Reverse Lockout.. - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > ECU Tuning
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-19-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
MameXP
iBOOST- Do u?

Reverse Lockout..

I've read that if you use the base ECU on a TypeS you will loose the reverse lockout function.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is reverse lockout? is it to prevent you to go into reverse when you move?
MameXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
RichthePoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MameXP
I've read that if you use the base ECU on a TypeS you will loose the reverse lockout function.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is reverse lockout? is it to prevent you to go into reverse when you move?
Thats exactly what its there for and does... not sure what the swap, but thats exactly what a lockout does. Just tested it last night

Rich
RichthePoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
boredfast
spicy

not too sure about the swap either, but there is a solenoid there that prevents you from engaging the reverse gear at any measurable moving speed.

About the swap though, i think that would be applicable.. there is no use for this feature on a base model tranny
Motorcycle Crew #17
2007 Pearl White CBR600RR
boredfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Swinger
Playground Legend

there is no reverse lockout on the base ecu. Only on the type s ecu. But seriously, how bad of a driver do you have to be to throw your car in reverse when you are moving forward. It would pretty much have to be intentional for you to damage your car.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
rylan4444
rylan

well not reallly somone could be trying to get into 5 or 6 gear and not really know what there doign and put it in reverse. i could see it happening there are some dumb people out there
rylan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Razathorn
glory to the hypnotoad

Without reverse lockout, going into 5th or 6th is annoying at best. When the lockout is disabled, when you go from 4th to 5th, you will find yourself getting stuck in the reverse horizontal gate as you push 'up and to the right' to get to 5th. When going from 5th to 6th, you keep right pressure applied and pull down on the shifter -- without reverse lockout, you will go into the reverse horizontal gate. You have to have the exact right pressure down or you will go into 4th instead of 6th, or get into the reverse gate.

Basically, without reverse lockout, using 6th and 5th is a frigg'n pain. Try shifting from 4th, to 5th, to 6th while sitting in your driveway in a type-s some time. Gets annoying doesn't it?
Razathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
rylan4444
rylan

i hate going from 4th to 5th its a bitch but i got it down pretty good now
rylan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
RSXiMUS
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinger
there is no reverse lockout on the base ecu. Only on the type s ecu. But seriously, how bad of a driver do you have to be to throw your car in reverse when you are moving forward. It would pretty much have to be intentional for you to damage your car.
Well not really going into reverse when trying to shift into 6th, but i find the reverse lockout a god sent when speedshifting from 4-5. Without the lockout you will end up in the reverse gate to the far right.

If you don't believe me, go try shifting really fast from 4-5 in a Type S when its at a stop, you'll see what I mean. 9 out of 10 times you'll probably land the far right gate and won't go into 5th.
RSXiMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Gary Waller
Now rollin' 6MT GDurtay5

^He's right.

SE-R Spec V's don't have the lockout. People fuck up 4th to 5th all the time.

Sunglasses F/S:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=605794
iPod Shuffle F/S:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=606746
Gary Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
krystar
Master Member

and watch out if you ever skip gear and go from 2nd to 6th or 4th to 6th.
This is the most work I've done at work EVER
krystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
MentalMidget
BIG POPPAź

I had a base ecu in my car for a couple weeks. Without the lockout it, the problem is more that you'll hit 4th instead of 6th when you are upshifting from 5th. Going into reverse isn't the problem, though its what you think about constantly.

Honestly, I go used to the shifting in less than a day. However I wasn't racing or shift extremely fast. But who shifts 5th and 6th really fast anyway.

I'd much rather have the lock out there.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #12
Razathorn
glory to the hypnotoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalMidget
I had a base ecu in my car for a couple weeks. Without the lockout it, the problem is more that you'll hit 4th instead of 6th when you are upshifting from 5th. Going into reverse isn't the problem, though its what you think about constantly.

Honestly, I go used to the shifting in less than a day. However I wasn't racing or shift extremely fast. But who shifts 5th and 6th really fast anyway.

I'd much rather have the lock out there.
Yeah, hitting reverse isn't the problem. Going from 4 -> 5 or 5-> 6 or 6->5 or 4->5 fast is horrible. I don't know about you but I've shifted from 4th to 5th at the redline .
Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #13
MentalMidget
BIG POPPAź

Yeah, what people don't realize is that without that lockout you have about as much space as there is from 1st to 5th as you do to the right of 5th, maybe more. Its like an enormous no mans land.

So what you end up doing is trying to stay right on the 4-5 upshift and end up in no man's land.

Then on the 5-6 upshift you try to stay left to stay away from reverse. And thats when you hit 4th instead.

I never had a problem of hitting 4th instead of 6th. I did on a couple occaisions hit no man's land when upshifting to 5th......but its not a big deal.

And like I said, it took less than a day to get it into my wrists memory....

And just so you know, I always shift 100rpm before vtec!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #14
MameXP
iBOOST- Do u?

Hmm ok, thanks alot guys...

I have a second question.

What about engine swap? something like K20A2 engine in EK with 6speed tranny, will the TypeS ECU have the reverse lockout? is the solenoid in the gearbox? something i can fix by adding it? If the TypeS ECU will still remain the reverse lock out i think i'm better off getting the TypeS ECU right?

My future plan is to have K20 engine in another car with TypeS 6speed tranny (ofcourse with ITR FD and LSD). So you can get what i'm concerning . Note: my goal to RWD too...

If the TypeS ECU still remain the reverse lock out, i'm better off getting the TypeS ECU. If not, there is no point getting one right?

Mine is TypeS, its just that i can find Base ECU for lots cheaper due to wreck yard has them instock

Thanks again

Last edited by MameXP; 01-23-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
Razathorn
glory to the hypnotoad

Quote:
Hmm ok, thanks alot guys...

I have a second question.

What about engine swap? something like K20A2 engine in EK with 6speed tranny, will the TypeS ECU have the reverse lockout? is the solenoid in the gearbox? something i can fix by adding it? If the TypeS ECU will still remain the reverse lock out i think i'm better off getting the TypeS ECU right?

My future plan is to have K20 engine in another car with TypeS 6speed tranny (ofcourse with ITR FD and LSD). So you can get what i'm concerning . Note: my goal to RWD too...

If the TypeS ECU still remain the reverse lock out, i'm better off getting the TypeS ECU. If not, there is no point getting one right?

Mine is TypeS, its just that i can find Base ECU for lots cheaper due to wreck yard has them instock

Thanks again

If you're getting a k20a2 swap with the type-s 6 speed then you need a type-s ecu to control the reverse lockout. The lockout solenode is in the transmission and is part of the engine harness -> ecu setup if I recall correctly.

Wayne
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #16
rensoyka
Breast inspector by appt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredfast
not too sure about the swap either, but there is a solenoid there that prevents you from engaging the reverse gear at any measurable moving speed.
Just so everyone doesn't get totally complacent with the lock-out, it only engages when the vehicle speed increases to 12 mph or more. As you slow down, it de-activates when you drop to 9 mph or less. (Acura repair manual)
Old 01-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #17
MameXP
iBOOST- Do u?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn
If you're getting a k20a2 swap with the type-s 6 speed then you need a type-s ecu to control the reverse lockout. The lockout solenode is in the transmission and is part of the engine harness -> ecu setup if I recall correctly.

Wayne
But the base ECU can still work with the TypeS tranny right? except the reverse lock out ofcourse.

So you recommend me to get the TypeS ECU then?

Its not for my car, but i will use it for a while to get a hold of K-Pro then i proceed with my project of having K20A2 in another chassis and looking to have RWD, so this ECU will then be used for the project car.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Razathorn
glory to the hypnotoad

Quote:
But the base ECU can still work with the TypeS tranny right? except the reverse lock out ofcourse.

So you recommend me to get the TypeS ECU then?

Its not for my car, but i will use it for a while to get a hold of K-Pro then i proceed with my project of having K20A2 in another chassis and looking to have RWD, so this ECU will then be used for the project car.
I would say that having the lockout is required if you are going to use the type-s trasmission. Type-s ecus go for $200 bucks.