where to find polymer based polish or wax?? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > STYLE > Car Care
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-01-2002, 01:43 PM   #1
02 EBP RSX
Stiff Member

where to find polymer based polish or wax??

Is the polymer used in both or just in the polish?? over the counter stuff doesnt seem to carry it. ive got apparent swirling from a wrong drying towel (not100%cotton) on a dark blue RSX- man she is hard to keep perfect wearing a dark dress My yellow crx was never this hard to manage The local cleaning/detailing shop (the washtub) also used the wrong or dirty towels and put swirls all over my hood that they promptly removed with an orbital buffer & (i believe) a polymer based polish that wont cut the clear coat (true?) amazingly the small scratches from the towel disappeared hopefully i can achieve the same by hand with a similar product. I dont think its necessary to go out and buy an orbital buffer just because i have a new dark colored car or ist it??
Hmmmm ..........
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2002, 04:58 PM   #2
Homer2
Master Member

swirls are generally in the clearcoat. since to scratch the paint you have to pass through the clearcoat - it would no longer be caled a swirl. well, I guess it would be a heavy swirl.

anyways - the used abrasive liquid to smooth out the visible swirls by putting in super microscopic swirls and it blends. you dont see or feel the finished swirls because they are so incredibly microscopic . . .

its not thought of in that fashion normally, but in cold hard facts - thats what they do.

now, as to whether polymers can be found in waxes or polishes - you have to be a bit more clear as to what you are talking about.

some consider "polish" as a cleaner - which has to have abrasives in some degree, or petrochemicals - to remove dirt scum, old wax etc....

I consider polish as a different name for high end waxes (no carnauba please) like Zaino etc.

so, while i am not positive of your question - i kinda hope i have given a decent answer. if not, we can try again

* * No Longer a Zaino Distributor * *
I leave this here because I still get emails related to the years of doing this - and just so you know - I am not likely to answer them (within a month)
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:59 PM   #3
02 EBP RSX
Stiff Member

thanks for the response homer, i'm basically just looking for some polish to remove or hide the swirls safely without compromising the clear coat. is it true that polymer based polishes are less abrasive but can still remove light swirls?? (only visible in bright sun) or will just wax get the job done? In the mean time i'll find better towels and/or a shammy for drying so as not to worsen things- thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:43 AM   #4
Homer2
Master Member

OK - I see.
In that case - anything that actually affects or reduces swirls will be altering your clearcoat. Thats all there is to that. Everything else will hide them. That can be done with colour fillers - and some people swear by things like ScratchX or GS27? - but the science says that unless you are painting and/or baking - they wont last. How you treat your finish will effect the performance of those products. They will wear off or out.

Optical hiding properties - like the ones found in the zaino Z5 swirl polish reflects the light so that the paint colour "fills" the swirl (as long as it isnt too deep) with reflections of your colour. The more layers - up to 5 or so - the more fill illusion - but it is just that - an illusion. Due to the long term performance of Zaino - it stays on quite a while, and as long as you are not causing more swirls with towels etc - it looks much better.

I'll cut a paste a speech on swirls that gives more info - and please re-address any more questions after that . . . Ill be glad to offer any advice I can.
- - - - - - - -

98% of all cars have swirl marks and fine scratches including brand new cars.

Why? Because of dealer prepping and using an abrasive polish combined with the
wrong towels and incorrect washing of towels. Abrasives and Polyester in towels are
the most common causes of swirl marks and fine scratches, especially on brand new
paint finishes. The dealer is the first person to start the swirl process on a paint
finish.

Here's a way to check if your paint has swirls or scratches. Look at your paint finish
under fluorescent lighting. This will let you see every mark on the paint surface.
Then you be the judge.

Store bought Swirl removers are just a temporary illusion and a Band-Aid
approach to the problem.....

I am totally against using abrasives on paint finishes. Abrasives, no matter how fine,
create new scratches, they should be avoided and only used when absolutely
necessary. And then only by a trained professional. The clear-coat on today's paint
finishes is very thin and abrasive products will thin it even further and hurt it, in
the long run creating many more swirl marks and fine scratches.

All swirl removers contain abrasives and are loaded with silicone oils and other oils.

Zaino Show Car Polish contains no Abrasives or Silicone oils. Although abrasives
remove scratches they create new scratches and swirls and they thin out the
clear-coat. Silicone oil camouflages swirls and scratches, temporarily, as soon as the
oil washes away or evaporates the swirls are visible again. Kinda a Catch-22. Z-5
fills swirls and scratches and does not create any new scratches. Because Z-5
durability is so high and will not wash away. The scratches will stay filled. That's
the hot ticket to a flawless paint finish.

The Z-5 is applied, as per directions, and will fill swirls and scratches in stages. One
to three coats of Z-5 depending on the amount and degree of scratches. Z-2 should
always be the last coat of polish on the car. Z-2 has higher optics than Z-5. You can
go from Z-2 to Z-5 and back to Z-2 anytime you like. Always use Z-6 "Gloss
Enhancer spray between each and ever coat of Z-5 or Z-2.

With deeper swirls and fine scratches sometimes the use of an mild abrasive product
like 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009 is necessary.. I try
to avoid the use of abrasives and would try my best with Z5, to see if it will correct
the problem. However if you don't see a visible difference after 1 or 2 coats of Z-5.
Waiting 6 to 24 hours between coats of Z-5... Then you need to use the 3M Foam
Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009... see following tips...

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By hand:
Simply apply a small amount (about the size of a quarter) to a cotton diaper or piece
of cotton towel and rub back and forth into about a 1'X 1' section using light to
medium pressure until it starts to dry out. Then take a second towel and lightly rub
back and forth until the polish residue disappears and the gloss comes up. If there
are still some swirls visible you can repeat this step until they are minimal. I prefer
using a less aggressive product a couple times instead of using a more aggressive
product once. After you have done the entire car you can Dawn wash and reapply
your favorite wax/polish or Zaino Z-1 and Z-5/Z-2.

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By orbital:

Use a 100% cotton bonnet or a foam bonnet and apply the polish in a thin lined
growing circle starting from the center and spacing the growing line about an inch
from the last round all the way to the edge. Place the bonnet flat on a panel and
activate the polisher and begin working the entire panel using light to medium
pressure. When you have worked the panel thoroughly then take a clean towel and
wipe the residue off in a back and forth motion using light pressure. Then simply
move to the next section. When the entire car is done do a Dawn wash and Zaino.
DO NOT ever use cotton T-shirts on your car. They contain polyester and will cause
swirl marks and scratch your paint finish. Use my #314 applicator pad for applying
my polish. Read the Tips & Tricks sheet. http://www.zainobros.com

Towels must be 100% Made in USA. Name Brand(Cannon or Fieldcrest Towels).
These towels are always 100% Cotton. Most other Brand name towels I've analyzed
are not 100% Cotton but a blend of cotton and polyester. The cotton material is
from overseas and is not federally regulated. Even though they say 100% Cotton
they are not.

You must use only white. Not colored towels.....Colored towels are not to be used
because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your
towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice. Do not use Powdered
detergent, Bleach or any type of Fabric softener. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice
to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages(borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage
contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish.
The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular
heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the
towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be
replaced.

I don't like sponges natural or synthetic, they all can scratch...

Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in
about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....

* * No Longer a Zaino Distributor * *
I leave this here because I still get emails related to the years of doing this - and just so you know - I am not likely to answer them (within a month)
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 12:03 AM   #5
02 EBP RSX
Stiff Member

thanks alot.....a big help in better understanding and awareness.
what about the polymer based paint sealers out there.....?? i've read that they bond better and last longer then wax and are recommended for newer cars. Do these polymer sealers help remove light swirls?? Are they abrasive??
thanks again for your help
Old 01-05-2002, 01:19 AM   #6
AnDylishus
The Dylishus One

i just waxed my car a couple of weeks ago and that seemed to work in hiding the swirl marks... made it seem like i was looking into a mirror... its still pretty good right now and is still shiny.... my car is garaged though...
AnDylishus is offline   Reply With Quote