Obx Power Pulleys Review - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

DOT'S-S is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Obx Power Pulleys Review

After doing some research, reading threads, testamonials, skeptical opinions, and warnings, i decided to say FUCK IT and install an underdrive pulley set about 2 months ago. I figured i'd give them a trial run befor i did a review.

When i first installed them, i was dissapointed...........in myself..........for not doing them earlier.

U can definatly feel the difference. Better pull low-end, and improved acceloration and throttle response throughout the entire rpm band. I choose OBX brand pulley set because of the extreme light weight. the crank pulley alone weighted less than 9/10 of a pound. (.88 to be exact) The crank + accessory set allows u to reuse the stock sized belt.

My set was installed by a very experienced acura service mechanic in his own spare time. Install time took less than 2 hrs. He obtained all new factory honda parts needed for the install. He also advised me that.."shaving weigh off the crank will give u noticable improvements, but it's not good to do it from both ends" If you're gonna do pullies or flywheel, do one or the other--not both.

Now...to those who swear that pullies don't do shit for our cars......your only half right.

U get very very little benefit fom accessory pulleys ALONE. In order to get the maximum benefit from pulleys, u have to get the whole underdrive set. CRANK+ACCESSORY Because the crank pulley relieves way more weight off the crank then the accessory pullies do.

PULLEYS DO NOT GIVE U MORE HP.....but they do free up some of the hp an engine normally loses through paresidic drag (like a flywheel)-resaulting in more hp to the wheels.

So basically, i've had the obx underdrive pulley set for about 2 months now and so far, i've not noticed any vibrations, noises, dimming lights, ac malfunction, etc but if i do at a later time, you'll hear about it. The only THING I'VE NOTICED WAS IMPROVED PERFORMENCE.
Pulleys, as well as other performence parts, come with a risk...some high...some low, but by following proper instructions and installation procesures, i don't see them posing any problems.
DOT'S-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Heronbone
Official Bitch Slapper

Heronbone is on a distinguished road
Nice, congrats on joining the dark side! I myself have a set of UR pulleys. The whole underdrive kit. I like them and wouldnt get rid of them for anything, mainly because of the pain in the ass it is to change out again, but moreso because of the performance increase. Enjoy.
K-PRO*GReddy Kit*650cc's*T1R Power63 Exhaust*T1R Test Pipe*RBC*Spoon 70MM TB*UR Racing Pulleys*Hondata IMG*Ingalls Engine Damper*Greddy Front Strut Tower*Skunk2 Lowering Springs*Sparco Grip Pedals*Comptech Short Shifter*"Squash" air freshner
T1R CREW!
Heronbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
exmayol

exmayol has been a little shit in the past
Glad to see more people doing it. I have UR set too and I love it!!!
exmayol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Thanx!-i got tired of listening to people who never tried them and decided to see for myself.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
SoloTeg
Semi Kind of Retired

SoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
SoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii FitSoloTeg probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
Why would lightweight pulleys and lightweight flywheel combination be bad?
i like you soloteg, you keep things interesting.
SoloTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTeg View Post
Why would lightweight pulleys and lightweight flywheel combination be bad?
I should had payed more attention to him, but he said someing about too much weight loss on the crank and inertia and spinning mass....some shit like that. He's not the first person i've heard say that.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
htotheizo
Master Member

htotheizo is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT'S-S View Post
I should had payed more attention to him, but he said someing about too much weight loss on the crank and inertia and spinning mass....some shit like that. He's not the first person i've heard say that.
i wonder what would be more beneficial then the lighter flywheel or the pulleys
htotheizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htotheizo View Post
i wonder what would be more beneficial then the lighter flywheel or the pulleys
Not to sure, my pulley set is 4 or 5lbs lighter than stock and i believe a stock flywheel is about 13 or 14lbs(correct me if i'm wrong) so when u go down to a 9lb flywheel, u eliminate 4lbs.

But for some reason, people say u feel it more from the flywheel--but i wouldn't know.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
htotheizo
Master Member

htotheizo is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Not to sure, my pulley set is 4 or 5lbs lighter than stock and i believe a stock flywheel is about 13 or 14lbs(correct me if i'm wrong) so when u go down to a 9lb flywheel, u eliminate 4lbs.

But for some reason, people say u feel it more from the flywheel--but i wouldn't know.

Too bad you can't do both. I hate doing one thing that will make it so I can't do another thing later on if the time comes and I want to do it.
htotheizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htotheizo View Post
Too bad you can't do both. I hate doing one thing that will make it so I can't do another thing later on if the time comes and I want to do it.
I hear that. I've heard of people doing it anyway and having no problems. Just like i heard pulleys were bad for you car. Sometimes u gotta find out things for sure through trial and error.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #11
marroquin57
RIP Guru

marroquin57 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
is it harmonicaly balanced like the stock one is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josolanes View Post
car > girl
both cars and girls use a lot of your money (especially when modding), but the car will never leave you for another driver
marroquin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
Heronbone
Official Bitch Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marroquin57 View Post
is it harmonicaly balanced like the stock one is?
after reading about 45 different threads about the UR kit, I have become FULLY aware that our stock crank pulley is not harmonically balanced and just thought I would put that out there before this gets out of hand.
K-PRO*GReddy Kit*650cc's*T1R Power63 Exhaust*T1R Test Pipe*RBC*Spoon 70MM TB*UR Racing Pulleys*Hondata IMG*Ingalls Engine Damper*Greddy Front Strut Tower*Skunk2 Lowering Springs*Sparco Grip Pedals*Comptech Short Shifter*"Squash" air freshner
T1R CREW!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heronbone View Post
after reading about 45 different threads about the UR kit, I have become FULLY aware that our stock crank pulley is not harmonically balanced and just thought I would put that out there before this gets out of hand.
Exactly!--the acura mechanic that installed my pulleys said that the crank is internally balanced. And since he works on acuras everyday for a living, then i believe him.

Last edited by DOT'S-S; 12-30-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #14
JRoabp
Sweet sounds of VTEC

JRoabp is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Yup I've got my full UR set and am glad. BTW the stock flywheel on our car is 16 pounds- I personally wieghed it recently. This sucks cause now I want to get a lightened flywheel, but am wondering if it really wouldn't be the best mod with the pulleys

|RAYS| |INJEN| |BUDDY CLUB| |NEUSPEED| |H&R| |HONDATA| |J's| |ESMM| |UR| |OEM||TYPE-R| |A-Spec|
JRoabp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoabp View Post
Yup I've got my full UR set and am glad. BTW the stock flywheel on our car is 16 pounds- I personally wieghed it recently. This sucks cause now I want to get a lightened flywheel, but am wondering if it really wouldn't be the best mod with the pulleys
They say u shouldn't do it, but people who have done it have not complained. My buddy has the light flywheel and pulleys on his 2000 integra type-r-----he said no problems, but that's a completely different engine than ours.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
marroquin57
RIP Guru

marroquin57 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
alright cool thanks for clearing that up

Quote:
Originally Posted by josolanes View Post
car > girl
both cars and girls use a lot of your money (especially when modding), but the car will never leave you for another driver
marroquin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #17
HondaTom
Master Member

HondaTom is on a distinguished road
No pics no care.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:47 AM   #18
Heronbone
Official Bitch Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTom View Post
No pics no care.
GO RAVENS! but if you dont care, dont post. LOL REP is turned off so post count doesnt mean shit anymore.
T1R CREW!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #19
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTom View Post
No pics no care.
How am i gonna sleep at night knowing that this guy dosen't care....LOL
Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #20
Heronbone
Official Bitch Slapper

yeah its gonna be hard! Try taking a pill. LOL
T1R CREW!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #21
tobe1424

tobe1424 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i picture premature bearing failure....
tobe1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe1424 View Post
i picture premature bearing failure....
If and when this happens, i'll let u know how right u were.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
Temptazn_Mark
www.MarkLinRacing.com

Temptazn_Mark is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heronbone View Post
Harmonic balanced and harmonic dampener is not the same thing.

The OEM pulley has a harmonic dampener.

Most of us out there that haven't done that mod yet hasn't done it not because its balanced crank or whatnot. But its because the pulley has a harmonic dampener.

As stated in maybe 3 other pulley threads, I wouldn't get a pulley unless it is the ATi with a built in dampener.
Temptazn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #24
DOT'S-S
I am the streets!

Not to say that nothing will go wrong in the future, (and i hope it dosen't) but i've yet to see any problems.--it is too early to say that. Since i constantly read about all these people who have had these pulleys on for about a year or more with no complaints, and i've yet to hear any horror stories on an RSX, i figured i'd try them.

In a case like this it all comes down to that u heard vs what u expierienced.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #25
Temptazn_Mark
www.MarkLinRacing.com

Temptazn_Mark is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Not to say that nothing will go wrong in the future, (and i hope it dosen't) but i've yet to see any problems.--it is too early to say that. Since i constantly read about all these people who have had these pulleys on for about a year or more with no complaints, and i've yet to hear any horror stories on an RSX, i figured i'd try them.

In a case like this it all comes down to that u heard vs what u expierienced.
Its true, I haven't heard anything wrong either.
The fact of the matter is, lots of cars come with a harmonic damper and yes they are there to do something.

I remember reading about other vehicles that when changed underdrive pullies the motors have blown very quickly.

I'm still a student and I don't have any money so I personally wouldn't risk spending that $200 or whatever it costs for that 1.5hp or something with the notion that there MAY be a possibility of detrimental effects within the motor.
Temptazn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote