Car won't start, clicking noise and weak battery - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL > Problems & Solutions
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
PackerManDan35
Master Member

Car won't start, clicking noise and weak battery

2003 Acura RSX Type-S. Battery is 2 years old.

I drove to work this morning just fine, car started right up and everything was great. 5 hours later I go to start my car and it doesn't even attempt to turn over, the dash lights come on but the radio won't turn on, the horn sounds very weak and I get this very rapid clicking noise coming from the glove box area.

My friend jumped me and it started right up. I let the car idle for about 20 minutes then shut it off. Came back to the car about 30 minutes later, tried starting it and it wouldn't even attempt to turn over, get the same rapid clicking noise from the glovebox.

Is this the battery? Starter? Alternator? Starter solenoid?

If I get it jumped before I leave for work will the car make it back home if I live 25 miles away?

-- Motorcycle Crew #35 --
PackerManDan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
XG624
VQ35HR :love:

Sounds like the battery to me. I wouldn't risk driving 25 miles on it.

296.x/285.x
XG624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
RHCP0801

100% battery, change it. Yes you will make it home but if you shut it off and try to restart it, it wont start
RHCP0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
PackerManDan35
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG624 View Post
Sounds like the battery to me. I wouldn't risk driving 25 miles on it.
Thank you both for the responses. Quick question though, if it truly is the battery then why wouldn't you risk driving home on it? I was under the impression that once I get jumped via jumper cables and the car is running...it will continue to run until I shut it off, so why would you not risk driving home if it's just the battery?

My friend said if it is a bad alternator I should not drive home because then the car is just running off of battery power and could shut down but if it's just the battery then it's fine.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
RHCP0801

your friend is correct and so are you, ignore XG624. You will make it home fine
RHCP0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
PackerManDan35
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP-AMP View Post
Thank you. Glad to know it's just the battery. Much less of a headache than if it was a bad starter, alternator, etc....

Cute dog by the way.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
XG624
VQ35HR :love:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerManDan35 View Post
Thank you both for the responses. Quick question though, if it truly is the battery then why wouldn't you risk driving home on it? I was under the impression that once I get jumped via jumper cables and the car is running...it will continue to run until I shut it off, so why would you not risk driving home if it's just the battery?

My friend said if it is a bad alternator I should not drive home because then the car is just running off of battery power and could shut down but if it's just the battery then it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP-AMP View Post
Will you be fine to drive it that distance on a jump? Most likely. Would I do it? No, that is why I said I would not take the chance, not that everyone should follow suit.

OP you're welcome for the feedback, best of luck to you and yes getting a new battery is definitely the best case scenario here. I went through the same symptoms 3 years ago and solved it by simply replacing the battery.

296.x/285.x
XG624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
lilbabykenny

Bro just get a battery... This thread seemed kind of useless as it seemed you already have an idea of what is wrong. Replacing the battery would be the start to diagnosing the problem regardless.

PWP Type S CURRENT BUILD
lilbabykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
PackerManDan35
Master Member

Here is a question for you. I got my friend to jump my car with jumper cables and I drove home (30 minute drive) with no problems at all. When I got home I parked the car and locked it. Usually when I hit my lock button twice the car horn beeps and the brake lights flash. This time there was no beep at all, but the lights still flashed. Doesn't the lack of car horn mean my battery is dead?

If that is true then isn't there a different issue at hand here other than my battery? If my battery is bad then wouldn't it be charged by the alternator on my 30 minute drive home and it should have enough charge to beep my horn when I lock my car? That is why I'm thinking maybe there is another issue at hand here. I can't get a battery until Saturday morning so that is why I'm asking questions so I can get as much info as I can first.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
futat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerManDan35 View Post
Here is a question for you. I got my friend to jump my car with jumper cables and I drove home (30 minute drive) with no problems at all. When I got home I parked the car and locked it. Usually when I hit my lock button twice the car horn beeps and the brake lights flash. This time there was no beep at all, but the lights still flashed. Doesn't the lack of car horn mean my battery is dead?

If that is true then isn't there a different issue at hand here other than my battery? If my battery is bad then wouldn't it be charged by the alternator on my 30 minute drive home and it should have enough charge to beep my horn when I lock my car? That is why I'm thinking maybe there is another issue at hand here. I can't get a battery until Saturday morning so that is why I'm asking questions so I can get as much info as I can first.
if your battery has a dead cell then no it wont keep a charge or take one. just get the battery and be done with it.
futat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
imbest123
Bańned

this is the most moronic thread in the world. first off, you know the battery is bad. secondly, any auto parts store can test your battery if youre that unsure about it.

if your car is jumped then your car will still run correctly, itll just be running strictly off the alternator. this can damage the alternator, depending on the condition of it.

Don't PM me. I don't give a fuck about who you are and no, I don't have nudes
imbest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
STREET ETHNICS

Check your terminal ends where it meets the cables and disconnect them from the posts. Use a terminal end cleaning tool which is a wire brush, clean the posts and the inside of the terminal ends That contact the posts. As far as charging the battery goes, if it has a bad cell and the battery is internally damaged it won't take a charge. Driving on just the alernator "as prior stated" is a bad idea. The alternators job is to replenish the battery as the vehicle uses juice for all accessories. Your alternator is obviously good if you ran the car without the battery's help. Don't drive the car until the battery is replaced or the possible terminal end problem is identified. Do the cheapest things first, which would be to inspect the terminal ends and cables. Then clean em up. lmk what happens.
STREET ETHNICS is offline   Reply With Quote