Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Guide: Step By Step Instructions On How To Use Lambda Overlay to Tune AF On YOUR Car!

65K views 267 replies 67 participants last post by  RedRabbitRacer 
#1 · (Edited)
How to use Lambda Overlay Feature.

1. First thing you want to do is get a datalog of your car doing a WOT run in either 3rd or 4th gear.

2. Open up KManager and go to File>Open and pull up the Calibration that you were using when the datalog was taken.

3. Click on Datalog>Load and select the new datalog.

4. Go to Options>Settings>Lambda Overlay and select "Air Fuel Ratio". Under "Medium Load" change the value to the desired AF Ratio. The KManager comes with 13.5 but you can change this to 13.2 for best performance on NA cars.(See Following ScreenShot)

If you have FI, please input the desired AF value into the "High Load" field.

Best AF Values to Use:

Low Load = Part throttle and idle ~14.7ish
Medium Load = WOT N/A 13 - 13.5ish
High Load = WOT FI ~12 - 12.5ish

5. Once both the datalog and the calibration is open make sure you are viewing the Fuel Tables and not Igition. To do this press F5 to view the "Low Speed Fuel" Table and F6 to view the "High Speed Fuel" Table.

6. Click on View>Fuel Adjustment or SHIFT+F5. Also make sure "EDIT ALL TABLES" is checked. (The tables should look like the following)

7. Now take a look at Columns 8-10. It will bring up values either in positive numbers of negative numbers (Eample: 9 or -9).

8. These numbers indicate how much fuel needs to either added or take away on a particular CELL. These numbers are percentage (%) values.

9. Select the CELL you want the edit and press CONTROL+J.

Although you can adjust by each CELL I suggest the following.

*NOTE* If you want your fuel curves to stay linear to the other curves and not cross into each other then make changes to columns 8-10 instead of single cells.

Lets say column 8 @ 6000rpm says to take away -6 percent and column 9 @ 6000rpm says to take away -2 percent of fuel. What you want to do is highlight columns 8-10 and take away -4 percent which is half of both suggested values. ie. 6+2=8/2=4

10. This will bring up another window that reads "Adjust Selected Values". (See following)

11. There are three parts on this window and you want to use the first part that reads "Percentage Adjustment.

12. Input the percentage value into the "Percentage Adjustment" field. (Example)

Noob warning!!
If you open the "Adjust Selected Values" dialog, and then decide to not put a value in and hit OK instead of CANCEL, it loads a 0 in the value for all 6 cam angles, This will be a pain in the ass to recover from.

13. Do this for every CELL between columns 8-10. Dont forget to press F6 and switch to the High Speed Fuel Tables and make the changes.

14. If you want to view the actual Fuel Table numbers go to View>Normal. You can now see the actual fuel numbers for each cell.

This is how the window looks when you are looking at Actual Fuel Values:

This is how the window looks when you are in Fuel Adjustment mode:

15. Save the calibration and upload to your car. Do another datalog and do the same procedure. If you are doing everything correctly you should have your car with a perfect AF tune with 3-4 runs.

16. Please make sure that you are using correction values in the temperature compensation section of your calibration. To see the values go to Window>Paramenters>Compensation. Hondata recommends the following:

If you tune your car with the recommend correction values you should "almost" always have a perfect AF no matter the temperature. Remember all cars are different.

Conrad Temperature Calculator:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=204865&page=1&pp=25&highlight=Temperature

Conrad has created a great Temperature Calculator. If you do not want to use the Hondata values you can calculate your own correction factors. I included this because all cars work different and not everyones car is going to work well with the Hondata assigned correction values. Please read up on that thread to get more info on how to use the calculator.

ENJOY!

See less See more
#77 ·
Thanks for the help... I got a datalog done and yikes... I better get to work.

#78 ·
Noob warning!!
OK I'm a k-pro noob and while using this GREAT write up I found an interesting thing, I opened the "Adjust Selected Values" dialog, decided to not put a value in and hit OK instead of CANCEL, ouch!!, it loads a 0 in the value for all 6 cam angles, that was a pain in the ass to recover from.

#79 ·
Oside Jimc said:
Noob warning!!
OK I'm a k-pro noob and while using this GREAT write up I found an interesting thing, I opened the "Adjust Selected Values" dialog, decided to not put a value in and hit OK instead of CANCEL, ouch!!, it loads a 0 in the value for all 6 cam angles, that was a pain in the ass to recover from.

Yup, I did that by accident tuning part throttle in open loop once. It put a couple 0s right at 2200 rpm and the car would sputter every time it hit that.

#80 ·
Oside Jimc said:
Noob warning!!
Great info I added it to the first part and wrote that its by you.

#82 ·
02SilverSiHB said:
whoa...just saw this thread. I thought those values given by kpro to change were the number that needs to be changed..not the precentage. 12 would be a big precentage versus taking 12 out of the a/f wouldn't it?

Well, since most fuel values at WOT are over 1000, adding/subtracting 12 would be nothing, however, 12% would be larger.

#83 ·
SiK LiL pLaYa said:
7. Now take a look at Columns 8-10. It will bring up values either in positive numbers of negative numbers (Eample: 9 or -9).

8. These numbers indicate how much fuel needs to either added or take away on a particular CELL. These numbers are percentage (%) values.

9. Select the CELL you want the edit and press CONTROL+J.

10. This will bring up another window that reads "Adjust Selected Values". (See following)

11. There are three parts on this window and you want to use the first part that reads "Percentage Adjustment.

12. Input the percentage value into the "Percentage Adjustment" field. (Example)

Noob warning!!
If you open the "Adjust Selected Values" dialog, and then decide to not put a value in and hit OK instead of CANCEL, it loads a 0 in the value for all 6 cam angles, This will be a pain in the ass to recover from.
Info by Oside Jimc

13. Do this for every CELL between columns 8-10. Dont forget to press F6 and switch to the High Speed Fuel Tables and make the changes.
hey for this part when you click on like in the above example the [9] rectangle and you bring up CONTROL+J menu, you put in 9 because you want that rectangle to contain a 0 right? Like if it was -9 you would still put 9 in the CONTROL+J menu?

As for the High Speed Fuel Tables when you hit F6 the same rectangle selected in the Low Speed Fuel Tables is selected in the High Speed Fuel Tables, if they're different numbers you would just still take that number to 0 correct? For example in the Low Speed Fuel Tables you put 9 in the percentage value and what if in that same rectangle but on the High Speed Fuel Tables was a 6 would you put the percent (+ or -) as 6?

thank you and sorry if it's confusing. Please let me know if you need me to clarify my question.

#84 ·
chaos said:
hey for this part when you click on like in the above example the [9] rectangle and you bring up CONTROL+J menu, you put in 9 because you want that rectangle to contain a 0 right? Like if it was -9 you would still put 9 in the CONTROL+J menu?

As for the High Speed Fuel Tables when you hit F6 the same rectangle selected in the Low Speed Fuel Tables is selected in the High Speed Fuel Tables, if they're different numbers you would just still take that number to 0 correct? For example in the Low Speed Fuel Tables you put 9 in the percentage value and what if in that same rectangle but on the High Speed Fuel Tables was a 6 would you put the percent (+ or -) as 6?

thank you and sorry if it's confusing. Please let me know if you need me to clarify my question.
If it say's "-9", then you put in "negative 9". Low cam and High cam are two different cams with two different profiles so the percentages it spits out at you will be different. So if it say's "6", then you put in "six".

KTHXBYE

#86 ·
in your example, you put 9 in adjust the a/f ratio, does it appear "0" immediately when you click "ok" ?? In my case, it was shown -7, then i type in -7 in the percentage box, after i click "ok", the -7 is still there. did i do something wrong or it is normal ?? thanks

#88 ·
Like tt_boy13 said, that is normal. After you make the change the value does not "zero" out although that would be a good feature to add to KPRO. Atleast this way if one forgets that they already made the change then the value would read zero and no guessing needed.

#93 ·
Yes, Zero-Out would be a great refinement of the overlay feature. Thanks for suggesting that to Hondata.

Off Topic: SiK LiL pLaYa, your avatar is from the cover of an SF book, yes? I noticed it last night at a book store. You an SF geek as well as a car freak?

#94 ·
9/11 RSX-s said:
Yes, Zero-Out would be a great refinement of the overlay feature. Thanks for suggesting that to Hondata.

Off Topic: SiK LiL pLaYa, your avatar is from the cover of an SF book, yes? I noticed it last night at a book store. You an SF geek as well as a car freak?
9/11, I searched on google for avatars and that one came up so I decided to use it. I like the way it looks. I have no idea who SF is so I would have to say nope i'm not a SF geek. I'm just a car freak who can never make up his mind but i'm definately looking to go towards the FI route.

#96 ·
luder917 said:

these are the values im using right now, because thats how it comes. what values should i use for my greddy kit???
As far as I know those are the values you should be using. If you have your WOT AF to be at 12.5 leave it the way it is. If you want it to be 12.0 then change that and tune off that.

#99 · (Edited)
SiK LiL pLaYa said:
Just get the KPRO now that tuning is so easy :). Hope all this helps.
I wish. Just like you said earlier in the thread, I have other expenses before I can spend money on my car. I luckily already bought the engagement ring, which was a major purchase. And before I do anymore power, I am going to do sway bars and motor mounts. Then it will be k-pro time. Luckily, my fiance already has two laptops, so I dont have to worry about that. :thumbsup:

#100 ·
boarderdf said:
I wish. Just like you said earlier in the thread, I have other expenses before I can spend money on my car. I luckily already bought the engagement ring, which was a major purchase. And before I do anymore power, I am going to do sway bars and motor mounts. Then it will be k-pro time. Luckily, my fiance already has two laptops, so I dont have to worry about that. :thumbsup:
I totally understand where you are coming from. I have not bought my the engagement ring just yet but I do have the money already aside for me. Good luck with your mods and life bro :thumbsup: .

#101 ·
SiK LiL pLaYa said:
I totally understand where you are coming from. I have not bought my the engagement ring just yet but I do have the money already aside for me. Good luck with your mods and life bro :thumbsup: .
Thanks, good luck to you also. I cant wait to start playing with K-pro on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.