turbo k20a2 build thread (for fun) - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Engine Building & Design
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
rushdylan

rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
turbo k20a2 build thread (for fun)

Well fellas, i dont have many posts here. i havent been the owner of a honda/acura for longer than 5 months and its already time to make some ponies.

my story: i come from the subaru community. i've owned various wrx's. sti's, and sti swapped wrx's. i simply love the cars! they're amazing. however just over a year ago i had been time attacking a mountain road alone at 3:00am (on my way to work) and i went a little out of control and sent the car down a 150 foot cliff. completely ruined the car. the funny part is, this isnt the first time this has happened (by now you're probably thinking im an idiot and i agree with you ) anyways, i was very sad to see my very expensive and fully built sti completely trashed. my mom was there to assure me i'd never own another fast car again in my life. man i was upset! but i understand her worries about my safety as this was not the first time i had awoken upside down at the bottom of a cliff. she knew i built high horsepower cars and knew it could happen again. anyways, check out the pictures!!
(only damage to me was the black eye)

so after buying an f-150 and driving that and my dirtbike around for about a year, i needed something with some speed. i have a massive paxton centrifugal blower but the ole ford wasnt gonna take the boost. i knew i needed something that wouldnt appear fast to mom so i picked up the ole 2003 RSX-S! it had an intake when i bought it but thats it. for a month or so i enjoyed the good fuel mileage and very loud v-tec sound. but it was still dog slow. came across a JRSC kit for $1,700 so of course i needed it! picked up a race header and Kpro and went to town! it made 320whp on the stock catback!! it was a race header to a stock 2002 catback to keep it factory quiet so mom didnt know it was becoming fast. the new turbo setup will utilize a stock type-r exhaust but with a boost activated cutout at 5psi or so at the header.

well after a week or two of fun supercharged times, the clutch died. so i pulled it for a pucked clutch setup from clutch masters. while it was out, i tossed a new gear set in the tranny and an LSD for obvious reasons. she ran great! but one day while scooting around with a friend who is new to fast cars, it suddenly felt like it lost 50hp during a pull. sure as shit! pulled it apart and it melted a piston.
it is still unsure if it was related to too much timing or not enough fuel. or a mixture of both. being that i did not have an intercooler or aftercooler and was running 13psi, i believe more fuel would have cooled it a little more and possibly not melted the piston. However im not the best tuner in the world and i also cant lay the blame on my tuner and ask for a refund or help to repair the engine.

so by now it was clear i needed a new motor or to rebuild this one. the initial plan was to rebuild this one stock and go have more fun. then i thought of a k24, but ultimately decided on building the k20a2 and going turbo.

i didnt plan on going this in depth with the build and i definitely could have sleeved it but i decided to stay on stock sleeves as i dont plan to exceed 600whp with this car (for now )

as of now i have the following parts and machine work done:
- Golden eagle super seal head gasket (86.5mm)
- golden eagle vacuum block
- golden eagle oil cap
- eagle H beam rods
- king main and rod bearings
- ACL thrust bearings
- wiseco pistons (.5 over)
- ARP head studs
- innovative full billet mount kit
- torque plate hone by GE
- step deck by GE
- hondata thermal gaskets
- still on the kpro but will upgrade to V4 for flex fuel
- skunk 2 fuel rail
- grams 320LPH fuel pump

things on the to get list:

- twin disc clutch (still unsure on which one to get)
- grams 1150 E85 compatible injectors
- RBC manifold/adapter
- full turbo kit
- possibly PPG 1-4 gear set
- springs/retainers
- cams
- fuel lines, AN's, and FPR to complete fuel return setup
- whatever else im forgetting. i know theres more.

progress so far:
the engine is almost a complete short block. i made great progress in 3 days as i didnt have a single part for the build or any machine work at that time!

pictures will be updated as progress happens. a lot happened in the past 3 days but the project will be on hold for just a little while as i need to rebuild two dirtbikes and work! But things are always happening for the car! i never forget about the go fast builds! any input, opinions, or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by rushdylan; 03-20-2017 at 02:38 AM..
rushdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
rushdylan

rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
update: short block is assembled. still waiting on timing components and springs/retainers to finish the build. will likely go with a Z3 cam in this build. still trying to decide on what clutch to get. any input on the clutch is appreciated.

for anybody who cares:
top ring: .020"
2nd ring: .022"
mains: .0018-.002"
rods .0018-.002"
deck is -.007 from stock
sleeves are -.004" from stock
piston to wall: .0035"

Last edited by rushdylan; 03-20-2017 at 02:36 AM..
Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
speedfreak0920

speedfreak0920 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Looks fun as hell . Keep us posted
speedfreak0920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
NH-DC5

NH-DC5 User will be banned for a week, please report them to an Admin
Garage
Whoa! Lucky to be alive! Those Subie's do go fast! Welcome and the car looks sweet! Pretty impressive you are doing the rebuild.
NH-DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
Sayne_ep3

Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sayne_ep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Good build keep us updated
Sayne_ep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 AM   #6
rushdylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-DC5 View Post
Whoa! Lucky to be alive! Those Subie's do go fast! Welcome and the car looks sweet! Pretty impressive you are doing the rebuild.
The subaru kept me safe! and thank you, my first ever build was about 5 years ago on a wrx i had bought. to this date, i have blueprinted 4 engines, and rebuilt more than i can count on my fingers and toes twice. i was blessed with a decent selection of tools as i was growing up (thanks to my dad being a mechanic) although most were in standard sizes, i slowly grew my setup to be damn near my dream setup as a kid. only thing i need to add now is an end mill.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
rushdylan

still waiting on timing components. have been looking more into the fuel system lately. cant decide on an injector. a lot of people from the honda community are recommending Grams injectors but i have always used Injector dynamics in the past. can anybody shed some light on the grams injectors ? been trying to calculate what size injector i need as well. the ID1000 injectors are $475 and anything larger is a steady $900! im hoping to be able to utilize a 1,000cc injector with a higher fuel pressure while keeping injector duty cycles at 88% max. with me not knowing how much boost it will take to achieve 500whp, it makes this difficult! however, ID claims the 1,000cc injector will take 101psi. but that doesnt mean i wish to run a pressure that high.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #8
rushdylan

had an extremely busy day today. went to court for a speeding ticket (87 in a 70) and the case got dismissed as the officer was a no show. was very stoked about that. after running all around for harness materials and a few other things, i started on the stock location wire tuck today.

what im doing is tucking the harness as best i can while utilizing the stock wiring. it will shrink it by about 50% of its overall diameter and mass. its EXTREMELY time consuming but is also extremely cost effective when compared to a chase bays or rywire harness. this is my first time doing this so im struggling from time to time but is overall coming out decent. heres a before and after picture. im probably only 1/4 way done with the harness at the moment.

Last edited by rushdylan; 03-20-2017 at 02:34 AM..
Old 01-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
NH-DC5

NH-DC5 User will be banned for a week, please report them to an Admin
Garage
Cool I need to do a tuck on my ride. Afraid the wire harness is going to melt some day since it's right near the turbo! Congrats on escaping a fine!
NH-DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:09 AM   #10
rushdylan

timing components FINALLY arrived on friday night at 8:00PM!
made a ton of progress between my car, getting the drag car ready for drag racing nationals (then the rain shut down the event), figured out the problem with my dirtbike engine that ive been troubleshooting for months, took a trip to the mountain and hit the slopes, then back home for the last steps of motor assembly. was a very busy past few days. was pretty upset with the processing time that kseriesparts had given me. but ohwell, i have the parts now so no worries. so heres more picture for for all you guys.

here are the supertech 92lb springs installed. i opted to stay with the OEM retainer. i've seen many failures on aftermarket retainers and none on OEM retainers. and not only in the honda industry either.

i guess you could say i "shaved" the upper coolant housing. i removed the secondary air injection hose and valve, then i removed the nipples which supply coolant to the throttle body and that valve cover vent tube deal. not sure why they want to heat the air exiting the valve cover but whatever. ended up welding the holes shut in the coolant housing and clamping the coolant pipe nipples shut and micro welding them shut. the vice left a rather ugly appearance on the coolant pipe nipples but they're gonna hold all day long. so no worries.

since the welder was on, i decided to try out some titanium welding. i was pretty pleased with the results in the short time that i've been trying this stuff (maybe a total of 45 minutes). once the car is done, ill be making a custom pie cut titanium intake off the turbo. also throwing around the idea of doing a down pipe with it but we'll see. these welds are not back purged. but once the intake is being made, ill set up my welding machine with a purge assembly.

the engine is nearing completion. the head is on, cams are in, timing chain installed and aligned, water pump housing, alternator, etc. all on. the rest will be bolting on the timing cover, throwing on the oil pan, and then the valve cover and the tucked harness. then she is ready to drop in and will give it hell for a break in.

here is the only launch we were able to accomplish at the nationals. unfortunately it was just after we put the street tires on and were loading the car onto the trailer. it is a mazda speed 3 with an amazing build list! at the moment, the turbo is maxed out at 600whp. the engine is built for 1,000whp and the built transmission is on its way. after that, its gonna get a much larger turbo and manifold to support that type of power.

closing: will be going at the motor all day tomorrow. as long as everything goes smooth, ill have the motor in the car tomorrow and begin the break in. then park it and begin on the custom sidewinder manifold that ill be building for it. very happy with everything at this point but there is still tons of work to be done! as well as tons of money to be spent.

Last edited by rushdylan; 03-20-2017 at 02:33 AM..
Old 03-12-2017, 03:05 AM   #11
rushdylan

another update: engine is in the car, has roughly 300 miles on it. everything seems perfect. compression test came out at 180/177/177/180.

swapped to a 320LPH grams in-tank pump today and the fuel pressure seems to have bumped 10-15psi. not sure if ill pull the pump or just pull fuel from it. but we'll see. need to talk with somebody who has a better knowledge on these high flow in-tank pumps. any input is appreciated.

turbo build is put on hold slightly. waiting on the intercooler core before i start the end tank design. however the end tank design is pulled up on the CFD software to figure out the best possible efficiency.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
wow amazing you survived that subaru roll!!!

Nice engine build though on the RSX!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:35 AM   #13
rushdylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Spaz View Post
wow amazing you survived that subaru roll!!!

Nice engine build though on the RSX!
Thank you! Your participation in these forums are very helpful. I'm actually doing my fuel system exact to the write up you posted for the fuel return setup! The fuel system is nearly done.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 AM   #14
rushdylan

fuel system is complete with return. Been very busy and the build is taking much longer than expected. up next will be the fabrication of the intercooler. have my core in mind but still running end tanks through CFD software to decide the best flow and efficiency.

on the list before manifold build:
- power steering tuck (likely still retain the hydraulic system rather than EPS swap.)
- ABS delete (not motivated to run new lines.)
- A/C tuck (its beginning to get very hot here in socal.)

also, have 550 miles on the motor. everything is great so far. i'd say shes broken in and ready for boost by now.

[/URL]

40 micron filter

Last edited by rushdylan; 03-20-2017 at 02:47 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #15
rushdylan

went to the store for a new wideband today but ended up leaving with this hybrid racing shifter. LOVE it. as people usually say, WHY DID I NOT DO THIS SOONER?!

i already had the shifter bushings in the shift cables and already had the solid mounts for the shifter box. there is still an uncomparable difference!