly between the two axles while they pulled weight from areas that rest more on the front axle. What if companies started doing similar things that result in weight being shifted more favorably, like installing trunk-mounted batteries (because hey, the weight is still the same) for their test cars?

Yes, the roll cage adds safety, but it adds rigidity too. Just because they said they didn't add it for that purpose doesn't mean that it's not an effect. Don't believe them for a second, tons of way faster cars with double the output do Ring tests without roll cages, I don't think it was so necessary for safety that a 300 hp FWD Civic hatchback needed so much more protection that other cars doing the exact same test didn't need.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 AM   #40
03TypeS4Jesus

03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
So a lil update.. I almost bought a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L today.
Thing was off the chain. I know it's rare to find a manual but I did.. It's like Honda's hidden gem. The V6 got plenty of torque and is a beast stock. The backseats had a surprising amount of legroom to where I actually fit there comfortably (6'1) so I could care less about the 4 door as much haha.

Waiting on a response on my offer for it.
Gonna test drive another white 2013 civic si sedan this time instead of a coupe. I hope my head fits in it. I figure I can slap on some rpf1s, wider tires, bolt ons and a tune and maybe a supercharger/small turbo later on and it will be a perfect car for me.
03TypeS4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #41
JustRite305
GJS

Nice, I like that model accord. Great car overall. Didn't know they even came in manual.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 AM   #42
03TypeS4Jesus

03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Nice, I like that model accord. Great car overall. Didn't know they even came in manual.
I was car shopping today and they hit me back and lowered the price 1k so I bought it!

2003 Type S to a 2014 Accord EX-L

Feels good man.

Will post pics soon. Has only 16.3k miles.. almost brand new.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #43
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

Congrats! Crazy that a 14 year old car has that few miles.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #44
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Congrats! Crazy that a 14 year old car has that few miles.
My 2014 Honda Accord EX-L V6-6MT has only 16k miles!
It had an older owner that barely drove it. Was a sweet deal. My RSX had 107k when it was totaled. Still low miles mint condition. RIP

Anyways here's some pics.. not the best quality but yeah.

Last edited by 03TypeS4Jesus; 04-14-2017 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: forgot pics
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #45
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

Oh whoops, I got it backwards haha. But still, congrats! Still low mileage regardless. A little over a year ago I helped one of my younger cousins find a 2012 Lexus IS250 and it only had something like 10-11k miles (and then still came with the CPO warranty). Similar situation where the previous owner was an older driver who was retired and didn't do much driving.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #46
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

It's a coupe! Really cool. I just assumed you were talking about a sedan. Nice pickup!

Next is the Hondata Reflash ($300 but you have to send in ECU). Add an Injen intake and you get increased top end! (see second dyno)
https://www.hondata.com/products/ref...13-mt?filter=5

Says you can run 91 octane fuel for even more torque. Edit: The same dyno post on the FlashPro page clarifies it was the Injen dyno is on 91 oct. https://www.hondata.com/flashpro-accord-2013-v6

Hmm... alternatively, you can keep your ECU (unlike reflash) and save some money (FlashPro is $700) and get KtunerFlash for $450!: http://ktuner.com/13accordv6/

Last edited by IronGumby; 04-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: 91 oct clarification; Ktuner
IronGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #47
G3min1
Curious Gooner

G3min1 is on a distinguished road G3min1 is on a distinguished road
Garage
I literally thought you needed 4 doors....
Cons: Your car can blow up

Supercharger Pros: You get that distinctive supercharger whine going down the street.
Cons: Your car can blow up
"Beating a Dead Horse Crew " Member #1
G3min1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #48
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
I literally thought you needed 4 doors....
lol, he did say that in his original post! Guess he just needed usable backseats is all
Old 04-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #49
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Oh whoops, I got it backwards haha. But still, congrats! Still low mileage regardless. A little over a year ago I helped one of my younger cousins find a 2012 Lexus IS250 and it only had something like 10-11k miles (and then still came with the CPO warranty). Similar situation where the previous owner was an older driver who was retired and didn't do much driving.

Thanks man!
God is good!!
Old 04-18-2017, 03:37 AM   #50
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
It's a coupe! Really cool. I just assumed you were talking about a sedan. Nice pickup!

Next is the Hondata Reflash ($300 but you have to send in ECU). Add an Injen intake and you get increased top end! (see second dyno)
https://www.hondata.com/products/ref...13-mt?filter=5

Says you can run 91 octane fuel for even more torque. Edit: The same dyno post on the FlashPro page clarifies it was the Injen dyno is on 91 oct. https://www.hondata.com/flashpro-accord-2013-v6

Hmm... alternatively, you can keep your ECU (unlike reflash) and save some money (FlashPro is $700) and get KtunerFlash for $450!: http://ktuner.com/13accordv6/
Yeah, I'm gonna install a CAI as soon as I can. Next would be ktuner.
Then I'll wear out the stock tires in time for me to pick a set of rims/tires/coils to go well with the car. Trying to decide whether I want 19' or 20's or what even looks good it's kind of hard! Def want it to look clean and save some weight without breaking the bank aha.