Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Flanz: Full-Race GT35R, stock-sleeve K20Z1, 93 octane = 570whp @ 23psi

12K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  Fuccboi 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Today, I had the pleasure of tuning Dave (Flanz)'s car again today. As I'm sure most of you know, Dave had some troubles with the last setup that was on his car, and was looking to find something that controlled boost pressure more consistently and predictably (a.k.a. properly), so that he could enjoy his project much more.

Dave turned to a Full-Race manifold with a 60mm TiAL wastegate; the ultimate form of boost control and flow, something needed to control the super-flowing K20 engine with a turbocharger like the GT3582R.

Here are the results.

570whp / 424wtq @ 23psi

First, let's take a look at the final dyno graph from today. This was at 23psi of boost pressure on 93 octane pump gasoline.

Here is the high boost vs. low boost graphs together (low boost was 17psi off a 15psi eBay spring).

Boost plots, showing low and high pressures. As you can see, the car spools right up to the wastegate pressure and stays within 2psi of the opening pressure.

The boost controller used was Hondata's boost solenoid, and tuning was done with fixed duty cycle control. There was ZERO solenoid duty vs. RPM trickery needed. This setup could be run off a manual boost controller, and have the same exact boost curve.

Here is a comparison of Flanz's last tune with the other setup vs. the final graph from today.

Boost plots for both runs. Light blue line was today (using fixed duty at 35%), dotted yellow line was the ramping roller-coaster duty vs. RPM boost plot from the last tune.

Finally,here is a comparison plot of wastegate pressure from both setups. As you can see, the old plot opened at around 8psi, and made its way much higher by 7,700 RPM or so. This yellow line is strictly off the wastegate today on the new manifold/wastegate combo.

The car required very little changes from last time. The most major being a fuel adjustment past 7,800 RPM, as the climbing boost pressures during the last tune made it damn-near impossible to make rhyme-nor-reason as to what the car wanted as the boost pressure was ever-increasing. The timing table stayed nearly the same, with the exception of an addition of a total of ONE DEGREE of ignition timing globally over the high cam.

Attached is a datalog of the final dyno run, documenting the fixed 35% duty cycle.

Dave is very pleased with the car's new found power, and seems to like having the ability to run at a lower boost pressure than 23-24psi on the street. I think what he is most excited about was the ability to rev past 7,800 RPM without having to worry about hitting a 24psi boost cut before then.

The car absolutely rips. I foresee a twin-disc clutch and upgrading transmission in Dave's future, along with some race gas, and a maxed out GT35R. ;)

Cheers!

- Derek

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.