Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

All show and no go... my daily | Bonus: old school(ish) Accord wagon build

21K views 108 replies 25 participants last post by  CyborgGT 
#1 · (Edited)
The daily, probably keeping it for the long term. Skipping engine mods (for now) to keep it reliable, and just making it look good and handle well. I've got a real project car to sate my power needs.

Day One:

• Purchased 9.10.2012 @ 96k miles
  • Automatic
  • Desert Silver Metallic
  • "Titanium" leather interior

Today:

• Mugen Sports Suspension coilovers
  • Mugen front strut bar & rear "mid" bar
  • Eibach sway bars, 26mm front + 23mm rear
  • Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings (rears still need installing)
  • EBC BSD slotted discs
  • Hawk HPS 5.0 pads
  • StopTech stainless brake lines
  • Skunk2 rear LCAs
  • 16" 02-04 RSX wheels w/snow tires
  • 17" 05-06 RSX-S wheels w/performance all-seasons

• Mugen air box (installed then removed; need to mod to make it fit)
  • Magnaflow oval muffler

• A-spec style front lip (needs paint)
  • Mugen-style hood (horrible Carbon Creations replica, to be replaced)
  • Aerocatch carbon-look locking hood pins
  • Depo black-housed headlights
    • Mini H1 bi-xenon projector retrofit
    • Morimoto XB35 5000k HID bulbs
    • Morimoto 3Five 35 watt ballasts
    • TRS HD Relay harness
  • 20% tint all around w/windshield banner
  • 'Acura' & 'RSX' trunk badges removed
  • 'Integra' badge (not sure I even want to install it anymore)
  • A-spec/Type-R style wing (carbon fiber, paint-matched)
  • Taillight turn signal "red-outs"

• Kenwood deck from my old Accord (bought in 2009, and still kicking!)
  • Kicker 5.25" speakers
  • Black carpet swap w/factory floor mats
  • '05-'06 gray front seats
  • '05-'06 black rear seats w/gray center console

Future Plans:

_ It's getting old and worn; needs a proper restoration. Lots of mods planned, but I won't be going too wild with it. I'll always want an economical daily to get around in, so mainly I just want it to look good and handle the curvy mountain roads well.

My DIYs:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
... and because, well, "pics or ain't care."

Lookout Mountain in Golden, CO:

I never care to do anything for my birthday, so for my 25th I took a drive up Pikes Peak for the first time since it was fully paved. It's so nice being able to enjoy the whole road now; the dirt sections were a bit potholed.

Doing work:

I tried EBC Green Stuff at first, but my discs ate right through them, and they faded like stock. HPSs are much better, and dust a hell of a lot less.

A trick I tried on an old Accord sedan was a simple Magnaflow muffler swap and resonator delete, and it sounded fantastic. I'm trying the same thing here. I haven't taken out the resonator yet, that'll happen soon, but so far I'm digging it.

An example of my horrible paint. I have to buff it every couple of months just so it's not so noticeable.

The sway bars were installed six months apart, rear then front, so I could feel the difference. God damn I love these things.

Installing the retrofits. These are still giving me headaches. I'm in the process of moving, from one place without a garage to one with, so it'll have to wait a few weeks before I can finally perfect the aim.

See the wiper nozzle fitment? I've since fixed that. The ones my used hood came with were enormous, lazily mounted, and had a terrible spray pattern. OEMs are back in place, in the right spots.

Had to replace the headlight housings here because one was broken where the projector bolted up, so the project basically started all over:

Aim still needs slight adjustment, and one light needs re-opening to tighten the projector just a smidge. Yes, my car's an automatic. And no, I absolutely love it!

Up-to-date shots:

#3 · (Edited)
I've met some cool people because of my project car, as you do, and one of them happened to also own a 370Z. I was invited to go for a drive to Mt Evans with the VQ Club of Colorado. The V6 sound track was insane!

- - -

Got these babies staring at me every day, I need to get some rubber!

- - -

I'm building an H22 for one of these Accord wagons. Something practical enough that I should never have to get rid of, but should also be able to hold its own on a road course once it's built. One parked next to me when I grabbed breakfast one day, I couldn't resist taking a pic:

#4 ·
Plans:
All I'm concerned about is making it look, sound, and handle well. Like I said, I just don't care for power here, or being a show car with the priciest parts.

* More worn stock pieces need replacing
* Spacers & tires for those 05-S wheels
* Re-spray (can't decide between Championship White and staying DSM, but it badly needs doing)
* A-spec front lip
* Mugen-style sides
* A-spec rear lip
* J's-style diffuser
* Integra iS door sills; may or may not do "Honda" badge swap including steering wheel & engine covers
* The lip spoiler that fits under the high wing - that A-spec?
* Type-R brake ducts (I do a lot of spirited driving in the mountains)
* Progress coil-overs and SPC camber kit
* Hondata re-flash, Injen CAI, K-tuned catted race header, Nvidia cat back (not for sure on that last one). I've also got a Type-S intake manifold that may go on, if it doesn't get fitted to my H22 build.
* Seibon Mugen-style hood (Carbon Creations sucks; I'd paint this if the car goes white, leave it cleared if DSM)
* Seibon hatch (only if I stay DSM; I like the contrasting look)
The lip spoiler is the mini decklid from the 05-06 A Spec kit.
You will not notice any difference with the brake duct kits during spirited driving because they do not attach to the rotors.
The seibon hatch is a lot of money for a part that is non functional. It does not weigh much less than the factory hatch so it is useless unless you just want it for looks.

#5 ·
* More worn stock pieces need replacing
* Spacers & tires for those 05-S wheels
* Re-spray (can't decide between Championship White and staying DSM, but it badly needs doing)
* A-spec front lip
* Mugen-style sides
* A-spec rear lip
* J's-style diffuser
* Integra iS door sills; may or may not do "Honda" badge swap including steering wheel & engine covers
* The lip spoiler that fits under the high wing - that A-spec?
* Type-R brake ducts (I do a lot of spirited driving in the mountains)
* Progress coil-overs and SPC camber kit
* Hondata re-flash, Injen CAI, K-tuned catted race header, Nvidia cat back (not for sure on that last one). I've also got a Type-S intake manifold that may go on, if it doesn't get fitted to my H22 build.
* Seibon Mugen-style hood (Carbon Creations sucks; I'd paint this if the car goes white, leave it cleared if DSM)
* Seibon hatch (only if I stay DSM; I like the contrasting look)[/QUOTE]

You wont regret doing an invidia catback, at least for the q300. Looks even better with a js diffuser on the back with that A-Spec rear lip. 02-04 rear end ftw

#6 ·
Thanks for that info, Porpoise. Sucks the hatch isn't much lighter, I was looking forward to the function just as much as the form. The weight difference in hoods was huge, so I just assumed. Guess I'll skip that - and the brake ducts (do they not actually direct air onto the discs?!) - unless I still have the mod itch after everything else is done, lol.

The Q300 is what I was thinking. It's hard to tell with internet videos, but I think it has the sound I want. And, yes, the quad taillights of the 0204 are sick at night. I'm torn between the two front ends though. The flat bottoms of the 05 headlights look so clean (not to mention the later A-spec front lip, your car's gorgeous!), but prefer again the dual light dishes over the triple. My headlights look cool reflected in the back of the next car at a light :D.

#7 ·
Thanks for that info, Porpoise. Sucks the hatch isn't much lighter, I was looking forward to the function just as much as the form. The weight difference in hoods was huge, so I just assumed. Guess I'll skip that - and the brake ducts (do they not actually direct air onto the discs?!) - unless I still have the mod itch after everything else is done, lol.

The Q300 is what I was thinking. It's hard to tell with internet videos, but I think it has the sound I want. And, yes, the quad taillights of the 0204 are sick at night. I'm torn between the two front ends though. The flat bottoms of the 05 headlights look so clean (not to mention the later A-spec front lip, your car's gorgeous!), but prefer again the dual light dishes over the triple. My headlights look cool reflected in the back of the next car at a light :D.
They direct air back into the wheel well but thats about it. If you ran some flexible tubing and connected it to the hub it would be more effective.

#9 ·
The ITR brake ducts do just enough to be annoying. I've been finding that my pads aren't keeping their heat as I don't use the brakes that much when I do some late night driving. Didn't think I would ever have a problem with HP+ not being at optimal temps, but I've been seriously considering blocking off those brake ducts with some speed tape.

#13 · (Edited)
1992 Accord // The Project Wagon

I feel like sharing why I don't have a Type-S. Why, after years of ownership, my engine is still bone-stock: I'm going all-out building another Honda, and am trying desperately not to get distracted with another car. Engine, chassis, interior... you name it, I'm making it my own in this fourth-gen Accord.

This is my previous car, a '92 LX sedan into which I had swapped a '97 JDM H22A, and did some other basic modifications.

Much like when the original F22A1 took a dump and I used it as an excuse to swap, I ran into an intermittent electrical problem with the H that I couldn't figure out and took that as an excuse to ditch the shell and build the motor. It was probably due to my half-assed attempt at tucking the wiring in the engine bay, because that engine was very low mileage (HMO) and ran like a dream for a year before this odd short came out of nowhere. But anyway, as I got into the CB chassis, I got more and more interested in the wagon version. That way I can have all the performance potential of a Honda, plus enough practicality to never have to get rid of my project. Once the engine is complete, I'll begin searching for that perfect chassis. It's a rare combo, but wagons in EX trim (sunroof, ABS, four-wheel disc brakes) with a factory manual transmission are available. I'm also debating importing a right-hand drive car just for the novelty, and to stand out that much more.

Turbo charging has never interested me, so I'm going all-motor, trying for somewhere in the ballpark of 245whp - from what I gather, that's a bit more than what stock Evos and STis put down thanks to drivetrain loss, and my car will be at least 300lbs lighter than both. I'll be happy if this N/A wagon can simply keep up with those cars stock.

The build sheet:

Electronics:
- Hondata or Neptune... I'll see what my tuner prefers and pick this up closer to dyno day
- AEM gauges: UEGO, EGT, oil press., fuel press.

Intake:
- K&N Apollo intake system for 70mm pipe
- AEM 70mm OD aluminum tubing for custom intake
- DEI gold heat tape 2"x30'
- Professional Products 68mm Power throttle body for ITR, polished
- H22 Euro-R/Type-R intake manifold prepped by Rosko Racing (68mm port match)
- Bisimoto thermal intake manifold gasket

Fuel:
- Walbro 255lph pump w/install kit
- Rosko Racing rail
- Acura RDX 410cc OE injectors & pigtails
- AEM pressure regulator

Head:
- Ishino/Stone (OEM) top-end gasket set
- ARP head studs
- Supertech machine hardened valve locks
- Supertech titanium spring retainers
- Supertech 79lb valve springs
- Supertech valve seals
- Supertech valve guides (Manganese Bronze intake, copper alloy exhaust)
- Supertech black nitrided dish valves
- New OEM valve spring seats
- Skunk2 Pro 2 cams
- Skunk2 Pro Black Series cam gears
- OEM manual timing tensioner conversion kit
- Skunk2 cam seal
- Skunk2 "Skunk2 Inside" VTEC solenoid cover

Block:
- Closed-deck JDM H22A
- Fel-Pro complete bottom-end gasket set
- Wiseco 11.5:1 pistons (re-sleeve, of course; one of my stock bores is scratched)
- Eagle H-beam rods
- ARP main studs
- ESP urethane mounts w/low-profile rear bracket
- ATI street damper

Exhaust:
- Spoon Sports stainless header primaries on OEM downpipe with 2.5" collector mod
- PLM HyTech knock-off 4-2-1 header (yup, I've got two to compare on the dyno; I expect the Spoon will perform like a DC)
- Vibrant 1197 EGT bung, stainless
- Vibrant 10355 merge collector, stainless 2.5"
- Vibrant 60804 "turbo" flex pipe, stainless 2.5"
- Vibrant 1194A O2 sensor bung x2, stainless
- Vibrant U-J scrap bends, stainless 2.5"
- Summit Racing 4' scrap straight, stainless 2.5"
- Catco 6906 cat, stainless 2.5"
- Vibrant 2.5" bottle resonator & 2.5" Ultra Quiet resonator - will experiment with both for sound
- Summit Racing 2.5" V-band connections x3
- Vibrant 2630 2.5-3" transition ("reducer")
- Kteller 3" stainless/mandrel piping
- Vibrant Street Power muffler, 3" in/dual 3.5" out

- - -

DIY cluster in the glove box for that sleeper look:

Had a custom emblem made (thanks, spray2020!). Accord Aerodeck + Accord Euro-R = Accord Aero-R

Intake:

Head:

Block:

Exhaust:

#16 ·
For a daily driver, it did seem like the best option. The stance should be almost perfect for my taste, and Mugen quality is of course top-notch. Plus, there are endless reviews on here saying how the handling is improved, while somehow the comfort is arguably better than stock. I just need to make the time to install, I'm really looking forward to this.

#18 · (Edited)
New pic with the Mugen SS installed and broken in. Loving these things. I just need spacers to get that fender gap right.

Same one I threw up in Show Off, but whatever. Anyway, I've been doing some thinking about this car and I feel like sharing. I've decided that owning this car isn't going to be as temporary as I originally intended, and I'm keeping it around for a long-term commuter car. That said, I finally came up with a theme to work towards. Classy, subtle, exotically beautiful... work to the car's aesthetic high points. Maybe the random compliments I get on the street and people taking pictures of my car (twice the other day! wow.) has gone to my head, but I want this to project a 'high-end' image.

First, the color. This was so hard to decide on before this theme came to me, and it's what first grabs a person when they look at a car. And as someone who has enjoyed going to car shows for most of my life, it does need to pull people in... especially me. Championship White, black (a true black, not Nighthawk with that annoying blue tinge it has), one of many wild colors people on here have pulled off so well - oranges, blues. Even staying DSM, this color kills at night when under street and parking lot lamps. Do I keep it clean or go for the track inspired look I adore with splitters and everything else. So many thoughts in different directions, and not all of them necessarily complimenting the others.

More recently I feel I've had it fairly certainly narrowed down to two colors, black or red. And then this Alfa popped up on Speedhunters and totally stole me:

So I looked around a bit more. Yeah. I want this. Metallic red, with the subtlest hint of black. It looks absolutely beautiful, and at the same time aggressive.

Stunning. Attention-stealing? I think so. The DC5 is pretty good at flaunting loud colors. And seeing these Alfas nudged me towards the rest of the theme: I want the look to hint that the car's got something going on underneath. That, as much as I hate cliché, the beauty is not just skin deep. I have, after all, been trying to make this car handle above all else. And I'm fairly certain I want a K24A2+bolt-ons swap down the line. It won't quite be "all shirt and no trousers," as Jeremy Clarkson once said. I'm still not interested in a real power build, I want this thing close to stock to keep it as reliable as possible.

So, the accompanying parts. I don't mean for this to be a Mugen catalog car, I tend to think that kind of scheme is lazy, but I happen to really like what they've drawn up for the DC5.

- I still want the Mugen hood, but my horrible replica will be replaced with a legit panel. I want the fitment. Painted body color, I think that will be in better taste.

- Below that... no, I think both the Mugen bumper and lip are ugly. Back Yard Special's aggressive front skin with that carbon lip is where the exotic touches really come in to play. Leave the carbon clear coated. The stock bumper with A-spec lip will be kept around to change out every now and then.

- Continuing backwards: Spoon wing mirrors. Nice shape, and carbon here doesn't come off as gaudy.

- Eyes down: I still want '05-spec Mugen side skirts. Beautiful lines there.

- Wheels... gotta admit I'm feeling the MF10. Not for sure though, wheels are hard to nail down.

- Mugen "style" will appear out back. VIS's lip with the carbon center will compliment the front lip and mirrors perfectly.

- Keeping the R wing.

- Full black interior swap. I'd like to find a seat from one of the main aftermarket brands that's more comfortable for long drives.

This is a very long-term project, I'm no "baller," but nothing's wrong with dreaming. I'm just excited I finally figured this car out and now have something solid to work towards.

#19 · (Edited)
that red colour on the rsx would be amazing looking, i support this lol

yea red on some gold wheels looks great, do it

edited: oh i forgot to add, i do have spacers if you them. i only have two, but still good. i forgot the measurement, but i can find out once i get home

#21 · (Edited)
They are exactly what I wanted out of a coilover for this car, thanks again for helping me finally get a set!

oh i forgot to add, i do have spacers if you them. i only have two, but still good. i forgot the measurement, but i can find out once i get home
If they're 25mm and hub-centric, I'm definitely interested.

#23 ·
I rock a MM with the grey and black/carbon thing going on and I love it. Clean and simple will always look good but unique is where its at. Mine isn't pristine or anything but I have some unique part combos and some rare items and some everyone stuff. I too spent a lot of time with forza and GT looking at different colors and still love my MM. This leads me to want more than 1 rsx... anyways the red is killer and MF10 are $$$ I like your black and grey, cauqazn is doing this grey black in a big way. That will allow you to buy more. I mean paint and mf10 should be $2500-$6000? Im down to blow money so by all means have at it. But I also like to see my money buy me as much happiness as possible. try not to get sucked into the perfect rides if its a daily driver for commuting.

#24 · (Edited)
The paint is so bad in person that I'm sick of seeing a dozen little issues every time I walk out to the car. It's a bit of a disappointment for me, so I want it redone. Probably 80% of the car needs respraying anyway, so why not try a new color. While I do love DSM (cauqazn's old 02 setup with the diffuser and bare carbon hatch was a big inspiration for me early on), at the end of the day it's still a gray car. There are too many gray cars on the road these days, and I simply don't want to blend in with it all. The cost is worth it to me, but I do agree with your "don't go for perfect on a daily driver" mentality. I'll try to save where possible on replica parts when overpriced "legit" stuff really isn't necessary. This car sees driving in ice, sitting in the sun, bugs tearing up the front bumper... no thanks.

This whole transformation will be slow going, I'm not looking to let something as unimportant as a car drive me into credit card debt. I've realized the theme I want to go after with this car, and funding it really begins in September. The car will finally be paid off in August, so I'm turning the part of my monthly budget that would normally have gone into the car payment into the 'mod budget.' That should keep me well out of trouble. I might even get the equipment to paint the car myself, and save more money that way. It's a skill I really want to learn, and may even turn it into part of a career if I enjoy it as much as I think I will.

#28 ·
yes

:thumbsup: My car would be sweet if life didn't hit me so hard this year. next spring is my time. paid off > debt= you already know how to get things done.

#26 · (Edited)
The way Gran Turismo has worked since they got into the PS3 generation (GT5 & 6) is to make a bunch of what they call "premium" cars, using PS3 graphics, then include a bunch of lesser models they label "standard." Cars take forever to model in full graphics, so they couldn't include all of the roughly 1000 cars that were in GT4. So they threw in everything else by simply porting them over from the PS2. Personally, I'm grateful for it, it's better than having a lot of my favorite cars suddenly axed from the series. They're carrying this strategy over to the PS4 when GT7 finally comes out.

The 0506 ITR was new to the series for 5, so they gave it the full polygon count, inside and out.

#29 ·
yeah I wish forza would put in the 0506 or at least the type r kit and aspec kit.. I am surprised no one made the gt5 dc5 body kits.

#27 ·
- Knock Sensor & Starter Replacement - Base Model
- CV Axle Shaft Replacement

So here's where it's at now:

Mods:
- Kenwood iPod-compatible deck
- Kicker 5.25" speakers
- Kenwood 12" sub + Rockford 200w amp
- Replaced a couple worn/missing interior pieces
- Black carpet swap w/factory floor mats

- 20% tint all around w/windshield banner
- 'Acura' & 'RSX' trunk badges removed
- A-spec style urethane front lip (needs paint)
- Mugen style urethane rear lip (needs paint)
- Integra badge (not yet installed; waiting to get Integra door sills and a re-spray)
- Type-R/A-spec-style carbon fiber wing, painted DSM
- Carbon Creations Mugen-style hood
- AeroCatch carbon-look locking hood pins
- Depo blackhoused headlights with TRS/Morimoto Mini H1 35w/5000k HID retrofit
- Taillight turn signal "red outs"
- 02-04 wheels w/Pirelli P6
- 05-06 Type-S wheels w/Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

- 2.25" Magnaflow muffler (resonator delete coming soon)

- Eibach f+r sway bars
- Moog f+r end links
- Energy black poly master set (needs installing)
- EBC Black Dash slotted discs
- Hawk HPS pads front & rear

Where is this? Looks like Colorado?

#30 ·
I only have an original Xbox, but I put in Forza 1 recently - which I haven't played since before I owned an RSX and got familiar with the Mugen parts... god, I was so jealous that game has the full Mugen kit. I don't like the way the game handles though, so I haven't played any of the newer games. I'm tempted to get an XB1 with how good Horizon 3 is looking though. But then 360s are dirt cheap now, I may as well see if the series has improved at all.

#31 ·
on the cheap..

get an xbox 360, Microsoft racing wheel, and forza 4, or $kip right to xb1. Forza 6 is beautiful, rain, lighting, handling, Night racing. Missing japan tracks though... Go to forzamotorsports.net and look at the photo galleries. Look up my photos by searching in the galleries for AIRITE. Decent wheels for the new consoles are too $$ but I still go to back to that setup just to enjoy what it offered. also that's the last game you could get a Honda integra type r with wing or Mugen DC5 and not just adding the body to the rsx like in the newer one.

#33 ·
H22 progress update: the exhaust system is complete!

Forgot to add the 2.5"-to-3" expansion in the photos, but from the block out:

> Spoon Sports header primaries
> EGT sensor bung will be welded to cyl. #3, just off the head flange
> OEM downpipe (for now; looking for an aftermarket dp that will bolt to stock primaries)
> Vibrant 2.5" merge collector
> Vibrant 2.5" flex pipe
> Vibrant bungs for factory O2 sensor and wideband A/F gauge sensor; placement to be determined on-car
> Summit 2.5" V-band clamp #1
> Catco 2.5" cat
> Summit 2.5" V-band clamp #2

> The middle section is where some experimentation will be going on, looking for that perfect sound. At the moment, I have two 2.5" Vibrant resonators to try: their standard bottle res, and their Ultra Quiet. If neither is to my taste, I'll start by finding a longer bottle resonator, and go from there.

> Summit Racing 2.5" V-band clamp #3
> Vibrant 2.5" to 3" pipe diameter expansion
> Kteller 3" mandrel-bent tubing
> Vibrant Street Power dual-tip muffler (I really hope I can make the exhaust sound nice with this on, it is such a beautiful piece!)

Everything is stainless, and everything will be polished, all in keeping with my desire for longevity on this build.

The new focus is the head. I've been sitting on some things, I'm waiting for a few more minor pieces in the mail as I type this, and the rest should be in-hand by the end of December; January at the latest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.