Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

How To Aim Projector Headlights

129K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  ggwpty 
#1 ·
There may be a thread on this already but I figured I would make a thread that was easy to find if you did a search. Please feel free to contribute if you think I may have left anything out....or if you would do something differently.

TO AIM PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS:

1. Align your car dead center in your driveway....the front and back of your car need to be perfectly aligned in the center..

2. Pull your car up to the garage door...as close as you can get w/o hitting the door..dead center in the middle of the garage door / driveway.

3. Put a piece of tape where the headlight beams hit the garage door. This should only be smal dot of light...

4. Pull you car back 25'. Your Projector lens should be 25' away from the garage door...not your tires or your bumper...your headlights. DEAD CENTER IN THE DRIVEWAY

5. With tape Place a VERTICAL line that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. Use a yardstick or a straight edge t make it perpendicular to the driveway. This is important for aiming your lights right to left....this is just as important as up and down because if your lights are aimed to far left you will still be shining omcoming traffic in the eyes and if they are aimed too far right your not getting the most out of your light.

6. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. They should oth be the same height off the driveway.

7. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that is 2.1" lower than the tape you placed on the garage in instruction #6. This line should be parallel with the line in #6...just 2.1" lower.

8. Cover up the passenger side headlight with a thick towel.

9. Turn on your lights

10. Drivers Side UP/Down: Bring the lower step of the cutoff to or below the tape line that is 2.1" lower than your headlights...Dot Spec is 2.1" to 2.5" drop over 25'

11. Drivers Side Right / Left: The Vertical line on the drivers side of the garage should intersect the middle of the slant on the cutoff. Move the beam pattern until this is the case.

Moving the projectors from right to left may effect the height of the beam pattern. If this is the case..just go back and fine tune.

12. Cover the Drivers side headlight with a thick towel.

13. Repeat the UP/Down Left/Right procedure that you did on the drivers side with the passenger side. The vertical line on the passenger side of the garage is to be used for instersecting the slant in the cutoff on the passenger side headlight beam.

See less See more
#6 ·
It will be more difficult for sure. The changes in depth (door / wall) will make it look like the cutoffs are crooked. Its enough to drive you crazy.

Check out this shot and you'll see what I mean:

Maybe its not so bad. You might have a hard time with the area between the headlights though..either way...it can be done and good luck to you.

#9 ·
It is possible that you (or someone else) adjusted the projectors out so far that it popped the mounting point of the projector out of the socket. A good indication of this (besides trouble aiming) is when the projectors flop around when you hit bumps.

In the ebay headlights (02-04 non eyebrow) there are three mounting points on the projectors:

1. up/down adjuster screw

2. Left/Right adjuster screw

3. Anchor point or pivot ball. It sits on the bottom an acts as an anchoring point so that the projectors are not floating around on just two adjuster screws.

Check out this picture with captions;

#10 ·
It is possible to fix them w/o tearing them apart but its a little tricky. You'll have to take them off the car and try to force that ball into the socket by guesswork since you won't be able to see it. You should have a real good idea how to maneuver the projectors so the pop back in though. Remember: If you popped them out of the sockets it is because they were adjusted way too far out (down and/or out). In order to get them in a position to pop back into the socket you will have to turn the adjuster screws clockwise to brink the projectors closer to the back of the housing and the socket.

D

#11 ·
Very good starting point but this method only works if your driveway is level from the door to wherever you position the car 25' away. I also aimed my lights a bit lower than DOT since I thought I was aimed too high and blinding people at the correct height. I may be at about 3" with TSX projectors. cops over in my area are looking for a reason to pull people over so I have my wife's civic with E55 projectors aimed even lower due to the higher step.

#18 ·
okay, i forgot to tell you, i have the projectors with the eyebrow.. how can i get those bcuz the bolts/screws are different and i'm also trying to get them to beam out further bcuz it only beams out about 15' in front of me..

#19 ·
I've never done those lights but it should be pretty much the same. There should be two adjusters per projector. One for up/down and one for left/right. Can you confirm that there are two adjuster screws per projector?

#20 ·
I have the eyebrow headlights too. It only lights 15' or maybe less in front of me. On some roads, it's impossible to see anything... My questions is, I see two silver screws on the back of the light, but one of them is very difficult to get to and I think that one is the Up/Down screw. Do I have to take it off or is it possible without taking the lights off? maybe a special kind of tool?

#22 ·
don't try to use the (flathead) screwdriver like you would a normal screwdriver.....just use it to turn the screw by pushing down on either side of the head...that is why the adjuster screws are flared like that.

#26 ·
That is the "hot" wire. There should be a red and a white. White is ground. You have to connect/tap the red to your parking lights...

#32 ·
Im glad i came across this thread... about an hour ago a cop pulled up next to me and said (u need fix that shit cuz its too damn bright, i was about to give u a ticket) and its due to my passenger side projector aiming too high. U dont know how much i just wanted to say (i dont even have HIDs bitch!) lol that wouldnt be smart. anyway, thanks for the guide man.

#42 ·
Not sure about if u can get a ticket for it, but from what i know, not all projectors are road approved.

the ones i have, Anzo, are dot approved and legal. If i did get a ticket for them, i'd deffinitely fight it for sure since i didnt break the law.

check if yours are dot / road approved, and if they are, fight it imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.