$12,000 Turbo?!?!?!? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > Turbo
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
boostbounddc5

$12,000 Turbo?!?!?!?

"To properly do a reliable turbo kit on a K series with all the supporting mods, tuning, install, etc you are looking at an absolute solid $12k"

^^^This is what I have just been told by a premier-tuner/installer shop in New York. Mind you, I already told him I have a CAI and Exhaust Kit. Is this TRUE?!?! $12K?!

Here is what I dont understand. Say you are looking for a MILD set-up, not big power, not trying to push your motor to the limits, just trying to boost mildly to have fun, without spending ridiculous money for the best product when your only trying to run a mild setup. So, say you found a Gredyy kit (reliable enough, right?) for $4,500. Lets put up a reasonable estimate and you can then all tell me if I am on-track or flame me and tell me im an idiot/stupid/dont know anything. Either way, I would love to hear your opinions on this!

PS - This is a ROUGHHHHHHHHHH estimate, by all accounts. I am just trying to see how this can add up to $12K

Greddy Kit = ~$4,500 (correct me if I am way off)
1000ccInjectors = $350
Fuel Pump = $100
K-pro = $1,500
Fuel Rail= $100
Installation = $1,200
Tune = $500
Motor Mounts = $300

Grand Total = $8,550

This is what I have come up with to support a mild set-up. I know everyone has separate opinions, but I have searched far and wide and these are the supporting mods I have been advised I will need for mild-setup. Feel free to tack on and/or correct my pricing, but 8.5K is much less then 12k.

How are we talking 12K? Am I way off, or is this shop way off?!

Edit: I find it imperative to mention, I do understand that this could become 12K if you really wanted it to. Anyone could argue that. What I am trying to find out is, can it really NOT be done for LESS then 12K?! Maybe I am undershooting. Then again, maybe I am even overshooting and maybe it can even be less then $8.5K! Please Help!

Last edited by boostbounddc5; 04-14-2014 at 06:44 PM.
boostbounddc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
What 1000cc injectors did you find for $350? Or did you mean $350 a piece? Cause those injectors are around $385 a piece for good ones like Injector Dynamic injectors
http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/IJD-1...5-48-14-4.html

You'll also want to really redo your fuel line to supply the fuel, so now you have AN fuel line, inline fuel filter, misc fittings which adds up quick.

Also all your other misc bullshit parts and pieces such as heat wrap. You want to heat wrap everything if you haven't tucked or gotten rid of it all. Also want to heat treat/ceramic coat all your manifold, piping, and turbo etc for heat.

You also need a full 3" exhaust (preferably) which doesn't come with the turbo kit.

There's just lots of misc but you don't need to spend 12k for the turbo kit, but if you want to do it right the first time you better believe it can total up to it.

Spaz Approved Decals and Shirts available!
Type-Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
boostbounddc5

Spaz, thanks for the response!

Okay I rounded down on the injectors, but I was looking at these (4 for $381):
http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/DWS-21U-01-1000-4.html

As for everything else, is heat management really necessary right off the bat? I know in terms of efficiency and power, thats a must, but if you wanted to do that later on down the road, couldn't you hold off?

As for fuel, also upgradeable? From what I have researched, I have found that many poeple recommend the injectors and furl pump, rail, and yes, maybe fuel lines, but necessary right away, or nice-to-haves? You seem incredibly knowledgeable so I feel inclined to trust your judgement over other threads I have read.

Finally, exhaust. I have the Invidia q300, which is 2.75in. Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
iBoost
U mad bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Spaz View Post
What 1000cc injectors did you find for $350? Or did you mean $350 a piece? Cause those injectors are around $385 a piece for good ones like Injector Dynamic injectors

You'll also want to really redo your fuel line to supply the fuel, so now you have AN fuel line, inline fuel filter, misc fittings which adds up quick.

Also all your other misc bullshit parts and pieces such as heat wrap. You want to heat wrap everything if you haven't tucked or gotten rid of it all. Also want to heat treat/ceramic coat all your manifold, piping, and turbo etc for heat.

You also need a full 3" exhaust (preferably) which doesn't come with the turbo kit.

There's just lots of misc but you don't need to spend 12k for the turbo kit, but if you want to do it right the first time you better believe it can total up to it.
I agree with everything but heat treating/ceramic coating. This is not necessary at all. Wrapping items such as the harness with heat tape is sufficient.

Don't forget about items such as a clutch, LSD (highly recommended), AN fittings for fuel setup and oil return (those little buggers add up quick), etc.

12K does seem like a bit much for a minor turbo build.

Oh - your CAI and exhaust will pretty much be useless if you go turbo.
iBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
boostbounddc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Spaz View Post

I rounded a bit, but I was looking at these injectors ($381):

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
I agree with everything but heat treating/ceramic coating. This is not necessary at all. Wrapping items such as the harness with heat tape is sufficient.

Don't forget about items such as a clutch, LSD (highly recommended), AN fittings for fuel setup and oil return (those little buggers add up quick), etc.

12K does seem like a bit much for a minor turbo build.

Oh - your CAI and exhaust will pretty much be useless if you go turbo.
I know the CAI would be useless, but why the exhaust?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
iBoost
U mad bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostbounddc5 View Post
I rounded a bit, but I was looking at these injectors ($381):

I know the CAI would be useless, but why the exhaust?
This is just personal preference, but it would take a lot for me to use anything but Injector Dynamic.

Is your exhaust 3in? If not, you'll be choking your setup.
iBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
tchurch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostbounddc5 View Post
"To properly do a reliable turbo kit on a K series with all the supporting mods, tuning, install, etc you are looking at an absolute solid $12k"

^^^This is what I have just been told by a premier-tuner/installer shop in New York. Mind you, I already told him I have a CAI and Exhaust Kit. Is this TRUE?!?! $12K?!

Here is what I dont understand. Say you are looking for a MILD set-up, not big power, not trying to push your motor to the limits, just trying to boost mildly to have fun, without spending ridiculous money for the best product when your only trying to run a mild setup. So, say you found a Gredyy kit (reliable enough, right?) for $4,500. Lets put up a reasonable estimate and you can then all tell me if I am on-track or flame me and tell me im an idiot/stupid/dont know anything. Either way, I would love to hear your opinions on this!

PS - This is a ROUGHHHHHHHHHH estimate, by all accounts. I am just trying to see how this can add up to $12K

Greddy Kit = ~$4,500 (correct me if I am way off)
1000ccInjectors = $350
Fuel Pump = $100
K-pro = $1,500
Fuel Rail= $100
Installation = $1,200
Tune = $500
Motor Mounts = $300

Grand Total = $8,550

This is what I have come up with to support a mild set-up. I know everyone has separate opinions, but I have searched far and wide and these are the supporting mods I have been advised I will need for mild-setup. Feel free to tack on and/or correct my pricing, but 8.5K is much less then 12k.

How are we talking 12K? Am I way off, or is this shop way off?!

Edit: I find it imperative to mention, I do understand that this could become 12K if you really wanted it to. Anyone could argue that. What I am trying to find out is, can it really NOT be done for LESS then 12K?! Maybe I am undershooting. Then again, maybe I am even overshooting and maybe it can even be less then $8.5K! Please Help!
you could piece a very reliable kit, built with quality parts, second hand and save a ton of money, you can get a greddy kit for 1300, you wont need 1000cc injectors 750cc rc injectors would be fine and that can be under 300, and kpro depending on the year is between 800-1300 not 1500. tune can be between 400-600 and installation will be prolly anywhere form 1000-1500 depending on what needs to be done...

Last edited by tchurch; 04-15-2014 at 08:44 PM.
tchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
boostbounddc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchurch View Post
you could piece a very reliable kit, built with quality parts, second hand and save a ton of money, you can get a greddy kit for 1300, you wont need 1000cc injectors 750cc rc injectors would be fine and that can be under 300, and kpro depending on the year is between 800-1300 not 1500. tune can be between 400-600 and installation will be prolly anywhere form 1000-1500 depending on what needs to be done...
Oh man.. this is intense, a little overwhelming. I would love to piece together a very reliable kit, however I feel like everyone advises you to get diff parts, say that certain parts you don't need, while others say they are critical. I know it comes down to personal preference in the end, but without having experience building and running custom kits, how would you ever know if you are getting the right stuff! If I could find a used greddy kit in perfect working condition for 1,300, that would obviously be awesome for my goals, but I would assume that would mean I would have to place blind faith/trust in someone on the internet to sell me a quality kit without missing parts, wouldn't it? Man, wish I knew where to find that.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Doing a turbo install I would never buy used parts. That's just me. I would want all new
No one ever mentions the The Rev hard kit anymore? I'm assuming there's an rsx one. But on my ep3 it came with a decent sized turbo. I paid 3500 I beleive without kpro, It came with injectors. If a shop is doing everything I'm pretty sure 12 isn't far off if there including everything. Getting the kit and Kpro alone is almost 4500. Plus install and tune, ur gona need a better clutch which ur gona have to pay for install too. Gauges, heat wrap, better motor mounts, An exhaust system, turbo lines. That price seems kinda high but not to far off. I paid 6k for motor swap , turbo install, a clutch Flywheel plus install, and a custom 3in exhaust system made and installed, Walbro fuel pump purchase and installed. My k24 was 1k the turbo kit was 3500 and tune was 500. So I was right around the 12 mark. U should be a little under 9 for everything

Last edited by superchargedk20; 04-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
superchargedk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
The problem is everyones a mechanic/know it all and everyone has experience with something different. If you really look at it with open eyes, no two setups are actually the same.

I had RC injectors and now ID and I wouldn't go back to RC ever. I also run a Precision turbo yet some people don't like them and prefer Garrett or now the big mighty EFR turbos..

I wouldn't run a log manifold but for cheap it saves a lot of money (revhard and greddy kits) etc etc etc.

You just need to find what you can afford and what you want to cheap on or not cheap on in the end. . . it's your build

Spaz Approved Decals and Shirts available!
Type-Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Log manifold is fine for mild builds and a smaller turbo. I would only want a sidewinder if i had a boss setup like spaz or monjarssi. I've had the same Revhard manifold for 4 yrs. I'm just a fan of the rev hard kit because the kit itself has never given me any problems (knock on wood) plus u get a better turbo than that tiny mitsubishi one with greddy

Last edited by superchargedk20; 04-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
k20z1dc5
FWD FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
Log manifold is fine for mild builds and a smaller turbo. I would only want a sidewinder if i had a boss setup like spaz or monjarssi. I've had the same Revhard manifold for 4 yrs. I'm just a fan of the rev hard kit because the kit itself has never given me any problems (knock on wood)
its a very reliable kit, monjarassi started on that kit 4yrs ago and from what i hear his held up real good.

Sidewinder is pimp doh
Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
tchurch
Master Member

i had a revhard log mani with a gt3076r and made 400 to the wheels at 12 pounds, however i'm going with a sidewinder tubular manifold to get more power, but with his power goals it doesn't seem as though a high dollar manifold is needed.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20z1dc5 View Post
its a very reliable kit, monjarassi started on that kit 4yrs ago and from what i hear his held up real good.

Sidewinder is pimp doh
Yup yup I beleive his k24a1 stock on that kit pumped out over 400whp. I'm currently at 336whp on a stock k24a1 with tons of room to go higher
Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
k20z1dc5
FWD FTW!

Quote:
Yup yup I beleive his k24a1 stock on that kit pumped out over 400whp. I'm currently at 336whp on a stock k24a1 with tons of room to go higher
yupp thats rite, on the vtec killer he made 410 on only 11lbs of boost. The kit is nice i was gonna start on that one when i was going boost but ended up picking one up off a partout with a fullrace sidewinder,awww i love it
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20z1dc5 View Post
yupp thats rite, on the vtec killer he made 410 on only 11lbs of boost. The kit is nice i was gonna start on that one when i was going boost but ended up picking one up off a partout with a fullrace sidewinder,awww i love it
If OP wants a basic kit it's either emusa , greddy, or Revhard. If he dont wana break into 300 I would just snag an emusa kit and make like 280 or so and call it a day
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
k20z1dc5
FWD FTW!

Quote:
If OP wants a basic kit it's either emusa , greddy, or Revhard. If he dont wana break into 300 I would just snag an emusa kit and make like 280 or so and call it a day
ahmen brotha
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
boostbounddc5

If you wanted to buy these kits brand new from the company, where would I find these kits? When I look at the Turbo sticky, the links are outdated and when they are not outdated (like the greddy website for example), you cant find a kit for the 05-06 Type-S (I'm assuming because its not a top seller these days). Maybe I am just bad at finding sites that sell what people are talking about? Or do you need to go to other websites suppliers? Something like a "turbokits.com". I found these turbos, fullrace, hkx, and greddy.

http://www.turbokits.com/Acura/RSX_Type_S/Turbo_Kits/

Thoughts on the pricing? Suggestions on where to look for these revhard and emusa kits?

Found this "emusa" kit online, but $699? This seems ridiculous, makes me not trust it at all.
http://www.ojperformance.com/Online%...at=1330&page=1
Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Emusa kit is cheap , u can ebay that .. I got my Revhard kit from showstoppers. I'm sure the crsx store has turbo kits. Corsport also sells turbo kits
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
ryguy2588

If you piece together a kit with quality parts, you won't spend anywhere near $12k on a turbo kit. You can build 2 good kits for that price.
ryguy2588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #21
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy2588 View Post
If you piece together a kit with quality parts, you won't spend anywhere near $12k on a turbo kit. You can build 2 good kits for that price.
He's talking about all parts needed plus an install at a mechanics not just the turbo kit itself
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #22
Perdonic

Your forgetting gauges that's easy 500$ plus your tranny isn't going to last forever.
Perdonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #23
boostbounddc5

Quote:
Emusa kit is cheap , u can ebay that .. I got my Revhard kit from showstoppers. I'm sure the crsx store has turbo kits. Corsport also sells turbo kits
Thanks for the responses, btw! Well if definitely DON'T want to pick up something generic off Ebay that cost $700. I can't imagine anybody would. I looked up the revhard one and I don't see any details. No details regarding the materials, or even what turbo is used. I am assuming you did not buy a revhard kit without knowing what the kit included?
http://showstoppersusa.com/rev-hard-...kit-02-up-rsx/

Even the HKS and Greddy kits on the link below have more details then the revhard listing, even though they are cheaper
http://www.turbokits.com/Acura/RSX_Type_S/Turbo_Kits/

This makes me nervous. When you all talk about, for example, the "Revhard" kit, is there only one application around, or are their multiple "revhard" kits to choose from for our car?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #24
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdonic View Post
Your forgetting gauges that's easy 500$ plus your tranny isn't going to last forever.
He's only looking for a mild builds. The trans "should" be fine
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #25
LowLife4Life
TK

I would think he can just replace his clutch down the road, after he gets the big expense out of the way (all things turbo install). Also found most people recommend heat management, but that this, also, can be done later on down the road.

From my research, for boostbound's power goals, I've found that most people recommend the following to get started, reliably:

Turbo Kit
ECU
Fuel Line
Fuel Rail
Injectors
Fuel Pump
Oil Return line
Exhaust (which he has already)

Everyone recommends this, or that, but I have found many posts that mention that the above listed items will get you started, and if you buy quality parts of those items, you should be good to go.

Now, I bought this kit when it was in a ridiculous sale, so I figured I had to jump on it. Haven't decided on whether or not its going on the car yet though. Seems not to have much info specifically about the turbo itself (so not sure what people think about it), but they do advertise an actual RSX that they designed it on and have it installed on, and also noone has openly flamed this kit on the forum yet. Maybe an option for boostbound?:

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=RSX
LowLife4Life is offline   Reply With Quote