Which turbo kit is right for you? - Page 18 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > Turbo
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #426
jluke19

jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jluke19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
What do i need to do before i put a turbo on my 2002 type s? Is it necessary to change the pistons and rings? And what else would anything else need to be done before the installation?
jluke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #427
DanBlueRSX

DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DanBlueRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i want a turbo that spools out 1000hp!!!
DanBlueRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #428
silverpikachu

silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
what turbo kit would you guys recommend me. im looking for a 280-320hp with stock internals. cars is it a dd but I do drive it at least 3-4times a week. my car is a 05 type s and its all stock besides suspension. other then that, I have kpro and rbc but not installed.

how much would I make if I wanted the stock muffler on?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #429
Wek Sos
Super Master Member

Wek Sos gets around and is known
Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known Wek Sos gets around and is known
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpikachu View Post
what turbo kit would you guys recommend me. im looking for a 280-320hp with stock internals. cars is it a dd but I do drive it at least 3-4times a week. my car is a 05 type s and its all stock besides suspension. other then that, I have kpro and rbc but not installed.

how much would I make if I wanted the stock muffler on?
for that low of power I'd stick with greddy. full race will yield more power than that, and ive never heard of a full race making that little power. Now with that said, I would get a full race because as soon as you feel 320 you will want more. If you want it stock to the point of leaving the stock exhaust on, just supercharge it.
2000 Honda S2000
2003 Acura RSX Type S

Last edited by Wek Sos; 04-30-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Wek Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #430
silverpikachu

silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx silverpikachu is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wek Sos View Post
for that low of power I'd stick with greddy. full race will yield more power than that, and ive never heard of a full race making that little power. Now with that said, I would get a full race because as soon as you feel 320 you will want more. If you want it stock to the point of leaving the stock exhaust on, just supercharge it.
I also asked myself that question lol. I dont want to dump 3grand on a greddy kit just in case in the long run I want more power and it will be a waste when that 3 grand with more doe I can get a full race turbo kit. to be honest this will be my first n/a to turbo car so that is why im doing my research and asking you pros the noob questions. and yes, I know about the stock exhaust problem. I dont mind upgrading. maybe to a apexi ws2 or noir lol

one more thing, I also have a base tranny laying around. I dont drag but will it be better to run the 5sp or upgrade the type s 6sp with lsd?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #431
JMENOCAL

JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JMENOCAL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Great thread, thanks!
JMENOCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #432
loswiththemost

loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx loswiththemost is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Turbo or Not To Turbo - After My Engine Died!

Hey guys... new to Club RSX, but not the planet or world of imports. I killed my engine on my 04 RSX-S. On the search for a new engine, but left wondering... since I have to replace the engine, why not install a turbo kit as well? I've want to do this for years, but no justification for it. I have found the TURBONETICS complete kit for $1700, also found a similar for $900. What's the $800 difference?
loswiththemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #433
JoshuaR
I do what I waaaaant

JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JoshuaR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by loswiththemost View Post
Hey guys... new to Club RSX, but not the planet or world of imports. I killed my engine on my 04 RSX-S. On the search for a new engine, but left wondering... since I have to replace the engine, why not install a turbo kit as well? I've want to do this for years, but no justification for it. I have found the TURBONETICS complete kit for $1700, also found a similar for $900. What's the $800 difference?

Do not expect to reliably turbo your car for under $3k

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
JoshuaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #434
SallySixSpeed

SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SallySixSpeed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
turbo v all motor

Hi, i couldnt locate exactly what i wanted to know so ill just drop in on this thread. I got an 03 type s stock. other than an injen cai. I am really leaning twards going all motor for reliability purposes but if i were to go boost whatre the pros, cons of goin turbo as apposed to all motor. And are there any reason i should use a vta bov vs. recirc bov? thanks guys.
SallySixSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 AM   #435
igzambia

igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Hi everyone,

I am based in Zambia. though id get a few opinions from you experienced Greddy Bolt On / Turbo bolt on users on ur RSX type S.

I have purchased the car in Japan with a full Mugen tuned track set up. I have bought a greddy bolt on kit with complete Trust exhaust and e-manage ultimate (I thought of Hondata, however jap tuners preferred ultimate). Car has a bunch of other mods (suspension, fuel pump, oil cooler, mugen intake, mounts, OS Giken clutch kit and LSD)

Basically I wanted to know how much boost / power with a reliable tune can the stock internals hold?

don't mind going forged internals, however im concerned over the drive shafts and gear ratios weakening. therefore any tips would help.

Thank you.
igzambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #436
igzambia

igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx igzambia is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Integra Type R - Greddy Bolt on Kit

Hi everyone,

I am based in Zambia. though id get a few opinions from you experienced Greddy Bolt On / Turbo bolt on users on ur RSX type S.

I have purchased the car in Japan with a full Mugen tuned track set up. I have bought a greddy bolt on kit with complete Trust exhaust and e-manage ultimate (I thought of Hondata, however jap tuners preferred ultimate). Car has a bunch of other mods (suspension, fuel pump, oil cooler, mugen intake, mounts, OS Giken clutch kit and LSD)

Basically I wanted to know how much boost / power with a reliable tune can the stock internals hold? Car is being tuned and worked on in Japan.

don't mind going forged internals, however im concerned over the drive shafts and gear ratios weakening. therefore any tips would help.

Thank you.
igzambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #437
Kevybro
#Inkpot

Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member
I hope this doesnt come out as nubby as the majority of questions here.

Im looking at going turbo (surprise)

Im wondering if anyone can point me to a specific size.

Goal: 350 at first. to maybe nearing full potential at 450-500. I know it takes a lot to "max" out a turbo and I plan on staying on pump gas and never actually reaching the "max potential". So basically if "max hp" is somewhere around 500 I would never attempt or expect to see 500.
Powerband: start feeling the boost working in around 3.5/4k full spool by maybe 6-7k

Basically I want something I can retain normal driving tendencies to a certain point and then let it flow right around my vtec engagement point.(4.2k on current tune)

All the research I've ever done was for a different platform entirely Im at square one when trying to research sizes to achieve this scenario.

This is something that was recommended to me.

http://www.spoolinperformance.com/st...roducts_id=573

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl85 View Post
I'm done breaking gears bro

Last edited by Kevybro; 08-11-2014 at 09:18 PM..
Kevybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #438
Fuccboi
y u mad tho?

Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member
FYI Kevin, that 50 trim turbo will spool relatively quick compared to other turbos used on RSXs these days (6262,GT35R,GT30r).

You said you want something that will make 300-350 on pump gas with the potential to expand more. Seeing as how you were looking at smaller turbos, that 50 trim should meet your goals, but I wouldnt expect much more out of it seeing as how its rated at 450 crank hp.

Understand that with a turbo that small youll probably sacrifice some top end power band with it.

Your other option is to go with the other turbos I recommended in the 57-58mm range. They might spool a bit later (*but much quicker than some of the larger turbo options out there), but they will give your legs some stretching room when the boost bug bites you. I would consider a 57-58mm a mid sized turbocharger for most hondas.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #439
Kevybro
#Inkpot

Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member Kevybro is a glorious c-rsx member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2kid View Post
FYI Kevin, that 50 trim turbo will spool relatively quick compared to other turbos used on RSXs these days (6262,GT35R,GT30r).

You said you want something that will make 300-350 on pump gas with the potential to expand more. Seeing as how you were looking at smaller turbos, that 50 trim should meet your goals, but I wouldnt expect much more out of it seeing as how its rated at 450 crank hp.

Understand that with a turbo that small youll probably sacrifice some top end power band with it.

Your other option is to go with the other turbos I recommended in the 57-58mm range. They might spool a bit later (*but much quicker than some of the larger turbo options out there), but they will give your legs some stretching room when the boost bug bites you. I would consider a 57-58mm a mid sized turbocharger for most hondas.
Lol the damn avi is spreading into other threads now

when do you think a typical t3/t4 housing with those sizes will begin to make power? Reach full spool? Is that sizing about what most companies offer as a do-all turbo?

Also, thanks for all the feedback here and in our forum Alex. Really appreciate it

Quote:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #440
jamesl85
#RandyRacing

jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though
This is mine kev.

5831 making full boost at 4.5k

Last edited by jamesl85; 08-11-2014 at 09:58 PM..
jamesl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #441
Kevybro
#Inkpot

what do the numbers 5831 denote?

so it starts spooling at about 2k, when do you start really feeling the increase? And wow it tops out 4.5k and your making that much?

That makes me think if I were to try and get something that will noticeably start spooling at 3.5/4k and went to 5.5/6k Itd be way more power than Id want.

Quote:

Last edited by Kevybro; 08-11-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #442
Fuccboi
y u mad tho?

Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member Fuccboi is a glorious c-rsx member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevink121 View Post
Lol the damn avi is spreading into other threads now

when do you think a typical t3/t4 housing with those sizes will begin to make power? Reach full spool? Is that sizing about what most companies offer as a do-all turbo?

Also, thanks for all the feedback here and in our forum Alex. Really appreciate it
There is no do all turbo for all vehicles. Whats big on our cars would be small on cars with larger engines. There are V8s that run twin GT35Rs and single 80mm turbochargers that spool like a gt35r would on a honda because of how much volume of air they can move to spin a turbine that large.

Quote:

so it starts spooling at about 2k, when do you start really feeling the increase? And wow it tops out 4.5k and your making that much?

That makes me think if I were to try and get something that will noticeably start spooling at 3.5/4k and went to 5.5/6k Itd be way more power than Id want.
The 58 denotes a 58mm compressor turbine and I couldnt tell you what the 31 is.

James makes full boost at 4.5K and if you look at his power curve it holds out relatively well. When you pair a turbocharger with engines you can get several different types of graphs.

Expect his RSX to make less power with a smaller turbo at the same boost level, but with a power band shifted to the left more, and falling off up top *generally speaking. And the opposite for a larger turbo at the same boost.

These are general characteristics you see when selecting a turbocharger. A turbo that reaches full boost at 6k is imo a bit too large for what youre after.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #443
jamesl85
#RandyRacing

jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
Quote:

As far as I understand yes 58mm compressor wheel.

For Precision the 31 denotes an entry level turbo.

I believe the way Precision has it set up is; the higher the second number, the more power the turbo will make of the compressor wheel size.
jamesl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #444
Kevybro
#Inkpot

Quote:
There is no do all turbo for all vehicles. Whats big on our cars would be small on cars with larger engines. There are V8s that run twin GT35Rs and single 80mm turbochargers that spool like a gt35r would on a honda because of how much volume of air they can move to spin a turbine that large.

James makes full boost at 4.5K and if you look at his power curve it holds out relatively well. When you pair a turbocharger with engines you can get several different types of graphs.

Expect his RSX to make less power with a smaller turbo at the same boost level, but with a power band shifted to the left more, and falling off up top *generally speaking. And the opposite for a larger turbo at the same boost.

These are general characteristics you see when selecting a turbocharger. A turbo that reaches full boost at 6k is imo a bit too large for what youre after.
So would it be somewhat reasonable logic that if someone were to buy a bigger turbo, in respective comparison, and ran less boost they would see/feel boost later and it would top out further up the range? And lower boost would be able to gain the desired power while not over doing it?

*Im not talking specifically about my goals at this point, just general logic I guess.

Quote:
As far as I understand yes 58mm compressor wheel.

For Precision the 31 denotes an entry level turbo.

I believe the way Precision has it set up is; the higher the second number, the more power the turbo will make of the compressor wheel size.
Hmm interesting. I suppose there is going to be differences in how different manufacturers name and describe their products.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #445
Fuccboi
y u mad tho?

yes, if you bought a larger turbo and ran less boost you would still see a later spool and a powerband shift to the right vs. someone with the same setup and smaller turbo.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #446
Kevybro
#Inkpot

After some initial reading I think I'm leaning to the gt3076r

Lots more to read before buying anything

The bit if info I read didn't mention fuel or injector size but it seems that lower 300s are possible with 4-6 pounds of boost and obviously tons of room for going for more.

I think I'd try to hook up the fuel return before all I consider it finished and ready to tune.

Thanks again Alex, when you were mentioning gt30s before I thought that'd it'd be too big. Seems to be perfect.

Quote:

Last edited by Kevybro; 08-12-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Old 11-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #447
CountSkankula

CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CountSkankula is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
can a fullrace borgwarner efr turbokit be tuned down to 350whp? I know i will want more in the future so im keeping that in mind with kit choice but i dont need 400+ right out the gate. looking to run close to stock with appropriate supporting mods and upgrade the internals and other bits as time goes on but keep the same turbo setup. any advice is appreciated

Last edited by CountSkankula; 11-14-2014 at 05:43 PM..
CountSkankula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #448
Kendogg619

Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Kendogg619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
turbo kit

So there was asite i found a while back and now i cant find it. The site offered turbo kits as well as internals as a whole package. it had multiple different packages. does this ring abell to anyone. does any one know of a site like this that has complete packages available at decent prices????
Kendogg619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #449
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendogg619 View Post
So there was asite i found a while back and now i cant find it. The site offered turbo kits as well as internals as a whole package. it had multiple different packages. does this ring abell to anyone. does any one know of a site like this that has complete packages available at decent prices????
Doesn't ring any bells here. Full-Race is just about the only production kit I would recommend to anybody and it is far from cheap.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #450
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountSkankula View Post
can a fullrace borgwarner efr turbokit be tuned down to 350whp? I know i will want more in the future so im keeping that in mind with kit choice but i dont need 400+ right out the gate. looking to run close to stock with appropriate supporting mods and upgrade the internals and other bits as time goes on but keep the same turbo setup. any advice is appreciated
What is your final goal? 350-400 can easily be attained without using an expensive full-race/borg warner EFR setup. You can use a log manifold and a precision turbo to get those power levels and more.