The AMG vs M series thread *Discussion* - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
RoadStar

The AMG vs M series thread *Discussion*

Both really nice German car manufactures, their street cars: the AMG and the M series has always raised the comparsion on which is better...opinions?

Group 1
BMW M3—$49K
C55 AMG—$55K
SLK55 AMG—$62K

Driven the SLK and the M3, SLK is DEFINATELY faster on the straights, but M3 handles crazily, both are very good street cars i would say.

Group 2
BMW M5—$81K
E55 AMG—$83K
CLK55 AMG—$83K
CLS55 AMG—$87K

never driven any of these...

however i notice that BMW doesnt realy have extreme exotic cars~~unlike the MB, who produced the crazy SL series as well as the SLR...well....beside the mclaren f1 which bmw took some part of...
RoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
RacingHart05
Senõr Member

I'm an M-series guy, I never really liked mercedes. The M3 is just a great overall car, if you can shell out the money. I think Mercedes are overrrated and overpriced.

Where is the Audi S-series on the list? the S4 is definetly in that price range.

Nikon crew: D40x, 18-200mm Sigma.
RacingHart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
BKdaMoRoN
ms. moron

I'd definitely rather have an M-series car. I've never been a big Mercedes fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galant4G63T

4G63 engine is the most forgiving engine ever made
BKdaMoRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
SilverRSXJezus
Master Member

All European cars are quite overpriced, but if we're talking about specifically European cars....

I think MB is a bit more overpriced than Audi and BMW.

Speaking strictly on who has the better cars, I guess MB would be the one. I mean, it's kind of like the Brembo vs Stoptech thing....Brembo is better period, but if you factor in cost, Stoptech is usually the way to go if you gotta care about financial stuff.
I would prefer M cars if cost was a concern, but if it wasn't, I guess AMG is the way to go
SilverRSXJezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
s15Power2000
I <3 ClubRsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadStar
however i notice that BMW doesnt realy have extreme exotic cars~~unlike the MB, who produced the crazy SL series as well as the SLR...well....beside the mclaren f1 which bmw took some part of...
I Remember BMW has a quote "Turbocharge or Supercharge is just a cheap way to gain HP"

in all the AMG Series, is all supercharge or Turbocharge, but in the Mclaren F1 the V12 is pure N/A

So I say M Series
s15Power2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
RacingHart05
Senõr Member

But then again.... I happen to like cheap ways to gain HP..... But I'm still for the M-series.

Nikon crew: D40x, 18-200mm Sigma.
RacingHart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
SilverRSXJezus
Master Member

I'm a bit more impressed with AMG recently since they've developed a V8 N/A engine from scratch, I think. What was it, 6.3 L? Or something..I don't remember, but it was pretty nice
Old 10-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
RoadStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15Power2000
I Remember BMW has a quote "Turbocharge or Supercharge is just a cheap way to gain HP"

in all the AMG Series, is all supercharge or Turbocharge, but in the Mclaren F1 the V12 is pure N/A

So I say M Series
lol, i do agree that turbocharge/supercharge is indeed a "cheap" way to gain power....

I still do not think there is a single car out there that can match the Mclaren F1, the only one factory made car to match it is the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo (and im talking about straight line accleration) 0-60...

back to topic, I do love MB for their super "automatic" cars, and their wicked straight line performance, the thing is, ppl say BMW handles better, but does the AMG handles bad?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
BryanP
Fornix Tickler

I actually like the M-Series. I like how it handled when my friend up north gave me rides in his. AMGs are awesome though, but I have to admit that you're right with the handling. I've only ridden in one (C55). I still decide to choose MBZ. I must admit though that I am a bit partial towards them due to the fact I was an enthusiast for MBZ 190Es before joining the RSX bandwagon.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #10
Clish
Bwhahahahaha

Quote:
lol, i do agree that turbocharge/supercharge is indeed a "cheap" way to gain power....

I still do not think there is a single car out there that can match the Mclaren F1, the only one factory made car to match it is the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo (and im talking about straight line accleration) 0-60...

back to topic, I do love MB for their super "automatic" cars, and their wicked straight line performance, the thing is, ppl say BMW handles better, but does the AMG handles bad?
whats that new Bugetti's super car? i think its like a W16 engine?... wait.. thats like quad turbo or somethig.. but that new car is crazy fast

DIY a-spec knob install

Flickr
Clish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #11
Drk
CRSX South FG Avy Crew

I like the M3 a lot. One of my main things is what is the fun in driving an auto? I love shifting through the gears. However, the e55 is an absolute beast which I would drive without a problem. Those things are highway kings, but all MB's seem to be that way...

However, I like the e46 the best.
Drk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
SilverRSXJezus
Master Member

Quote:

the bugatti has the Mclaren beat, I think.

Well, I don't think it's a matter of AMG cars handling bad....it's just that it probably gives a feeling of detachment for the driver? BMW cars aren't really that great in terms of pure performance numbers but mostly known for their driver feedback and fun factor, which makes it the "ultimate driving machine". Sure, a car must be able to have somewhat impressive performance numbers, but if you get a numb feeling while driving it's just not that great compared to a lesser performance car but an exhilarating ride
Old 10-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #13
RoadStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
the bugatti has the Mclaren beat, I think.

Well, I don't think it's a matter of AMG cars handling bad....it's just that it probably gives a feeling of detachment for the driver? BMW cars aren't really that great in terms of pure performance numbers but mostly known for their driver feedback and fun factor, which makes it the "ultimate driving machine". Sure, a car must be able to have somewhat impressive performance numbers, but if you get a numb feeling while driving it's just not that great compared to a lesser performance car but an exhilarating ride
top speed wise, definately the bugatti owned the mclaren, but the acceleration up to 100km/h are about the same?
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bugatti_veyron.asp
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mclaren_f1lm.asp

but for me, i dont care how good bugatti's supercar is, the McLaren will always be my favorite.....their performance are somewhat similar, but McLaren was made with the technology 10 years ago....
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #14
SilverRSXJezus
Master Member

Quote:
top speed wise, definately the bugatti owned the mclaren, but the acceleration up to 100km/h are about the same?
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bugatti_veyron.asp
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mclaren_f1lm.asp

but for me, i dont care how good bugatti's supercar is, the McLaren will always be my favorite.....their performance are somewhat similar, but McLaren was made with the technology 10 years ago....

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103261

0-62 in 2.5 seconds
0-125 in 7.3 seconds
0-186 in 16.8 seconds
0-250 in 55 seconds

for bugatti
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #15
RoadStar

but i really hope that Lambos will make a supercar and re claim their fame when the diablo first came out~~
Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 AM   #16
DC503
brian R.

Quote:
I'm a bit more impressed with AMG recently since they've developed a V8 N/A engine from scratch, I think. What was it, 6.3 L? Or something..I don't remember, but it was pretty nice
Yeah, they have a new 6.3L V8 developed by AMG in-house, whereas the old motors were a derivative of "run of the mill" Benz motors. I cant remember the specifics, but its got a lump of hp, matching torque, and an expansive rev band (lot's of revs for a big motor)...all good things in my book.

Without any real contribution to AMG v. BMW M really, i'll just say it's a good time period to be a german sports sedan fan and i'll leave it at that. For no real reason, id probably prefer an AMG. I guess since these cars are typically heavy saloon/sedans, give me the one w/ the most torque and power, ill get my pure sportscar experience elsewhere.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #17
Ktec
ya'll got hot wing?

get a ride in a E55 chipped and pullied then you wont be debating amg or M series. Hell a stock e55 will do it for most people. a car that has seats that litteraly Hug you as you turn is a big thumbs UP

GMThe heartburn of America
Ktec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:50 AM   #18
rsx_vue
12sx

Alghough I've never riden in an AMG or M-series car, I would have to say that I like the M-series more. It's just that I can never ID an AMG car unless it were the more high end cars like CL55, with the bimmers, dam when they roll out I'm always like and I do have a lil liking towards both the m5, and m3, m6 is nice too
rsx_vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #19
RoadStar

omg, i just went to some webpages, and damn, i bet that the E55 AMG or the CLS is a monster on the highway, although a BMW M5 is also another godzilla on the road. For 100k, which AMG or M series would you guys consider?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #20
SilverRSXJezus
Master Member

Quote:
omg, i just went to some webpages, and damn, i bet that the E55 AMG or the CLS is a monster on the highway, although a BMW M5 is also another godzilla on the road. For 100k, which AMG or M series would you guys consider?

Is an M5 that much? Or M6?

Well, obviously if money weren't a factor then I'd go for AMG, since they have a lot more higher end models and stuff.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:23 AM   #21
Turbo To the Max

Quote:
Is an M5 that much? Or M6?

Well, obviously if money weren't a factor then I'd go for AMG, since they have a lot more higher end models and stuff.
the m5 is cheaper than 100k, but the m6 is about there
Turbo To the Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #22
AsianStyle

BMW M5
V10
500hp @ 7750rpm
383ft-lb @ 6100rpm
4012lbs
$81,200

E55 AMG
SC V8
469hp @ 6100rpm
516ft-lb @ 2650rpm
4087lbs
$81,800

Well the prices are pretty much the same but if you look at their engines obviously the two are quite different. The M5 needs to be reved for power but the E55 has power on tap due to its SC. Looking at the specs the M5 has a 31hp advantage but the E55 has a 193ft-lb advantage. Regardless I remember seeing a video where an M5 out ran a E55. I also remember watchin a best motoring episode where they used several AMG cars and all the drivers said it has exceptional power, but it could not handle well and felt very heavy. I would personally take any of the M cars over the AMGs due to the sporty nature of the M cars. The SLK might handle well but it is a different class of car. When compared to a Boxster the SLK also handles bad. As a final thought the AMGs and M series really target different needs. A stop light racer would be the AMG, while a true track racer would be the M series. Just my 2cents.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #23
b9ev
you will bow to me

I like how subtle the AMG cars are.
b9ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #24
VTEC-RSXS
Bimmer1

Quote:

STFU NOOB, Nobody gives a fuck about 0-60, try the top speed and quarter mile of this car.

Then put the 1/2 million dollars you just saved back in your pocket, then go spank a McClaren.

http://www.allfastcars.com/koenigsegg-ccr.shtml
Old 10-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #25
SE-sR20
I get bored.

I like the Iron Fist in a Velvet glove persona of an AMG, and besides, what does BMW have to offer against Merc's 65-series?

BMW is known for their all around road racing heritage, but so has Mercedes. They're both exceptional brands, there's no 1st place between the two, but the SLR, the 65-series cars, and the Maybach are all stand out in mercedes spectrum.

Another thing, AMG is so compatable with their applications, they have an AMG model of every Mercedes out there!

and for ~100k, I'd pick the CLS55