Can't chirp a tire anymore, misshift coming back to haunt me? [Archive] - Club RSX Message Board

: Can't chirp a tire anymore, misshift coming back to haunt me?

kenton
05-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I never really beat on my car, at least from 1st gear on so I dunno if this is normal, but it wouldn't have been a couple of weeks ago.

Today dad and I go for a drive and as I leave a parking lot I rip 1st gear and shift into 2nd at redline. No chirp of the tires.

I was thinking about it earlier, so I go out by myself and I can't chirp a tire between shifts either, with no one in the car.

I possibily misshifted about 6 weeks ago, but did a compression test the next day and it came back fine. I did it twice and both had constant results. The variation wasn't larger than 8psi I believe.

I know a misshift can cause a bent valve, but not throw a CEL, not cause any weird noises, but you lose power until eventually your motor blows up. Example would be that red 05 Type-S that guy owns and he just blew up the engine in it. His dealership is giving him a new engine but I dunno if mine would do that for me.

I'm suppose to order my KPRO tomorrow (which, Marcus, if you're reading this I still am) but I'm just worried as fuck my engine is about to fail or something.

I can't chirp a tire anymore from 1st to 2nd at redline which has me worried. Makes me think I have a massive loss of power

FWD HERO
05-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Chirping the tire isnt good, you are loosing traction between shifts...why would you want that? Maybe you are getting better at driving the car. If everything is checking out ok, then dont worry about it.

Pyro~type-s
05-07-2006, 09:58 PM
maybe just your tires? i remember i use to be able chirp 1 to 2nd sometimes 3rd but that was with the shity stock michellin's.......ive got some azenis now, i hardly chirp.......which is a good thing cause your not coming off the ground meaning more power to your wheels.....

?uestion
05-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I never really beat on my car, at least from 1st gear on so I dunno if this is normal, but it wouldn't have been a couple of weeks ago.

Today dad and I go for a drive and as I leave a parking lot I rip 1st gear and shift into 2nd at redline. No chirp of the tires.

I was thinking about it earlier, so I go out by myself and I can't chirp a tire between shifts either, with no one in the car.

I possibily misshifted about 6 weeks ago, but did a compression test the next day and it came back fine. I did it twice and both had constant results. The variation wasn't larger than 8psi I believe.

I know a misshift can cause a bent valve, but not throw a CEL, not cause any weird noises, but you lose power until eventually your motor blows up. Example would be that red 05 Type-S that guy owns and he just blew up the engine in it. His dealership is giving him a new engine but I dunno if mine would do that for me.

I'm suppose to order my KPRO tomorrow (which, Marcus, if you're reading this I still am) but I'm just worried as fuck my engine is about to fail or something.

I can't chirp a tire anymore from 1st to 2nd at redline which has me worried. Makes me think I have a massive loss of power

your clutch hs seen better days. i used to chirp 4th and 3rd, but I have done it so much that the clutch gives now.

kenton
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM
So my clutch might be wearing out? wtf

Like I said, I rarely beat the piss out of it in 1st gear. I only have 17,000 miles, but YES I did misshift and YES I did a compression test.

I also noticed if I put a dollar bill in my exhaust sometimes it shoots right now and sometimes it rattles around inside. Could that be attributed to my TODA downturned tip

kenton
05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Should I go to the dealer and get them to look at my valves?

What do they usually charge for looking at them?

VTEC_Inside
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Tire pressures/temps, ambient temp, and road surface have a lot to do with it as well..

I'm bone stock except for a V2. On certain roads I break traction all the way through 1st, quite literally have to feather it all the way (pos MXV4s). Other roads it just hauls ass.

kenton
05-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Well, Re: Misshift. Should I go ahead and hit the dealer up to check out my valves?

Keith DC5
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Maybe it's just your tires getting balder and gripping the road more. Ghetto slicks :D

kenton
05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Heheh. Thanks for all the responses guys.

But serious, I'm ordering my KPRO tomorrow and getting tuned in a couple three weeks.

Should I see if I've overreved and need a couple new valves?

PsykotiK
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
no your fine.. quit being paranoid

The-S
05-07-2006, 11:20 PM
wish all i got was a chirp....at least it's a nice little chirp going into third...instead of the horrible 1-2 shift, lol.

Leek
05-08-2006, 12:01 AM
i use to chirp too. don't anymore. why does every care about the chirp so much. you chirp because your tire dosent have traction

kenton
05-08-2006, 12:13 AM
I think I'm going to call the Honda dealer and see if they'll hook it up to their computer and see maximum RPM.

If there wasn't an overrev, then there's no reason to take it to Acura and get my warranty bitchslapped.

Dave324
05-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Don't worry I can't really get a chirp either, I get a little noise but nothing you can classify as a chirp, more like a slip lol. But as someone else stated if you don't chirp that's good.

cstrike
05-08-2006, 09:44 AM
your clutch hs seen better days. i used to chirp 4th and 3rd, but I have done it so much that the clutch gives now.

i call fuckin BS! yeah i chirp 6th when its cold out side.

to the threadstarter if you have the stock michelin tires and cant spin through second you have problems.

Se7eN_RSX
05-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Kenton, if you had a bent valve, man you'd know, the car would run differently, i promise it would, take it out and rev it out shift to shift, see ho wit pulls, if the V tech kicks in properly and you arrent getting any odd vibrations or the motor isnt making any noise, call it a day and dont worry.

guys correct meif i am wrong here, but a bent valve should be absolutely noticeable.

Se7eN_RSX
05-08-2006, 09:46 AM
chirping into 3rd and fourth? 3rd ok, if you have some work done to your car, but fourth? C'mon man. but hey it could be true i guess.

kenton
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Well. I went out this morning and I went WOT @ 3K in 1st and spun through first and spun into 2nd. The road I was on yesterday was really dusty and the road I was on today is freshly paved and smooth.

I did call the dealer and it's $90 to hook it up to the computer. I said I'd be there at 2PM but I dunno if I want to go.

kenton
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I was at a redlight on my way home from class and I decided to gun it in first. I lost all traction in first (haha) and then chirped second as expected.

Now I kinda wanna say F the dealer and not go pay $90.

msantas
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
when i first got my car it would chirp all the time from 1st to 2nd gear. however after a while it happened less and less. finally my clutch went out and i had to replace it. as soon as i did i was blowing tire away from 1st to second gear. its possible your clutch is getting a bit worn if you notice less and less traction issues and you still have the same tires.

coolguy
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
READ MY MISSHIFT FAQ!!!!!

Before yuo get confident, do a leakdown... my compression numbers were misleadingly opptimistic, my leakdown results painted a VERY different picture.

kenton
05-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Well, I went to the dealer today and told them it might've been misshifted.

The service guy drove the car and said that there would be a CEL and/or other problems. He said the clutch may've taken the brunt of it and believed damage would occur to either the clutch or gearbox before the valves.

Anyways, he drove it and he said it was fine. They didn't hook it up to the diagnostic machine because he said it was going to be an unnecessary charge (they wanted $89+tax for upto 1 hour of work). He didn't press the issue of anything being damaged or upset and didn't think my case needed further investigation.

:dontknow:

minouuupak
05-08-2006, 09:49 PM
lol you're really freakin paranoid about this issue..damn...RELAX!

VTEC_Inside
05-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Nailed mine today from a standstill, squealing all the way through first and broke loose into 2nd, tires actually started spining and the car was sliding to the right.. lol....

That kinda stuff is the only reason I like the stock tires. Sucks when your actually trying to take off, but wonderful entertainment other times.

giorgakis02
05-08-2006, 10:30 PM
i know when i got my ingalls td i didnt really hear the chirp anymore you just get pure wheel spin and caint really hear the chirp so dont worry about it.

kenton
05-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah I have the TD too. I was able to chirp the tires a couple of times today, I think it's road dependent

My front tires have less tread than the rears, I'll rotate them next oil change.

Se7eN_RSX
05-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Nailed mine today from a standstill, squealing all the way through first and broke loose into 2nd, tires actually started spining and the car was sliding to the right.. lol....

That kinda stuff is the only reason I like the stock tires. Sucks when your actually trying to take off, but wonderful entertainment other times.

hahahaha Mine does that too

kenton
05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Went out this morning and chirped them 2 or 3 times, I can't remember. Whatever, my success rate was 100% lol.

I chalk it up to paranoia, worn tires and dusty roads.

RSX-Slow
05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I have ingalls TD and ESMM inserts, and I can't chirp gears. But when a friend drove it he was able to.

satinsilverk20a2
05-16-2006, 09:41 PM
everoyne loves the chirp cuz it sounds so sweet :)

NYspeedjunkie
05-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Chirping depends on the driver as well.

sifrx
05-16-2006, 10:46 PM
yea I used to chirp into 2nd and I sware 3rd one time but now I usually don't hear ne chirps nemore, maybe I changed driving styles?

satinsilverk20a2
05-16-2006, 10:48 PM
depends on tires, i can chirp all the time now if i shift quickly around 7500 in 2nd. never could with my old tires tho

Hotniks
05-16-2006, 10:59 PM
It's just your clutch getting warm...when the stock clutch gets warm it will give just a tiny bit of slip when it gets hot. You wouldn't notice it otherwise but since you are not "chirping" it's noticable. I wouldn't sweat it. I have an 06 and sometimes I get tire hop when I shift into second, sometimes it doesn't break traction at all. I did notice however that when I drive the car harder, after a while I noticed the same thing as you, but again it's because of my earlier answer. When you drive hard the drive train also takes on unwanted heat.

Rsxtypes209
05-16-2006, 11:14 PM
sometimes i chirp 1st-2nd shifting at 3500-4000 not really pressing the gas hard but i think it sounds so cool when tires chirp but it dosent make my car go faster . your car is probably fine your just thinking on it to hard maybe nothings wrong maybe its u?? lol

?uestion
05-16-2006, 11:30 PM
i call fuckin BS! yeah i chirp 6th when its cold out side.

to the threadstarter if you have the stock michelin tires and cant spin through second you have problems.

shitty winter tires FTL

zero357
05-16-2006, 11:32 PM
chirping into 3rd and fourth? 3rd ok, if you have some work done to your car, but fourth? C'mon man. but hey it could be true i guess.

nah...dont really need much work done to chirp 3rd. ive done it a few times and all i have is injen cai. like others have said, it just depends on road conditions and weather.

TypeS.
05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Racing my buddy I chirped 4th on the stock Michelins... haha swear to god. He was like.. haha you squeeled on 4th!!!

I was powershifting though.

RSXWOT
05-17-2006, 06:41 PM
chirping the tires has so many things to do with it, road surface, tires, how grippy the clutch is and at what stage in its life its at, whp etc. when i had a Spec stage 3 clutch (6 puck) it would do the triple chirp from 1st to 2nd, and then the single chirp from 2nd to 3rd and when it was still new, while driving in 4th I could rev up the engine and drop the clutch at 50mph and at would grip and chirp. then over time the 2nd to 3rd disappeared but 1st to 2nd never has with any of my 3 clutches:D anyway, nice to hear the acura tech said it was cool, you did seem a little paranoid, but clutches loose surface area on almost every shift, how aggressive it is determines how much or little.

GotSpoon?
12-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Mine still chirps and spins first and second. but tonight i couldnt get it to chirp 3rd. it alllways would chirp 3rd. bugs me its about 40 degress here, i was on a fresh paved road, i have NEO gen nitto tires, they got about 20,000 miles on them. , i even revved the car up to about 6 grand while doing 20mph and dropped it in 3rd. and it didnt even chirp a bit. and yea all this is on the stock cluttch car has 60,000 miles. hopefully its a tire factor or weather issue. but i dont know..........