Ryan's Small Time Turbo Drag Build - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Turbo RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Ryan's Small Time Turbo Drag Build

Well, I guess it's time for a build thread after years of lurking, i have a few pics of whats coming... Much more in the works

First a little intro. I bought the car back in 08. I was not into cars or going fast but I liked the RSX and got a decent deal on an 03...and the kicker... Base Auto. I didnt know how to drive manual all that well at the time so i wasn't looking for one, and i didn't know anything about the Type-s or the differences really. It was bone stock, but was in an accident but it "looked" like repairs were done ok

The "before you start reading, where im at with the car right now" pic

Engine:

K20a3 Block/Girdle
K20z3 Crankshaft
Stock sleeve bored to 86.5mm
Wiseco 9.8:1 Flat Top Pistons
Brian Crower H-beam Rods
OEM Main/Rods/Thrust Bearings
OEM Timing Chain Tensioner
Type-s Oil pump
HPT Lower Chain Guide
DownStar Engine Bolt Kit

Head:

K20A2 Head
Supertech Dual valve springs
Supertech Intake valves
Supertech Inconel Exhaust valves
Supertech Retainers
Supertech Exhaust Bronze Guides
ARP Head Bolts
OEM K20A2 Cams
OEM Z3 Upper Chain Guide
OEM 86mm Head Gasket
RBC - Ported by Spaz
74mm HR TB - Vanjen Modified by All In

Fuel:
Fuel Lab 525 FPR
Ktuned -10 Fuel Filter
Grams 1000cc Injectors
Ktuned Fuel Rail

Turbo:
AFI Sidewinder
All In Fab Rad
All In Fab IC
All In Fab Charge Pipes
Precision 6266 JB
Tial Wastegate
Tial BOV

Suspension:

FF2s Coilovers
Progress 27mm Rear Sway Bar
Function7 Control Arms
Beaks Tie Bar

Interior/Electronics:

AEM Infinity 8h
Racepak iq3
Type-r Center Console
MAC 3-Port Boost Solenoid
Hondata 4bar
Ktuned Hall Effect TPS
Honeywell Temp Sensors
Honeywell Pressure Transducers
HR Shifter
Milspec Wiring Throughout

Trans
Rebuilt EP3 Trans (by me )
K20z1 LSD
Competition Clutch Stage 5
Competition Clutch 11lb Flywheel
Ktuned Race-Spec Shift Cables

Exterior:

05-06 Front End Conversion
A-Spec Side Skirts

Deleted Items:

A/C Condenser and All Plumbing
Hydraulic PS to EPS
Evap Lines
Heater Core and Lines
ABS Unit
Entire SRS System
Rear Wiper
Spare and Tools
Sound Deadening
Miscellaneous Body Brackets
Radio and all speakers and wiring

To come:

Insane Shafts
Fuel Pumps and Fuel Cell
AN Fittings and Lines
Brakes
Wiring

First main mod I did was the black outs

interior was a simple type-r console and radio with back seats removed

Might get flamed for doing a shift boot on an auto but i dont care because the type-r console looks 100 times better anyways lol

then rear suspension and coils

Then did a front end conversion, which it sat like this for a loooooonngggg time

Then eps, battery, abs, and ac/heater delete and other things. Still daily driver at this time, but with texas weather didnt really need heater, and i drive with windows down most of the time anyways

Then, with a job promotion I decided I would go all the way and do a full turbo build, paint and mini-shave the bay, and 5spd manual swap with a few bells and whistles

First things first Motor must come out....

prepping it

and with the major help from @monjarassi we were able to pull the old motor out for a complete build

However, as soon as pulled off the head, turns out the block had rot on the sleeves so we tossed it for trash and began the search for a full motor. Pics of rot

Before picking up the motor stuff, figured i'd do some spring cleaning in the car. Removed the heater core and gutted even more.

So after that i was able to get was a k20a2 head, picked it up from a local for a decent price. Wasnt too worried about the condition since i was getting it built anyways. The guy literally gave me the full head with IM throttle body and random accessories

Strip it down and got a full supertech valvetrain and sent it off to the machine shop for decking and rebuild

Then found an A3 block for dirt cheap, and started ordering the parts to build that. I didn't want to use oil squirters or the factory oil cooler anyways so there was no reason for me to look for an a2 or z1/z3 block and pay extra.

picked up some wiseco 86.5 9.8:1 piston and BC h beams

shipped these off to the builder for the work on the block and got the block back 2 weeks later

Then got a type-s oil pump kit from AFH and installed that in

Last edited by ryaano18; 01-24-2017 at 01:22 PM..
ryaano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ryaano18 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Then assembled the head with arp bolts, painted the block and Monjarassi came and helped me again with the TCT and valve lash. Never done that before so quite the learning experience

All In Turbo Kit (photos by Monjarassi)

Turbo Mocked up

Car was dropped off for some bay work, no shaving (couldn't spend the money at the time) and was just painted

Rebuilding my Mainshaft since when i picked up the trans, the 3-4 slider hubbed was jammed bad

Picked up a Infinity 8h and Racepak Iq3 for ultimate data acquisition and bigger plans for the future. It's overkill for now, but its 2 things i dont have to buy later. Plus the CAN system and Digital inputs the EMS has will be very helpful that Hondata just can't provide

I will be building my own harness for everything in the car, new engine, chassis, CAN devices, I/O components etc...

Here's the tail light harness I completed (WHERE ARE MY WIRING NERDS AT??? lol)

Started with design

then hand laying the wire

Then Raycheming and Labeling

then final termination

Car is at the body shop AGAIN, ran into some issue with paint so having them fix it, then I can drop the motor in the car

Much much much more to come. Lots of stuff I still don't have pics of.

By the way, sorry for the mismatch of good and bad quality photos. Normally i don't take pics with my camera and just use my phone for something quick. The next set of build pics will be with the camera

Last edited by ryaano18; 11-20-2014 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
WooTIHaveATypeS
PPG Krew

WooTIHaveATypeS Golden Rep Whore WooTIHaveATypeS Golden Rep Whore
WooTIHaveATypeS Golden Rep Whore WooTIHaveATypeS Golden Rep Whore WooTIHaveATypeS Golden Rep Whore
Nice work so far

IG: shakeshaft_evox
WooTIHaveATypeS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooTIHaveATypeS View Post
Nice work so far
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
MITeggy17
El Chapo

MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit MITeggy17 probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
In for more progress.

ThePremSociety | Stella | Team Tuna | Infamous O.G. | G.O.A.T
MITeggy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
monjarassi
RealTalk

monjarassi has a clean start monjarassi has a clean start monjarassi has a clean start
Sweet, welcome aboard brahhh

PTE 6266 turbo EP3 built motor

speedlab.net for all your tuning needs!!

**1st Ep3 with K2nd billet shifter box**
monjarassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
jamesl85
#RandyRacing

jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though jamesl85 is cool, not as cool as some though
In on this! Pretty sure I've seen some of your wiring work before, looks great!

Have you hit the dyno with this beast yet?
jamesl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
monjarassi
RealTalk

monjarassi has a clean start monjarassi has a clean start monjarassi has a clean start
Cars not done yet brahhh still has a long way too come

Old 11-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl85 View Post
In on this! Pretty sure I've seen some of your wiring work before, looks great!

Have you hit the dyno with this beast yet?
Thanks! I post my wiring stuff on instagram so you've probably seen it there. and not yet, still a couple of more things to do before she's ready to fire. Super close though!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

And the funnest part about any build... collecting parts and letting them sit

and then the weight reduction/ diet

Last edited by ryaano18; 11-20-2014 at 10:33 PM..
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
_Holeshot_
Triple Fucking OG

_Holeshot_ is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I heard it put down mid 500's on low boost....
Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Holeshot_ View Post
I heard it put down mid 500's on low boost....
nahhhhh, old wives tales

i am hoping this one guy from speedlab can help me reach mid 500
Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
_Holeshot_
Triple Fucking OG

_Holeshot_ is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Im sure that one guy will make it happen
Old 11-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
jusabase

jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx jusabase might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Good luck with that super single. I've seen cc stage 5's hold more.
Number 000798
IG: @jusabase for my 800-1000hp build
jusabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #15
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusabase View Post
Good luck with that super single. I've seen cc stage 5's hold more.
yea, ive heard the same. CC has a reputation for that. I do really want a Spec Clutch, just kinda broke at the moment hehe
Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #16
monjarassi
RealTalk

be easy on her itll hold up fine!!!

And better be ready for the beginning of 2k15, word on the st is that speedlab will be in town!

just a heads up

Old 11-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #17
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
be easy on her itll hold up fine!!!

And better be ready for the beginning of 2k15, word on the st is that speedlab will be in town!

just a heads up
Yea I drive like a old gypsy lady on the street anyways, no worries there

and shitttt that means i only have 4 months to start her up and get to a dyno. I wanna do the roll race event, you down?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
monjarassi
RealTalk

Yea why not but I doubt we will make it.

List is almost full

Old 11-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #19
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
Yea why not but I doubt we will make it.

List is almost full
Oh well, we would get destroyed first round anyways. looks fun though
Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #20
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Finally made a build thread eh? I want you to come make me an engine harness for my C5
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #21
06_typeS
JoE

06_typeS is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Great work so far. Congrats on the build. Looks like it will be funnnnn.

Enkei | Yokohama | Buddyclub | K&N | Stoptech | PowerSlot | Hawk | Comptech | Source1 | Seibon | Momo | NRG
06_typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
ryaano18
Wiring is <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
Finally made a build thread eh? I want you to come make me an engine harness for my C5
I'm so down for that! I think its like 48 wires alone for the coils and injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_typeS View Post
Great work so far. Congrats on the build. Looks like it will be funnnnn.
Hopefully it will be! thanks man!
Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #23
Htownxjoey
05 Rsx-T, 07 TL-S, 07 R6

Htownxjoey is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
ryan my insane shafts for sale, pretty much new, only drove 100 miles on them

658 HP 450 Tq Dyno Jet Evo X Daily Driver
Htownxjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
overlap king
Lick it or Flick it

overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with
Good looking build! Cant wait to see it when its completed

ThePremSocietyHotWhiteGFKrewHotTeaKrewTheGoodBlokeKrew
overlap king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #25
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaano18 View Post
I'm so down for that! I think its like 48 wires alone for the coils and injectors

Hopefully it will be! thanks man!
Ill buy the plane ticket....