New Member and Potential New Owner [Archive] - Club RSX Message Board

: New Member and Potential New Owner

Suckabusta
07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, new to this forum and the world of rsxs. Ive been saving recently for a funner, sportier car, and the rsx type - s has definitely got my attention.

Its going to be my first manual car and I will use it as a daily driver. I did have a few questions though, that maybe you guys can help with.

1) is this a good car to get used to a manual trans with?

2) My roomate just bought a stock 04 g35 coupe. Will a type-s with a few mods keep up?

I know I sound like a total amateur (I am) but I would appreciate any experienced rsx owners opinion or thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advanced guys! This forum looks super helpful, I cant wait to be a part of the rsx community!

dan_nguyen
07-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Welcome. I can't help you with your second question, but to address the first: while the transmission (6 speed in particular) can be a bit finnicky, it's best if you test drive the car before you buy. I bought my RSX used and had no issues with the tranny whatsoever. However I've also known people who had bad luck with the 2nd/3rd gear grind (very common apparently).

Agent Smith
07-31-2014, 07:31 PM
being a good car to get used to a manual in is a matter of perception, but i think it's great. i grew up on american cars with cable clutches and clunky gear boxes, so the type s was amazing to me. the shifting feels good compared to a lot of cars, outside of some having 2nd grinding or third popping out issues like dan mentioned, which there is a tsb for and acura will fix it.

as far as keeping up with a g35, it depends on what exactly you're doing. technical road course type driving it's harder and will take more money/parts. 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile, it's not going to be a like a rwd car, but with bolt ons and reflash/kpro you can run similar times.

Extra Krispy
08-02-2014, 04:31 PM
I think it is a great car and I never had an issue with the transmission even after 198,000 miles and tons of time at the track.
As for keeping up with a g35 it can be done with simple bolt ons