Coolant inside Engine Block - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL > Problems & Solutions
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
AZNmanAndy
diy guy

Coolant inside Engine Block

im aware when u drain the radiator... there is still coolant in the block
so u fill it with distilled water and run the engine to flush out the coolant until it comes out clear

doesnt that mean there is water in the block still, so how can u completely drain the system?

what i want to know is:

1) how much coolant resides inside the block approximately?
2) if i flush with distilled water, then drain the radiator, isn't there water in the block now? even after draining

i just dont see how its possible to completely drain the system, i know that on other cars u can drain the coolant in the block by removing a bolt on the block, but i dont think the rsx is like that
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
BlAcuraRsx
My nose in your coke bag

you could get an air compressor and blow air into it forcing out the coolant.
Car and Driver: An engine that screams with pleasure, perfectly precise controls, tasteful execution of every detail, red instrument lighting that really works. A jewel of a car, uncorrupted by froufrou.

Sounds like they are talking about the RSX... oh wait.. they are.
BlAcuraRsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
lksdG2

if you do blow it out be gentle, the cooling system is made for 20 psi max, which is less than 1/5 the pressure of a standard compressor.

it'd be easy to blow a seal out so be gentle
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
BlAcuraRsx
My nose in your coke bag

forgot to touch that subject... haha.
Car and Driver: An engine that screams with pleasure, perfectly precise controls, tasteful execution of every detail, red instrument lighting that really works. A jewel of a car, uncorrupted by froufrou.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
Blown330
Blown is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNmanAndy View Post
i just dont see how its possible to completely drain the system, i know that on other cars u can drain the coolant in the block by removing a bolt on the block, but i dont think the rsx is like that
It isn't reasonably possible unless you pull the engine nor is it even necessary. OEM's don't even flush the engines all the way out when the run them in on the test stands before shoving them in your car. The minor amount left in the block isn't going to affect anything compared to how much your adding to refill the system.
Blown330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
2010 admin

There is a drain plug in the block but it's only accessible if the tranny is out.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Jay
likes to troubleshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNmanAndy View Post
im aware when u drain the radiator... there is still coolant in the block
so u fill it with distilled water and run the engine to flush out the coolant until it comes out clear

doesnt that mean there is water in the block still, so how can u completely drain the system?

what i want to know is:

1) how much coolant resides inside the block approximately?
2) if i flush with distilled water, then drain the radiator, isn't there water in the block now? even after draining

The total coolant capacity (manual transmission) is 6.8 US quarts. That includes the radiator, engine block, coolant hoses, heater, and overflow reservoir. So drain what you can (including the overflow reservoir) and measure what came out. Subtract that from 6.8 quarts. That's how much is left in the engine.

You don't flush the RSX with distilled water because the Honda coolant is premix and the left-over water will dilute the coolant. Flushing isn't necessary. Just remember to get the engine warm and set the heater temp to max heat. That will make sure that coolant drains from the heater.

I removed my coolant plug from the block on my K20A3 to install an engine heater. It wasn't that tough, if you're really determined to get a little more coolant out, but it's not worth the trouble IMO.

Last edited by Jay; 01-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Drewski's
beersnob

agree with it not being worth the trouble, just flush out the most you can and fill her back up. not going to make any difference or changes.
All Motor Crew Member #18
I touch myself at night when my parents go to sleep.
Drewski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
texm3x

i found coolant in my block aswell looks like its either comming from the throttle body or o-ring seal that goes around the bracket for the water pump is mounted.

i took off my intake TB the other day to clean iacv sensor bay. didn't think nothing of it till i saw my car leaking antifreeze with oil.then i remembered i saw antifreeze in the manifold when i cleaned the iacv sensor area to stop iddleing.also remembered to change out the o-ring seal on the bracket where the waterpump is mounted. don't know what it could be thats throwing coolant from the TB any help?????any suggestions???
So I had a tripped out dream that I was cruising with texmex in a old white car and for some reason we were falling from the sky lol so I grabbed the car phone to call 911 head off towards the sand dunes and of course Texmex was like you hungry?.....and I woke up lol
you still dreaming about my chorizo ??
texm3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
BlAcuraRsx
My nose in your coke bag

9mo thread bump