How much does a k24a2 swap into an RSX Cost? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > All Motor
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
Brandon13buckley
1 of few active members..

Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
How much does a k24a2 swap into an RSX Cost?

Hey everyone I'm just finishing up my k24a2 swap and really only went into this with a rough idea on what to spend but I'm going to show you exactly what it will cost to do this swap.

So from the start the swap is going to be different for a type s and 5 speed as the harnesses are different, so some of you may have to factor in the price of a type s harness and ecu for kpro, and I did constant research and browsed for good deals on parts.

Here is what I spent on all parts for the swap(Keep in mind prices are in CAD)

Necessary for swap

08 TSX k24a2 engine ($1450 tax in)
CRV Mount and gates hose ($80)
OEM Clutch, stupid not to replace at this point($200)
Resurface flywheel($100)
Kpro(already purchase but $1100)
Rbc Intake manifold ($250, Nessecary in 06-08 tsx motor if you want to keep IACV)
Ktuned RBC adapter ($80)
Oil, coolant and hoses, miscellaneous ($100)
Serpentine belt
Air intake( I already had an Injen CAI $300)
Many Different exhaust setups, being conservative and can get by with ($600)
Flywheel cover, which some k24's dont come with($50)
DynoTune(around $500 depending on tuner, etune availble from TKTuned for around $250 if i remember right)

Optional which I chose to go with
Exedy lightweight flywheel($250 more)
Competition stage 1.5 clutch ($300)

And what most would replace but I was skimping out as funds were running low
Motor Mounts($300)
K20a2 Oil pump from kmod($400)
All swapped sesnors(Knock, crank, and cam position sensors=$300)
Upgraded exhaust(3" catback with good rh, extra $400)

So basically you could do the swap for around $3500USD starting from nothing and spending as little on uneeded parts, would be cheaper if you went for the 04, 05 tsx because the motors are cheaper and could get by with the rbb, I believe my total bill with Everything from before and bought for the swap that is essential to the swap was right around $4000CAD. Was able to break even with all the parts from the swap by swapping my old motor into a car and sell that car which is an idea for some of you to, and I also have a spare k20a2 motor out of that car with low compression I may save for a turbo build or could sell down the road I haven't decided yet.

I hope some of you find this useful with updated prices and options, haven't had a chance to drive the car but holy its exciting!!! Good luck everyone!!
Brandon13buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Choser
Dead again.

Choser is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
This is something that I really wanted to hear.

You kept the existing transmission correct? I have a Base RSX, and I wanted to go to a six speed, do all K transmissions bolt up to all engines?

Where did you get your engine? Ebay or is there a better place for that? How can you be certain about the mileage on the used engine you buy? How many were on yours?

Any plans to build it up? Sounds like having a new engine out of the car is the perfect time to give it a few internal upgrades.
Choser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
Brandon13buckley

Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Brandon13buckley might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
From what I've heard all of the rsx transmissions would bolt up, can't see why not the 5speed bolts up to k20a2 fine so why wouldn't it work vice versa with k24a2?? And I got my motor from a salvage yard, went over saw the car turned key read odometer and looked at vins and they all matched up, got compression tested before I bought it to. I guess thats all i can tell as I didn't see the car running but I doubt they'd go through that trouble.

The k24a2 i bought had 96,000 kms on it when I picked it up or so all the evidence says. I literally called around for 3 hours and browsed local buy and sell sites constantly till I felt confident, as I suggest is a very good idea for anyone to do. As far as the k20a2 that has low compression, I have a k24a4 that I was originally goona frank before so it would seem like a stupid idea not to seeing as I have a k24a4 bottom and a type s head that are just calling to be paired but im not sure.

Will see how I like the k24a2 and go from there

Old 08-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
viscousgoo
Bone stock, eh

viscousgoo is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Nice swap! I've been thinking about having a K24A2 swapped into my 02 type S for about a year now, so I'm really interested in your impression of the swap after you've had a chance to drive the car for a while. I'll end up paying a bunch more than you though as I'm not going to do the work myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13buckley View Post
Rbc Intake manifold ($250, Nessecary in 06-08 tsx motor if you want to keep IACV)
Actually, you could use the 06-08 RBB intake manifold with the Karcepts RRC adapter and retain IACV: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showpost.p...&postcount=214

Out of curiosity, how was the clearance with the K24 and RBC? Did you have to notch your hood and/or remove the hood prop support?
viscousgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Brandon13buckley

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousgoo View Post
Nice swap! I've been thinking about having a K24A2 swapped into my 02 type S for about a year now, so I'm really interested in your impression of the swap after you've had a chance to drive the car for a while. I'll end up paying a bunch more than you though as I'm not going to do the work myself.

Actually, you could use the 06-08 RBB intake manifold with the Karcepts RRC adapter and retain IACV: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showpost.p...&postcount=214

Out of curiosity, how was the clearance with the K24 and RBC? Did you have to notch your hood and/or remove the hood prop support?
I was kinda forced to do it myself in order to make it financially doable. Ill be sure to keep you updated plan is for it to be put on the dyno the end of this week or first of next week to see what it does. Seeing that makes me so frustrated, I searched around for hours but it looked like it was either rbc or rbb with no iacv, guess I shouldve looked harder .I'll be sure to let you know on the rbc as soon as I get the manifold on, currently the last part im awaiting on the build car is looking awful sad sitting there collecting dust

Last edited by Brandon13buckley; 08-15-2016 at 08:37 PM..
Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Expunged

Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Also you might need o2 sensors. The kpro calls for 02-04 sensors if going in a 05-06.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
blackeg

blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackeg is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
ive got about 500 miles now on my k24a2 swapped 03 base. its not a high revving monster but it sneaks up on you quickly how fast you are going.

few things i learned:

this chassis is such a pain in the ass to work on compared to integras, and all civics from 88-00. i feel like eevery damn thing you have to take off has at least one bolt that has something in the way.

the base 5spd will bolt to the block. they dont really make clutches for the base flywheel, so you need a type s flywheel for the bolt and dowel pin pattern to match. the flywheel will bolt to the crank no probs. i went with the comp stage 2 so far so good pedal is not stiff at all.

too many people imo are quick to swap out the rbb intake mani. the motor is a lower to mid range motor id soo much rather have an extra 20 ftlbs at 4000 rpm than 10-20 hp at 7000 rpm. if you keep the rbb you need an 03-05 accord tb before they went drive by wire. a type s will fit with the adapter plate. the base tb wont fit unless you redrill the new bolt pattern in the manifold. you will likely loose cruise control since the cable wont mount to the tb properly. supposedly you can use another throttle cable i just havent had time to try it.

before you guys swap in the new motor, its a great time to replace timing chain, tensioner, lash the valves etc. just make sure you have a full tube of rtv silicone for reassembly lol. ps when you pull the crank pulley you loose the seal on the front mainseal so order some extras.

the stock kpro calibration runs afr in the low to mid 12s once you go open loop.
ive slowly been working on the tune, locking one cam angle at a time. even with some runs up into vtec and a lot of idling, i see 25-27mpg non highway

overall i think it also cost me somewhere in the mid 3000 range for the swap stuff itself, but i also replaced the shocks, brakes, balljoints and wheel bearings etc while it was all apart. combined with 3000 for the car itself its around 7500 total for a car that would probably sell for 4500 lol. you dont do this to get rich i guess
blackeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
AR-15Lover

AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AR-15Lover is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Cost me 700 labor at a shop and I got my 04 k24a2 for 1000out the door from LKQ but it had 140k miles
AR-15Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Enjoitheweeknd

Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Good info man. Brandon13buckley, I have basically the same setup as you. What are your opinions on the k24a2 compare to the k20(z1 or a2) (which ever you had before). I feel like it was worth. Also please post after you have gotten your tune dude. I am in the same situation as you. All I need is a tune(been driving on k24a2 basemap for almost half a year)(no problems). But is the tune worth the $? You gotta let us know if you feel the difference before/after the tune.

My mods:
- 08 tsx k24a2
- Injen SRI intake
- Ktuned header
- k20z1 trans
- RBC Manifold
- Type S Trottle body
Enjoitheweeknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
marko16

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks for this as I plan my cars future. Given I could add a pile of HP with a supercharger or ?, would that be easier, and or less reliable?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
Enishi26
VTEC Connoisseur

Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoitheweeknd View Post
Good info man. Brandon13buckley, I have basically the same setup as you. What are your opinions on the k24a2 compare to the k20(z1 or a2) (which ever you had before). I feel like it was worth. Also please post after you have gotten your tune dude. I am in the same situation as you. All I need is a tune(been driving on k24a2 basemap for almost half a year)(no problems). But is the tune worth the $? You gotta let us know if you feel the difference before/after the tune.

My mods:
- 08 tsx k24a2
- Injen SRI intake
- Ktuned header
- k20z1 trans
- RBC Manifold
- Type S Trottle body
I'm in the exact same boat. Been on a base map for about 8 months. Is it worth the tune? Or should I just wait even longer because eventually I'm going to swap my k20z1 head on with cams
Enishi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Enjoitheweeknd

Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enjoitheweeknd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Enishi26. Same here man. I have my k20z1 head just waiting to be put on. I might just get a extra k24a2 bottom and build a frank k20/24 on the side. And swap out my full k24a2 and put in the Frank k20/24 once I have everything ready.
Enjoitheweeknd is offline   Reply With Quote