RSX Base oil filter location - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL > The DIY Garage
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
vette982
vette982

RSX Base oil filter location

Where exactly is the oil filter located on the car? Is it easier to remove it when underneath the car or above the car?

Do you need to use a filter removal tool to get it off?
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD Double-DIN 6.1" TV/DVD
vette982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
mendmyacoustic
Master Member

i just use my hands. its on the passenger side of the engine in between the engine and the firewall

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Budget Minded Student Showoff Thread!!
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=549967
mendmyacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
n0th1ng
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendmyacoustic View Post
i just use my hands. its on the passenger side of the engine in between the engine and the firewall
yup, unless it's on there tight. if you have skinny enough forearms, you can unscrew it from the passenger side inner-fender area. Just get a filter removal tool like this, in case you can't get it off by hand.

n0th1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
20secA3

i hate doing filter change. This is how i do it:
turn right wheel all the way to the right, now crawl inside and it's located on the bottom-left of the engine (looking at it from front of the car).
20secA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
smbRSX

Its easier to get to i think from the top. because there are suspension parts in the way from the bottom.
smbRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
JJMc1025
U.S. Army Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thx1ng View Post
yup, unless it's on there tight. if you have skinny enough forearms, you can unscrew it from the passenger side inner-fender area. Just get a filter removal tool like this, in case you can't get it off by hand.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21.../Capwrench.jpg
dude wtf? THEY MAKE THOSE! i needed something like that so many god damn times
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
vette982
vette982

Are you all driving Base or Type-S models? My sister just got home and I took a peek under the hood and I found the oil filter easily. I just reached in from the passenger side fender between the engine and firewall. And my forearms outrageously skinny either...

As for loosening it, I'm didn't touch it because it was too hot lol. However, the filter I bought for after I put the new oil in is a "Fram SureGrip" and has a rough sandpaper-like texture on the top of the filter for easy removal.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD Double-DIN 6.1" TV/DVD
vette982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
n0th1ng
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbRSX View Post
Its easier to get to i think from the top. because there are suspension parts in the way from the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette982 View Post
Are you all driving Base or Type-S models? My sister just got home and I took a peek under the hood and I found the oil filter easily. I just reached in from the passenger side fender between the engine and firewall. And my forearms outrageously skinny either...

As for loosening it, I'm didn't touch it because it was too hot lol. However, the filter I bought for after I put the new oil in is a "Fram SureGrip" and has a rough sandpaper-like texture on the top of the filter for easy removal.

http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/...oil_filter.jpg
it doesn't matter what model, they have the same engine layout. you might be able to touch it from the top of the engine bay, but I've never been able to loosen it that way.
n0th1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
mendmyacoustic
Master Member

Put the mac hand down and go in from the top. I jack off a lot so I have ample strength in my forearm, left arm only seeing as the right is for clicking. You can go from the side like everyone else as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Budget Minded Student Showoff Thread!!
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=549967
mendmyacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
lownotslow
550whpRSX <3's me

FRAM makes garbage filters. Get the filter tool and Mobil1 filter.

And if you can't get the filter from the top you're a midget woman.

lownotslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
TheMaverick`

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownotslow View Post
FRAM makes garbage filters. Get the filter tool and Mobil1 filter.

And if you can't get the filter from the top you're a midget woman.
Mobil1 or STP oil filters ftw. Fram really doesn't make very good filters. If you want some good information about oil and filters, et cetera, go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com. Lots of great reviews and information.

If you get a filter cap tool... make sure you get a metal one. Wal*Mart sells plastic ones that will work great until you actually need some force to get it off. Usually this means you've over-tightened the filter after the previous oil change... but I've had it happen even when I didn't man-handle it. So... always a good idea to have one around.
[Pedopanda Crew | Late Night Crew - It's not just a crew... it's a lifestyle | Poor Betch Crew #4 | Hypermiling Crew | DrOID Crew]
TheMaverick` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
Reborn
I don't know you

located on the passenger side, between firewall and engine (as mentioned), kind of below/towards the passenger side in relation to the header. you can access it easily from the top. Same location on all rsx models.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
TheMaverick`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
located on the passenger side, between firewall and engine (as mentioned), kind of below/towards the passenger side in relation to the header. you can access it easily from the top. Same location on all rsx models.
I dunno about easily ...but I guess I have rather large forearms. I usually have to remove the bracket that sits over the spark plug cover, and ever then it's a tight squeeze. I usually find it easiest to do it from under the car... just provides the best room for me
[Pedopanda Crew | Late Night Crew - It's not just a crew... it's a lifestyle | Poor Betch Crew #4 | Hypermiling Crew | DrOID Crew]
TheMaverick` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
Reborn
I don't know you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick` View Post
I dunno about easily ...but I guess I have rather large forearms. I usually have to remove the bracket that sits over the spark plug cover, and ever then it's a tight squeeze. I usually find it easiest to do it from under the car... just provides the best room for me
I've got normal sized arms (not huge, not small) and i fit EASILY. I have removed all the power steering brackets though, so I don't remember how tight of a fit it would be with those brackets in place.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
matrix22
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED

loosen lugs on RF wheel. jack up car on RF side. remove RF wheel and put aside. reach in wheel well through engine compartment, there's your oil filter. reach in and down. before loosening, place some shop rags on your lower control arm, some oil will run out of the filter as you're unscrewing it. rags will catch the oil that would otherwise flood your lower control arm. i use OEM Honda filters. i've seen a comparison of oil filters, and stocks are the best. lube the new filter o-ring and install. now you can drain the oil from the pan comfortably with the car off the ground. well, this is how i do it, and it seems to take 15 mins to do it. filter, drain, new crush washer for drain plug! NEW CRUSH WASHER FOR DRAIN PLUG! tighten, inspect work , don't forget the rags on the control arm. install wheel, hand tight lugs, lower car, torque lugs. and you are done!
matrix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
SkylineTT7
OMG DC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette982 View Post

http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/...oil_filter.jpg
fram is not good....stick to k&n, mobil 1, or the oem one
Done
Accelerating
- My Show-Off Thread: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=689498
SkylineTT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
matrix22
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED

oh sorry, my 4 point Carbing F strut tower brace gets my hand stuck with a used filter in my hand. that's why i go from the wheel well. i'm sorry i didn't clarify.
matrix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
l e o h j
got swirls?

it's near the header so be very careful not to burn yourself. you can get to it from the top unless your short and have short hands

DIY: BUDDYCLUB SHORT-SHIFTER INSTALL
l e o h j is offline   Reply With Quote