Wheel bent inwards, hit ditch. - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > SUSPENSION > Suspension, Chassis & Brakes
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Surferman

Surferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Wheel bent inwards, hit ditch.

So I slid into a ditch while loose gravel was on the road, and it bent my wheel inwards like so:
Later after looking at it I found that the endlink and control arm were gone, so I replaced both of them. However, it is still bent inwards a little bit. did I bend a tie rod or somthing? Help! Here's what it looks like now:
Surferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
mallen600
Pancakes

mallen600 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxmallen600 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxmallen600 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxmallen600 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxmallen600 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxmallen600 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Take it to an alignment shop. You camber is wayyyy off.
TN CREW #6
ABP Crew Member #79
Zombie Eradication Team #68
BB Crew
mallen600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Surferman

Surferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSurferman is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yeah i'm afraid something else is bent. I smashed it pretty hard but thought the control arm took most of the force. I don't have a camber kit or anything and i'm just dropped on a 1inch aspec drop. Can they fix the camber that much? I'm afraid to drive to far but the nearest shop is like 30 mins from here. After I try fixing myself I planned on getting a good aligment anyway
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
mikegedge

mikegedge is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
sub-frame damage?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Surferman

Not sure about the subframe, it seams a little bent, I'll take a pic, ordered camber bolts and gonna try the cheap way first
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Lysol
C'mere

Lysol is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I would take a look at that steering knuckle next and the strut afterward.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Surferman

I don't really see any big visual damage to them, I noticed my subframe had a bend in it on passengers side, took a pic, suppose to be like that?
Whole thing
Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
dustin02rsx

dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxdustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxdustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxdustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxdustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxdustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxdustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxdustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
How's the top of the strut mount look from inside the engine bay?

[AEM][APEXi][Tein][JTC][Progress][Kicker]
dustin02rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Surferman

Boot is not ripped, don't remember it being too sideways, will take a pic of it later... I hope its not a bent shock cause I just got the aspec last week

I don't know if camber bolts are gonna fix/help it or not.

Last edited by Surferman; 05-28-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
02DC502DC5
Banned

02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yeah upper strut mount & LCA mounting points on the subframe.. I'd loosen all subframe bolts and play around with it, you might spot something irregular.

Does the other side have more negative camber than normal by chance?
02DC502DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
02DC502DC5
Banned

02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx02DC502DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Oh try taking some pics of the back of hub, by turning the wheels all the way right and taking a pic from the front of the car, and also the same from the back except with wheels turned left.

If it were me I'd take a ton of pictures of all parts of the subframe including mounts so people with a known to be normal car can compare if they've got the drive and goodwill to do so.
02DC502DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Surferman

Any help is much appreciated. I'll even Paypal a few bucks if you can tell me what I need lol. I would drive it to a shop but can't really ride like this..
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
Krucial's RSX
NVuS

Krucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferman View Post
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-57ca-528a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-57dd-dbea.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-57ee-ac72.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-5801-b91c.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-5814-ed34.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-5821-ef92.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-5832-ecd2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-584d-0e01.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-587d-43ed.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-5888-46fd.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-589f-80e6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-58ac-5229.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-58b9-a662.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-58c6-78ff.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc106-58f5-8dc6.jpg
Any help is much appreciated. I'll even Paypal a few bucks if you can tell me what I need lol. I would drive it to a shop but can't really ride like this..
I think i know what your problem is, it looks like you need to replace your passenger side shock. it looks like everything else is okay just that your passenger shock isnt lining up and your camber is definitely off

Last edited by Krucial's RSX; 05-30-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Krucial's RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #14
Surferman

I will try my stock shock next time I go out there and see if that its it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

Zzyzx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
on the strut tower of the damaged side, do the three bolts look parallel or do they point in different directions?

else, your probably looking at frame damage. time for a trip to a body shop regardless

“There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
— Ed Howdershelt
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Surferman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
on the strut tower of the damaged side, do the three bolts look parallel or do they point in different directions?

else, your probably looking at frame damage. time for a trip to a body shop regardless
So you think subframe damage if not the shock? I will look if they are parallel later on, I have access to a subframe to buy. Is it to hard to install? I hope its not the shock cause I don't think you can buy just one aspec shock.

And I wanted to try and fix it myself and then take it to get a good alignment

Last edited by Surferman; 05-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 AM   #17
Krucial's RSX
NVuS

Krucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKrucial's RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
So you think subframe damage if not the shock? I will look if they are parallel later on, I have access to a subframe to buy. Is it to hard to install? I hope its not the shock cause I don't think you can buy just one aspec shock.

Compare both sides(passenger and driver side) and see if the shocks look like they are in the same position and if they aren't then maybe you bent the shock somehow cause honestly everything else looks good to be just that your passenger shock looks like its out of place. Hope this helps man and goodluck with it
Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #18
KSMatic
Sidemarker Mechanic

KSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Your knunkle needs to be replaced. The impact was hard enough to bend the lower ball joint which is why its positive camber. Also if that's not the case, did you order a base control arm by mistake? Type s control arms are longer
2008 BMW M3 6 Speed Convertible Alpine White
2010 BMW M6 7 Speed SMG Alpine White
2003 Acura RSX S 6 Speed Premium White Pearl
KSMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #19
Surferman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMatic View Post
Your knunkle needs to be replaced. The impact was hard enough to bend the lower ball joint which is why its positive camber. Also if that's not the case, did you order a base control arm by mistake? Type s control arms are longer
Alright, I got the control arm used and and said it was for a type s just asked him... Are you sure there is a difference than front base control arms? I'll go ahead and order a knuckle after I figure out that.could a bad knuckle cause that much camber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krucial's RSX View Post
Compare both sides(passenger and driver side) and see if the shocks look like they are in the same position and if they aren't then maybe you bent the shock somehow cause honestly everything else looks good to be just that your passenger shock looks like its out of place. Hope this helps man and goodluck with it
Thanks will do!

Last edited by Surferman; 05-31-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
viccath5

viccath5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
IMO, the knuckle is cast and it is very unlikely that it is bent. The ball joint would come mounted in the LCA and most likely came in the junkyard one that you installed. If the strut was bent, it would either have to be the rod, which would really cause severe drivability probs or the strut mounting and your pics don't show anything although you should look very closely at the strut mounting and make sure. Get it up and take both front wheels off and compare closely to the other side. My bet is the sub frame is bent. Again, compare both sides measuring carefully and you will find it.
viccath5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

Zzyzx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:

with a hit like that the suspension pickup points on the sub frame could easly be shifted/bent. And to swap out the sub frame you have to remove the engine and all that entails...

If the bolts on the shock tower are not parallel, then that means the shock tower has been bulged & would need frame bench time to fix. Check the gaps at the doors, fender, and the hood and see if they are uniform. if not, it may indicate further frame damage.

I know you want to fix this your self, but with a unibody car its way to easy to miss frame damage. I really think you should get it towed to a good body shop.

“There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
— Ed Howdershelt
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Surferman

Thanks guys, yeah gonna start looking for body shops maybe even go to Honda shop if not to expensive? I just noticed something while looking at my pictures, in this pic, look at the bar below the radiator, looks like its bent. Will check for sure tomorrow when I go home.

But what is that bar? Car totaled?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
Krucial's RSX
NVuS

Quote:
Thanks guys, yeah gonna start looking for body shops maybe even go to Honda shop if not to expensive? I just noticed something while looking at my pictures, in this pic, look at the bar below the radiator, looks like its bent. Will check for sure tomorrow when I go home.
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc23b-bdde-9e02.jpg
I think that bar is called the front sub frame but I'm not too sure and don't worry your car isn't close to being totaled so don't think that. I still think it might have to do something with the shock cause I'm pretty sure that pot hole blew your shock. Try to play around with your shock and push the piston down and if your piston doesn't come back up on its own then your shock is blown. And also check if your A-Spec springs aren't broken
Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
KSMatic
Sidemarker Mechanic

KSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxKSMatic is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fbc23b-bdde-9e02.jpg
thats called the radiator support, when you buy it from acura, it comes with that piece and all the front end of it including the top t-support.

I just checked your picture with my computer (was using ipad yesterday to answer your question) It seems that your strut shocks are gone. I can see the two attached points to the knuckle fractured meaning, its bent in some way.

Get that replaced. Also, measure your driver side control arm and passenger side control arm to see if they are the same length. If the passenger (new) is shorter, you have a base.

I replaced a control arm for a customer before, it was base and you can see the same effect by a little bit. We correct the problem with a camber bolt though.
2008 BMW M3 6 Speed Convertible Alpine White
2010 BMW M6 7 Speed SMG Alpine White
2003 Acura RSX S 6 Speed Premium White Pearl
KSMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
DenDC5

DenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
More than likely its the strut assembly. Can't be the steering knuckle looking at the pics. Like mentioned above, remove the strut, and do a visual inspection. Could be that the 3 studs on your top hat are bent or something. Also how is your steering wheel. Turn it so that the A or H (whatever you have) symbol on steering wheel is centered and examine your wheels. Worse to worse comes you might need a new subframe.
DenDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote