OEM Side Skirt Installation [Archive] - Club RSX Message Board

: OEM Side Skirt Installation

StreetLiquid
04-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I was installing my OEM Side Skirts today that I purchased off someone. Now I was reading the instructions and it says to

"Attach the left strake to the side under spoiler using the three self tapping screws"

I am pretty sure that he forgot to ship this part, could someone that has an OEM kit please explain to me what this part is and if possible take a picture. I installed it without the strake's and noticed the skirts are not securely tighten near the rear of that car..

PhuMasterFunk
04-02-2005, 09:35 PM
they are these 2 black plastic pieces
theres a pic of them in here
http://performance.clubrsx.com/instructions/sideunderspoiler.pdf

StreetLiquid
04-02-2005, 09:41 PM
they are these 2 black plastic pieces
theres a pic of them in here
http://performance.clubrsx.com/instructions/sideunderspoiler.pdf

Thanks man, I defiantly don't have those pieces, I am guessing thatís why its so lose.

PhuMasterFunk
04-02-2005, 09:43 PM
thats prolly the reason. where did u buy them from??

jjm004
04-02-2005, 09:44 PM
i installed them on my kit but dont really see the point.

ive seen kits installed from the dealership and they dont even use them

StreetLiquid
04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Also any idea where I can pick up some clip nuts and spring nuts?

StreetLiquid
04-02-2005, 09:46 PM
thats prolly the reason. where did u buy them from??

I bought it used.

StreetLiquid
04-02-2005, 09:48 PM
i installed them on my kit but dont really see the point.

ive seen kits installed from the dealership and they dont even use them

So if you don't use them then you just don't screw them into anything?

StreetLiquid
04-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Do you guys think that Acura will sell me some of the parts, I am missing a bunch of flag nuts, clip nuts and some screws. I went to Home Depot and they didn't have anything near what I needed so I hope Acura will sell me the separate.

n8236
04-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Today I ran into a similiar problem. I'm gonna go my local Acura dealer and pick up the l/r strakes myself. The fronts screw in fine, the 8 clips on the sides are somewhat secure, but the two rear holes on the skirts connect to nothing w/o the strake.

Also did any of u use the well nuts and washer-bolts? Do they make the skirts more secure?

From what I can see, the strake fills-in an empty space that will secure mainly the rear side of the skirt, so I think it would be wise to use it.

StreetLiquid
04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Today I ran into a similiar problem. I'm gonna go my local Acura dealer and pick up the l/r strakes myself. The fronts screw in fine, the 8 clips on the sides are somewhat secure, but the two rear holes on the skirts connect to nothing w/o the strake.

Also did any of u use the well nuts and washer-bolts? Do they make the skirts more secure?

From what I can see, the strake fills-in an empty space that will secure mainly the rear side of the skirt, so I think it would be wise to use it.

Hey man, you installed your sides exactly the same way as I did. I did not use the well nuts and washer-bolts. I only screwed in the 2 screws at the front and used the 8 plastic clips. The skirts are on securely on the front but they wobble a bit at the back. I have been driving with them like that for about a week. Should be fine but I just picked up some double sided tape that I am going to use.

I went to Acura to buy some flag nuts, clip nuts and some screws. Fucking cost me $100. And I could not get anything that was not used on the stock bumper. Any of the clips that are specially used for the OEM kit they could not get. They told me that I would need to buy the whole kit. So I am pretty sure they won't sell you the strake separate. Let me know how you make out.

n8236
04-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Ya, I was gonna tell u the same thing. I went by Acura the other day and they also told me the strakes aren't sold separately. I looked at the list myself. It only comes w/ the optional sides as the whole package. Damn it, need I need to find someone on this board that has it and won't need it.

But in case I can't get my hands on the strakes, I think will find spots where I can zip tie the thing down. As for double-sided tape. U might run into some trouble if water/rain gets into it, and over time the weather will surely beat the hell out of it.

Oh, and not to mention the current way the sides are on at the moment aren't very safe. Anyone can just steal 'em w/ a screw driver lol.

StreetLiquid
04-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Ya, I was gonna tell u the same thing. I went by Acura the other day and they also told me the strakes aren't sold separately. I looked at the list myself. It only comes w/ the optional sides as the whole package. Damn it, need I need to find someone on this board that has it and won't need it.

But in case I can't get my hands on the strakes, I think will find spots where I can zip tie the thing down. As for double-sided tape. U might run into some trouble if water/rain gets into it, and over time the weather will surely beat the hell out of it.

Oh, and not to mention the current way the sides are on at the moment aren't very safe. Anyone can just steal 'em w/ a screw driver lol.

Its going to be pretty hard to find someone selling the strakes separate. Maybe you could find them online. I hear you about not being very safe. I gotta figure out a way to secure them down. I might drill some holes under and screw them into something. I will check it out tomorrow since itís supposed to be sunny and warm. Let me know if you figure a way to secure these things. Oh man does the OEM kit look sick though!!!! :thumbsup:

Zolutar
04-10-2005, 01:02 PM
I am actually gonna be going to the dealer because I noticed to my suprise one of my strakes have, well...vanished. upon further inspection it apparently had broken off with teltale plastic where it bolts in snapped at the eges. still under warrenty i am curious on how they are gonna handle this myself.
honestly though I checked the sturdiness of the sideskirt and it feels no different. I dont think it will be the end of the world if its gone and irreplaceable.

majestic
04-11-2005, 01:42 AM
i say you guys install those well nuts with the bolts just to make sure.. when installing them, if you cant see under the car, i say you use a mirror to know where the well nuts are because the holes in the side skirts dont give you much play to feel for where the bolts are supposed to go.

Takumi
04-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Becareful not to push the well nuts up into the body of the car. The rubber flexes pretty easily and you can easily push the entire nut into there and never see it again. Screw the bolt into the well nut a little bit first, before you use force to tighten it.
I lost two of them in there :(

majestic
04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
the well nuts that attach to the strake doesnt stay in for me. the hole that its supposed to go into is too big for the well nut for some reason and it keeps popping out. i still have the screws in the front fenderwell, the 8 clips, and the 3 well nuts holding it up.. you think the well nut for the strake matters?

aresects
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
same here, the wheel nut for the strake pops out of the hole pretty easily, unlike the others.

Then again I didn't drill a hole for the second-to-last wheel nut. Did you? that may make it a bit m ore secure.

majestic
04-14-2005, 12:30 PM
same here, the wheel nut for the strake pops out of the hole pretty easily, unlike the others.

Then again I didn't drill a hole for the second-to-last wheel nut. Did you? that may make it a bit m ore secure.
i didnt drill the hole either.. im bout to just take out the strake :dontknow:

thorin
04-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I have the exact same problem.. bought the kit used, didn't notice the missing strakes :/ ... also missing the three brackets on the inside of the skirts.

I thought about fabbing them all up with sheet aluminium. That's gonna be a hassle, because I dont have a sheet metal workshop.

anyone ever have any success tracking the strakes down.?

n8236
04-23-2006, 05:08 AM
I have been driving w/o the strakes eversince and haven't had any problems w/ them falling off. Just make sure the screws for the front and rear are nice a tight. It does feel a bit flimsy when you wiggle it, but it's actually quite secure since it's light.

Strakes are not avail unless bought w/ the whole bodykit or side skirts :(

2k2DC5
05-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I just bought some from a dealer on ebay, and it didn't come with the hardware kit. I called the guy up, and he said that it should have them, but it would be a pain to get them and offered me $50 refund to figure it out myself. So I took it

I have the strakes, you can go get screws for those at the hardware store easily, just bring the metal clip from the strake into the hardware store and match it up to a self tapping screw that fits somewhat tightly. The correct screws I believe are the same screws as for the fender well splash guard trim.

As for the well nuts, I went to Ace Hardware and found some that are a little too big, but they had smaller ones, I just didnt have the car there to match it up. Even if I can get smaller ones that fit tightly I can make these bigger ones work by trimming up the rubber a little bit.

It's nice to get all the bolts in there so that it's very secure, but as with a lot of stuff Acura tends to over fasten things with extra clips, the skirts seem pretty tight but if you aren't going to use the well nuts I recommend taking off the metal brackets that attack the skirt to the car. When they shake the metal will scrap bracket will chew up the car.

I have the dealer instructions if anybody needs them.

StreetLiquid
05-05-2007, 02:23 PM
^Good info, for any with the same issue.

If I was not on my 2nd RSX this would of been helpful. :) Got my OEM A-spec Kit from the dealer for $410CAD (Sides, Front, Rear) with all hardcore, makes it much more easy. lol