Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

2005 RSX taillights rewiring guide

80K views 527 replies 181 participants last post by  Dc5_bullet 
#1 · (Edited)
DIY with images reposted here: http://blog.machanon.net/2009/10/22/diy-05-06-acura-rsx-taillight-rewiring-guide/

Video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INToJplEKw

I finally had the time to sit down and do this highly requested mod :) (disregarding the months of procrastination, lol). With all the parts and tool in place, it took me 23 minutes to complete, not too shabby. Basically what this mod do is rewire your '05 RSX taillights so both inner lens and outter lens light up at night, instead of just the outter lens only. You will retain your blinker signal as well. Basically, you're swapping out the socket & plug from your taillight signal lens with a 3-pin socket/plug, and tapping the power wire from the neighboring outter lens.

2005 RSX taillights rewiring guide

The parts you need are:

• 2 3-pin plugs, part #: 04321-S2A-308 (you need to buy only one; it comes in a bag of 5 plugs)
  • 2 dual filament wedge bulb, T20 W21/5W; part #: 34906-S30-003
  • 2 3-pin sockets, part #: 33515-S2A-003
  • 2 T-Taps, 22awg
  • 2 male quick disconnects, 22awg
  • 2 butt-connectors, 22awg
  • 1 roll of wire, 22awg
  • 1 hacksaw
  • 1 salvaged wire plug from any Honda/Acura with at least two pigtails (wires with terminal)
  • 1 wire stripper/cutter

I think that's all you need :) Here are the pics of the parts:

Wedge bulb, 3-pin socket & 3-pin connectors

Male quick disconnects, roll of 22awg wire, T-Taps, butt connectors, hacksaw, wire cutter/stripper

Salvaged wire harness (shown with 4 pigtails)

Difficulty Level: [05/10] (Intermediate)

Time required: 25 minutes

You should be able to find most of the electrical parts at your local RadioShack or AutoZone. I found most of mine in my tool shack :D. A good place to order bulk of electrical component is Mouser, Inc.. Simply a badass company, no doubt. For the sockets, wedge bulbs and plugs, you can order it from Delray Acura. Just punch in the provided part numbers and add to bag. So far, I've found that Delray offered the most economical price for these parts.

And finally, you need two pigtails to complete the mod. I just salvaged mine from a 4-pin plug with wires from a Civic power window wire harness at a local junkyard. You can order these pigtails from Acura too, but I don't think it's worth the $9.00+ per pigtail they are charging :eek:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.