Powersteering pump whine when cold out - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL > Problems & Solutions
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Theos92vr4

Theos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Powersteering pump whine when cold out

Hey guys. Having a little issue with my 02 type s. Whenever it is colder out (below 50) my car has a whining noise to it. It comes from the power steering pump, and gets louder as you turn the wheel and pick up speed. The car isnt hard at all to turn, but this noise is driving me crazy.

I checked the fluid level, and its right where its supposed to be. But there are some tiny air bubbles at the top, and it kind of smells like it was burning abit.

My friend seems to think it is the resevior and hose thing. He says they go bad alot. Do you think that could be the problem, or do I need a new powersteering pump?

Thanks guys!
Theos92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
ChadoDC5

ChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxChadoDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
hows the belt? i had the same problem, turns out the belt was just worn out, after changing it the whining went away and also cut down on vibrations
ChadoDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Theos92vr4

Theos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTheos92vr4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadoDC5 View Post
hows the belt? i had the same problem, turns out the belt was just worn out, after changing it the whining went away and also cut down on vibrations
The belt looks fine, no chunks missing or stress cracks in it.

The noise actually went away. I drove the car to the grocery store, drove home and then parked it for about an hour. got back into the car and no more noise or anything. Idk what is going on
Old 10-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
crdom524

crdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxcrdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxcrdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxcrdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxcrdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxcrdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxcrdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxcrdom524 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Had the same problem wit my 6mt accord. I just replaced the O-ring from the pumps inlet joint and it worked. got the O-ring a the dealer for less than a dollar. The O-ring seals it so that you don't get air in the pump and stop the noise.
here use this as reference http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42915
crdom524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Theos92vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdom524 View Post
Had the same problem wit my 6mt accord. I just replaced the O-ring from the pumps inlet joint and it worked. got the O-ring a the dealer for less than a dollar. The O-ring seals it so that you don't get air in the pump and stop the noise.
here use this as reference http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42915
Thanks! ill deffinently give that a try
Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Theos92vr4

Changed o-ring and powersteering fluid. Problem is still there. Only happens for a few minutes when its cold out. Very hard to turn the car, almost like it has no power steering at all. I have noticed with the new fluid that the power steering pump has quieted down a bit. Once the car warms up and gets driven for like a mile, it is fine, no problems at all. Any idea what could be wrong?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
ritak20

ritak20 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
hey i have the same exact problem.... changing the pump asap.. ill let u know
ritak20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
vtec-dc5turbo

vtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxvtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxvtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxvtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxvtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxvtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxvtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxvtec-dc5turbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Did you use OEM PS fluid when you replaced it?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Theos92vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritak20 View Post
hey i have the same exact problem.... changing the pump asap.. ill let u know
Ok Let me know if that makes a difference. I was told by a friend of mine that their is a filter in the resevior (not replaceable) that gets clogged, which starves the pump of fluid. In order to fix this, he said you have to change the whole resevior. I might try that next and see if that makes a difference before I by a new pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-dc5turbo View Post
Did you use OEM PS fluid when you replaced it?
Yep 100% oem acura stuff. The fluid was very dirty.

After changing the oring and the fluid I have noticed the steering is better. Doesnt make noise as long as it did, and the stiffness goes away quick.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Theos92vr4

Well this o-ring didnt solve the problem. Now the car is extremely hard to turn when cold out, and the resevior is leaking. Going to replace the resevior and the pump and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
iluvmyrsxjj

iluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have the same problem and it drives me crazy too! In for answers!
iluvmyrsxjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Theos92vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyrsxjj View Post
I have the same problem and it drives me crazy too! In for answers!
I have a used powersteering pump and resevior on the way, ill let you know if that fixes the problem when I get it installed in about a week
Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
02kseries
I don't care

02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02kseries is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i just let my car warm up a little before i drive it, then it doesnt wine..... it gets real cold up here in NY

94 jeep cherokee sport
5in lift 33x12.50s
02kseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Theos92vr4

Just incase anyone else has this problem, it wound up being a bad powersteering pump. I put a new pump in the car and a new resevior, and now its perfect.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
iluvmyrsxjj

iluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxiluvmyrsxjj is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
How difficult was the install? I'm not very car savvy and I don't want to pay the mechanic.
iluvmyrsxjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
My02DC5

My02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxMy02DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just move the tensioner back, pull the belt off. Remove the hoses going to it and unscrew the two bolts keeping the pump in place, and it comes right off.
Motorcycle Crew #19
My02DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
Acuratype-s04

Acuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxAcuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxAcuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxAcuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxAcuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxAcuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxAcuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxAcuratype-s04 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i have an 04 type s and was wondering if i should replace my power steering pump because when i turn left it will vibrate and whine as well i replaced the belt 2 or 3 months ago. could some of the noise be from a bad pulley? and also all my fluid are fine.
Acuratype-s04 is offline   Reply With Quote