Need help with an error code [Archive] - Club RSX Message Board

: Need help with an error code

K20a2Javi
04-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Code 57-3 DTC P0341 Description Variable vavle Timing (VTC) phase gap

can someone pls help me this happen after i installed the IPS k2 cams ebaich springs and retainers and now im getting this code and a valve is ticking

rensoyka
04-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Most likely you either re-installed the VTC actuator incorrectly or it's toast, or the VTC solenoid valve is clogged (filter screen) or the solenoid valve is toast. Either re-check your installation, or clean or replace the solenoid valve, or replace the actuator. The only other thing mentioned is that the timing chain is loose (tensioner problem) or damaged.

nathandarby67
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I think I am having a problem with my VTC solenoid as well...getting p0341 code. I know one of the things I need to check is the VTC solenoid, but where exactly is this part located?

jannzyg22
08-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I am also getting this code, I just put in the Skunk2 valve train??
Any luck??

rensoyka
08-20-2007, 09:42 AM
This code only seems to be coming up for people who have had cams installed. I would guess that if the install of the camshafts onto the cam gears went okay, then the most likely cause is that the valve timing is slightly off. It can be very frustrating to get the chain in exactly the correct position, it doesn't need to be off much to cause an error. It's difficult to get a good line of sight to check the alignment unless the engine is out of the car. I fought with mine for almost 2 hours to get it exact. If that's not it, it has to be an installation error in there somewhere.

swordcrowned
08-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, the most common cause of this code is improper timing. There are marks on the timing chains...three of the links are black(it can be hard to see sometimes.) Tear it down and make sure the black links are lining up with the timing marks. And before anyone says that the car would barely run if the timing was off, on these cars it will run just fine, just throw a p0341 code.

jannzyg22
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah, the most common cause of this code is improper timing. There are marks on the timing chains...three of the links are black(it can be hard to see sometimes.) Tear it down and make sure the black links are lining up with the timing marks. And before anyone says that the car would barely run if the timing was off, on these cars it will run just fine, just throw a p0341 code.

I only had the valve train and springs switched to Skunk2, cams will have to wait.
But everything was done while the motor was on the car, the head was removed and sent to machine shop. I think the guy rushed the job and might of put the chain slightly off, I'm hope this is the case. But where is the VTC that might be clogged? Hopefully I will be taking the car to another shop with a guy that really knows his stuff on K series. But is it safe to be driving the car like this??? The car sames like it wants to turn off, so I have to keep giving it gas. And the motor shakes alot. Is it safe to drive?

rensoyka
08-21-2007, 03:48 AM
If the motor runs that poorly, I wouldn't drive it any further than to the garage.

swordcrowned
08-21-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree with Ren. If it runs like crap, you dont want to drive it. The VTC actuators is on the end of the camshafts. Pull the valve cover off and you cant miss it.

Davanca
03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I see in the hondata software, there is an option to disable this code. Im just wondering if with the newest update to hondata requires you to check this box, if you have performance camshafts.

rensoyka
03-22-2008, 05:21 PM
if you check that box, you will get a warning message that this code came up because your camshafts are out of phase---do not check this box unless you have misaligned them on purpose.

foxman
08-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I just installed stage 2 cams and I pulled the code. When I set the timing I checked the the marks on the cams and they lined up. After the first turn the black links didn't line up but according to the books they dont have to, as long as the timing marks continue to line up on the cams.

Have you guys had any luck with your?

rensoyka
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
the hardest part is making sure that the crank is exactly at TDC, only then do the timing marks on the cam gears matter. If you are getting the code and it won't clear, then the timing is off a bit.