How much to rebuild stock 02 Rsx type s motor? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Engine Building & Design
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
JM790

JM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
How much to rebuild stock 02 Rsx type s motor?

How much not including labor is it to rebuild the motor? What kind of parts are needed?
JM790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
mathyou
FS: Vtec Fluid

mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxmathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxmathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxmathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxmathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxmathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxmathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxmathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You'll probably need some duct tape, WD40, maybe some glue.

Nah man, it depends on what exactly is needing to be rebuilt bro. Knowing what's broken will tell you what parts you need to replace and how much labor will be involved.
mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
JM790

JM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxJM790 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
nothings broken, I just have 179k on the motor and i kinda beat on my car and i dont want it to blow
JM790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
aldrine

aldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
if its not borken..dont fix it...
once it blows... get a k24...
rebuilding a 179k motor.. you might as well get a new engine..
aldrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Tacticsv
United

Tacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTacticsv is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldrine View Post
rebuilding a 179k motor.. you might as well get a new engine..
Care to elaborate on your reasoning behind that?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
aldrine

aldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxaldrine is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticsv View Post
Care to elaborate on your reasoning behind that?
the money and labour.. itll be easier to drop an engine... unless the rebuild is very minor... but once you open it.. its less of a headache to drop a motor...
my 2 cents cause i dont have all the tools and etc..
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Rattlehead7291

Rattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
lol im at like 140k and i beat on it.... I've always assumed I'll just get a different engine when it "blows"... seems like a pretty vague term though...

I wouldnt want a k24...yeah it has more torque or whatever but so does a ford explorer..i like a higher rev limit

Can you buy a brand new k20a2?... it sketches me out buying a used engine online

Last edited by Rattlehead7291; 06-14-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Rattlehead7291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
DenDC5

DenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxDenDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
In my opinion not worth it at all. Are you taking the motor out and back in? Or are you going to pay someone to do all the labor? If the motor is still running, start saving up and looking for a decent k20a2/k24 with low mileage, and a transmission along with it.
DenDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
aldrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead7291 View Post
lol im at like 140k and i beat on it.... I've always assumed I'll just get a different engine when it "blows"... seems like a pretty vague term though...

I wouldnt want a k24...yeah it has more torque or whatever but so does a ford explorer..i like a higher rev limit

Can you buy a brand new k20a2?... it sketches me out buying a used engine online
buying a used or new k20a2/k20 ... is almost 1.5x than a new or used k24... and i know what you mean by revving higher...you dont need to with the k24 and even if u do.. you can still take it up high as 7800...or swap the oil pump and rev as high as ur k20a2.. just saying...
if ur ballin then yea grab a k20a
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
Rattlehead7291

Rattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxRattlehead7291 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
buying a used or new k20a2/k20 ... is almost 1.5x than a new or used k24... and i know what you mean by revving higher...you dont need to with the k24 and even if u do.. you can still take it up high as 7800...or swap the oil pump and rev as high as ur k20a2.. just saying...
if ur ballin then yea grab a k20a
lmao im not ballin..what about the k20z1 or k20z3 or whatever?...i havent really heard of that being done...but why?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
aldrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead7291 View Post
lmao im not ballin..what about the k20z1 or k20z3 or whatever?...i havent really heard of that being done...but why?
alot of people do that swap..they just dont annonce it as much cause its basically the same engine as k20a2...

if your engine is fine now... and you've been beating on it... dont change a thing just keep up with your maintenance...unless you can do your own labour then yea its worth rebuilding it... otherwise in the future just drop a new engine a little less of a headache...
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
Rattlehead7291

Quote:
alot of people do that swap..they just dont annonce it as much cause its basically the same engine as k20a2...

if your engine is fine now... and you've been beating on it... dont change a thing just keep up with your maintenance...unless you can do your own labour then yea its worth rebuilding it... otherwise in the future just drop a new engine a little less of a headache...
yeah but i assume you can get them new or easier to find with low miles etc etc
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
jgnlz87
YOSOLO Tuned.

jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxjgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxjgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxjgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxjgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxjgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxjgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxjgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Its cheaper, easier and less time consuming to buy a motor and swap it than it is to build a motor but it all depends on what you're expecting from your power plant. I myself plan to run my k20a2 to the ground untill honda comes out with something more powerful and efficient. Hopefully by then K24's or > will be the standard. The 2012 honda Civic Si K24's looks promissing with its 6 speed LSD tranny

Last edited by jgnlz87; 06-21-2012 at 04:44 PM.
jgnlz87 is offline   Reply With Quote