Driver Side Mirror Replacement Question - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL > Problems & Solutions
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
djm1k0
Tranceporter

djm1k0 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Driver Side Mirror Replacement Question

Last night some douchbag thought is was a good idea to Break my driver side mirrror off my car. I was parked on the street and i guess they had nothing better to do.

the mirror itself is fine, it's the bracket that hold the mirror on. There are 3 screws attaching this bracket to the bottom of the mirror and the other end screws to the door. after speaking with Acura they told me i cannot just buy the bracket and that i need to buy the whole mirror $230 !! WTF I don't need the whole mirror. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Also if i were to buy a whole new mirror how do i switch it out ? I figured out how to get it all off but i'm confused on the wire part, do i need to take door panel off ? If so how do i do it does anyone have a DIY ?

Thanks in advance. Ohh and i'm in a 2006 Type S Allabaster Silver
djm1k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
VTEC_Inside
Mmm, 3rd lobe...

VTEC_Inside is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Yes, you need to take the door panel off because someone decided that it would be a good idea to run the harness out of the mirror 1/4 down the damn door.
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft

Slushies are something to drink, not drive...
Nikon Crew Member #23 | Gripped D700/D200/D80, 2.8 from 17-200
VTEC_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
RickM3
///elitist prick

RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some thoughRickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though
looks like unless you find someone that has spare parts laying around, you need to buy the entire thing...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
RickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
djm1k0
Tranceporter

thanks for getting back to me. so all i do is take the panel off and the wire unplugs, correct ? then i just remove the old mirror, put the new mirror in plug it back in and thats it ? it's more or less plug and play correct ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Inside View Post
Yes, you need to take the door panel off because someone decided that it would be a good idea to run the harness out of the mirror 1/4 down the damn door.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
djm1k0
Tranceporter

so i just looked at the door so can prepare myself for when i take the panel off. i have question: when i take the panel off is it going to screw up the door handle mechanisms ? that part seems like a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Inside View Post
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
strikeback03

strikeback03 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
do you have the Helms manual? Full instructions for removing everything, and the handle isn't too hard to get off.

You might not bother removing the interior door though. If you are going to replace the bracket part, you need to cut the harness wires since the plug doesn't fit through the hole into the mirror. You can cut it behind that little triangular panel and reconnect it there and not remove the door panel.

I have a drivers mirror disassembled, PM me if you want that part.
strikeback03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Extra Krispy
Former Mod-Still a God

Extra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out more
Extra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out more
its real easy man trust me.
- On the door take off the black triangle cover right next to the window.
- you only need to unclip the top of the door panel enough to reach down and be able to grab the wireharness.
-Undo the three bolts holding the mirror.
- Unclip the harness and pull the mirror off.
- To put the new one on its just the reverse.

I know these are rough its off the top of my head, any questions just ask
I did this for both mirrors in about 15 min. if you dont want to spend the $230 (i didnt) check these out http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/TYC-TYCRMP...ARSX0204M.html

Extra Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
guswaym
Special Olympics Winner

guswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Man call your insurance you shouldent have to pay for this
2003 Acura RSX Type-S SOLD
guswaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
VTEC_Inside
Mmm, 3rd lobe...

VTEC_Inside is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by guswaym View Post
Man call your insurance you shouldent have to pay for this
Depending on his deductible its probably not worth it.

The mirror is only like $200 new and lets say $80 for an hours labor.

With a $500 deductible they wouldn't cover it anyway.

Plus, not worth getting their attention if you dont HAVE to.
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft

Slushies are something to drink, not drive...
Nikon Crew Member #23 | Gripped D700/D200/D80, 2.8 from 17-200
VTEC_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
djm1k0
Tranceporter

yeah i figure i don't need to take the whole panel off cause i can reach the wires plug with my finger i just can't get to it. do you know where the clips are located on the top of the panel so i can just undue those ? how do the clips come off, i mean do i pull up or to the left or right etc... i also don't want to break any of the clips so as much info as possible.

yeah i had to buy the whole mirror from dealer it was $230 and no point going through insurance. sucks to have to pay this much because of some douch-bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5TypeS02 View Post
- you only need to unclip the top of the door panel enough to reach down and be able to grab the wireharness.

I did this for both mirrors in about 15 min. if you dont want to spend the $230 (i didnt) check these out http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/TYC-TYCRMP...ARSX0204M.html
Old 09-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
Extra Krispy
Former Mod-Still a God

Extra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out more
Extra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out moreExtra Krispy is a super person....that needs to get out more
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm1k0 View Post
yeah i figure i don't need to take the whole panel off cause i can reach the wires plug with my finger i just can't get to it. do you know where the clips are located on the top of the panel so i can just undue those ? how do the clips come off, i mean do i pull up or to the left or right etc... i also don't want to break any of the clips so as much info as possible.

yeah i had to buy the whole mirror from dealer it was $230 and no point going through insurance. sucks to have to pay this much because of some douch-bag
once you take the black cover off start to pull the door panel out carefully but firmly. a few of the top ones will come out and it should be enough to reach in and undo the clip. pretty sure they are like any other connecter you just push the tab in on the top and pull out the connector

Extra Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
john666

john666 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
could always open the mirror up and epoxy it back together.. i did it b4 when my friend backed up and hit a trash can breaking the bracket thing..
john666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
djm1k0
Tranceporter

so i was able to do it during lunch today VERY EASY i pulled on the corner of the door panel until one clip popped then just unplugged the old wire plugged in the new tightened up the bolts put all the plastic trim pieces back where they were supposed to go and good as new.

THANK YOU FOR THE ASSISTANCE !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5TypeS02 View Post
once you take the black cover off start to pull the door panel out carefully but firmly. a few of the top ones will come out and it should be enough to reach in and undo the clip. pretty sure they are like any other connecter you just push the tab in on the top and pull out the connector
Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
mil

mil is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm1k0 View Post
so i was able to do it during lunch today VERY EASY i pulled on the corner of the door panel until one clip popped then just unplugged the old wire
I just tried that, but even with the clip popped it's difficult to get my hand behind the panel because the panel is still attached to the rest of the door from the top (where the window slides). Did you somehow disconnect it from there as well, or did you just pull harder on the panel? I don't want to break the whole thing...

Anyway, I need to order the new mirror assembly first. Some douchebag broke the outside housing of my driver-side mirror yesterday when I was parking on the street. Of course, there was no trace of them when I got to the car. I hate humanity at moments like that...
mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
tungnh91
Twentysomething

tungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
so can anyone explain how can I pull the panel to make room to change the wires ? what am I supposed to do or just pulled it hard ?
Thank you
tungnh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
tungnh91
Twentysomething

tungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxtungnh91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
so the attachments are pics that I took from my car, I need ur assistance ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	362262  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	362263  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
tungnh91
Twentysomething

bumppppp, please help
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
tungnh91
Twentysomething

bump
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
Reborn
I don't know you

Reborn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungnh91 View Post
so can anyone explain how can I pull the panel to make room to change the wires ? what am I supposed to do or just pulled it hard ?
Thank you
Take the panel off. It is the best way. You can't get enough clearance by just undoing the clips. unclipping the harness for the mirror requires pushing part of it down and you simply can't do this with the door panel in the way. Maybe if your 4 year old sister helps or something.

There are 3 screws holding the door panel in. You can find recessed holes and follow them through to the screws. one is at the bottom/edge of the door, the other at the middle, below the arm rest, and the 3rd near the top/front, near the handle.

Now you need to get the handle off. If you pull the lever of the handle, you will notice a tiny little 'clip' at the bottom. you need to stick something very thin under this, push it up, and pull the cover out (whole piece behind the lever). Once the cover is off you see 2 screws holding the handle on. remove these 2 screws. Now pull the handle out gently, it is still attached via cables and harness. Remove the harness for the door lock. Remove the cable for the lever action. Pull the handle off.

Now you need to remove the window switch panel. Pry it out with a flat head screwdriver. Pry upward on the side closer to the front of the car. It will feel like something's gonna break if it's your first time, but just pry that bitch off. It'll pop. That's the giant clips holding it in, don't worry. Disconnect the windown harness and remove the window switch panel.

The door panel is held on all along its border/edge with clips. I like to start at the side closer to the front of the car, at the window, and work my way around. I start there because you can sort of fit your fingers behind the panel there. Just pry the panel off, working your way around, hitting 1-2 clips at a time. Once you get all the clips off, the panel can "swing" along the window ledge. Now just pull it up, clear the door lock, and remove.

Reverse the steps to install.

Look at the Helms guide, between that and these instructions you should be set.

Last edited by Reborn; 02-23-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
Reborn
I don't know you

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeback03 View Post

You might not bother removing the interior door though. If you are going to replace the bracket part, you need to cut the harness wires since the plug doesn't fit through the hole into the mirror.
This is false. The whole assembly comes off fine, and the in tact wire/plug can fit through the hole in the door.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
tungnh91
Twentysomething

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Krispy View Post

how many clips on top of the door did you pull off, because I tried but it seems too tight for me to put my hand in to grab the harness.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Reborn
I don't know you

it is too tight, and I'm not particularly huge. Just take the panel off.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
mil

mil is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Just take the panel off.
I agree. I did it without taking the panel off a few years ago. I succeeded, but I ended up with a slightly damaged door panel at the top, and a friend that was helping me cut his hand. Not worth it. If I had to do it again, I would definitely take the panel off.
mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
think_twice

think_twice is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
No need to take off the entire door panel!

I've just done it, and in ~1 hour the replacement was completed with minimal trouble.

Just do things slowly, and don't hurry. First, remove the triangular mirror cover from inside. Then, pull away the side panel a couple of clips down, use paper towel to cover the sharpish edges of the plastic which you are pulling. Then use a screwdriver to press the side clip that holds the mirror wire harness in place under the plastic, and pull the wire. When connecting the new mirror wires, use a screwdriver to direct the harness into the socket, then push it with a screwdriver again.

So space is indeed tight, but with enough time one can do a simple replacement with very few things moved around, and nothing will be broken, and no hands cut.
think_twice is offline   Reply With Quote