rwd rsx conversion - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Welding, Fabrication, & Tools
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
winnipegrsx

winnipegrsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
rwd rsx conversion

i was wondering if it would be possible to swap a f22, s2k front subframe, s2k rear subframe into an rsx to convert it to rwd. and what the diffrence in wheel base would be , if the rsx is too short for rwd.
seriously considering it, i'm sure it would be the first
winnipegrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
krystar
Master Member

krystar is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
yawn. of course it can be done.
This is the most work I've done at work EVER
krystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
kabe
Master Member

kabe is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
do it, it'd be tight
Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
99MustangGT
Master Member

99MustangGT has been a little shit in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegrsx View Post
i was wondering if it would be possible to swap a f22, s2k front subframe, s2k rear subframe into an rsx to convert it to rwd. and what the diffrence in wheel base would be , if the rsx is too short for rwd.
seriously considering it, i'm sure it would be the first
Do it, that would be a sick car!!
99MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
K20A2
Internet Crack Dealer

K20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
1. it wouldn't be bolt in, they chassis are very different and the RSX doesn't have a transmission tunnel.
2. anything can be done and if you want to send me your RSX, I will do it no problem.

Club RSX Founder
K20A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
krystar
Master Member

i'm still on target with my mid engine rwd RSX project.

current status: concept formulation
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
mizjif
baller wannabe

mizjif is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
im also right on schedule with my AWD rsx build

current status: already done, but i can only drive it in my dreams at night. kinda sucks.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
cryosamurai
Program VietNow...Vexed

cryosamurai is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
this thread fails i already built an AWD rsx a LONG time ago! everyone in my neighborhood already knows this. PM me if you want to know my build designs, its not really that hard.
cryosamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
cryosamurai
Program VietNow...Vexed

cryosamurai is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
here is some pictures of my build.

first thing i did is mount the engine in the rear of the car. and secondly i got a smaller gas tank to save weight. i went with lighter body panels as well. the weight distribution was very well balanced, that of a Porsche. The contextual design was influenced by a mosaic of eclectric monolithic designs that i gathered from the norris of chuck.

basically: car drive real fast......car handle real good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7475_04m.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	321020  Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	321021  
cryosamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
K20A2
Internet Crack Dealer

K20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
sound design, shitty seat

Club RSX Founder
K20A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
winnipegrsx

ya, a mid engine design would brobly be a much easier build than the s2000 idea, but i wanna stick with a honda motor, can the k20 be used in a mid engine app , or would i need to use the C30A/C32B out of a nsx
k20a2, where would you start, mid or front engine,
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
duffman13
9k FTW

duffman13 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
well, lotus elise was originally designed with the k20a in mind before honda said no and the celica gt-s engine got used instead. I know there's a kit to swap the k20 into an elise though.

With all the headache required to make this work, i say if you want a rwd k20 car buy an older elise and do the swap.
duffman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Smilez

Smilez gets around and is known
Smilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is knownSmilez gets around and is known
There is a thread of someone who made a mid engine rwd integra using a b series engine. So you should be able to use a k20.
Smilez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
winnipegrsx

ya im going to go to the local custom / import shop and see what they think, all i know is that would be and amazing transition
Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
krystar
Master Member

a typical tuner shop would not be capable of doing this properly. you're not talking about swapping some parts. you need to reengineer alot of the car to make it work properly. what are you going to do for rear suspension? how are you going to attach the suspension points to the rsx unibody? does it maintain proper geometry? where are you going to get custom sway bars? are the s2k axles lengths enough/too much for the rsx body? is the fuel tank going to get in the way of the rear end? where is the transmission tunnel going to be cut? where is the driveshaft tunnel going to be?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #16
503types
reppin like I'm steppin

503types is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilez View Post
There is a thread of someone who made a mid engine rwd integra using a b series engine. So you should be able to use a k20.
it's an H22

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...TopicID=106670

ask that guy he's got it down, the only thing that would be weird with a MR is the weight distribution, since rsx is made for having weight over front wheels. he had to custom fab up the rear suspension, but you would be able to transplant from an s2k or elise if you go FR
FR rsx would be sweet, a sideways engine would freak everybody out

- Rally cars, by racer x
503types is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #17
blueshark123
10.801@137.72

blueshark123 gets around and is known
blueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is knownblueshark123 gets around and is known
For the love of God why. Just get an s2k or elise please.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
mizjif
baller wannabe

if k20's can work in lotus elise, toyota MR-S and ariel atom can use those motors behind the driver, of course its possible. alot of work but if your good with fabrication, it'd be sick. a friend of mine is head of suspension for the F1 team at U of M, and him and i have looked into building a mid engine honda or adapting awd to an integra alot. pretty much by the time you spend the cash you could have purchased a new STi though. just didnt make sense to us even though honda is in our blood.

BUT, i do have a k24 for you, waiting to sit behind the driverseat and i'd be more than pumped ot join in on this project if you needed help. i AM a machinist so custom parts arent far away.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Danrsxtypes
Back to stock :(

Danrsxtypes is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
If you have the money, why not

Ideal midengine k swap Elise or MR-S
08 OBP sti hatch more junk in the trunk
01 OBP RS 2.5 SOLD!!
07 Impreza Wagon family hauler project
Danrsxtypes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #20
3rdGearGRNDRR
Section 8

3rdGearGRNDRR is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystar View Post
yawn. of course it can be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcaslP9ODAk
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 AM   #21
guswaym
Special Olympics Winner

guswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
my friend has a 00 prelude with a full s2k engine swap and what not its rwd its fucking sick
2003 Acura RSX Type-S SOLD
guswaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #22
mizjif
baller wannabe

pics and videos of this prelude?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #23
guswaym
Special Olympics Winner

guswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsxguswaym might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
ill be sure to get some when the snow melts and he takes it outta the garage lol
2003 Acura RSX Type-S SOLD
guswaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #24
killertofupanda

killertofupanda is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
you're better off using the cr-v or element's 4WD manual transmissions while maintaining a k-series engine. the subframe will need some modications to mount the tranny. the rsx's under chassis could fit the propellar shaft until about the midrear, where it starts to slant downward. you could try cutting this part of the chassis and custom welding and fabricating additional space. for the rear pumpkin, you're best bet is to use an haldex unit and go from there. there's also the issue of reworking your brake bias, brake electronics, weight distribution, suspension setup, exhaust system routing, custom gas tank, and tuning the haldex's computer.

that's about the best way you can make an rsx into AWD without having to extensively change too many of the car's components.
killertofupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #25
Phenromedes
Boostalk!

Phenromedes is on a distinguished roadPhenromedes is on a distinguished roadPhenromedes is on a distinguished road
I'm with the MR design. With the large area in the rear of the car, you could mount an engine back there with what I would assume is less work than changing the entire subframe for a longitudinally mounted transmission and driveshaft. I speak completely from inexperience, but all I could see needing to be done for an MR conversion is strengthening of the rear cargo area's frame, getting custom front and rear suspension to compensate for the change in weight distribution, cutting the necessary space for the engine and transaxle and creating mounts for everything.

There's a reason they use entire Celica drivetrains for MR-S motor/trans swaps. Think about this, not only would you have an MR RSX, but with the proper isolation body work, you could have the engine visible through the hatch the same way Ferrari 360's do. I think it would be an amazing custom but you've got to be looking at about 40K just for that. With that money, you could get an Ariel Atom, Lotus Elise, 350Z, G35, STi, Evo.... So the question is: "Do you really think the RSX is worth all that time?"
Well now, I've got some advice for you, little buddy. Before you point your finger, you should know that I'm The Man. I'm The Man and you're The Man and he's The Man as well, so you can point that fucking finger up your ass.
Phenromedes is offline   Reply With Quote