3rd Gear Grind [Archive] - Club RSX Message Board

: 3rd Gear Grind

theycallmebutter
08-15-2006, 09:11 AM
It seems like no one has post this lately. I have an 05 Type-S and I am still getting 3rd gear grind, or not getting all the way in every once in a while.

You guys still have that problem? Any fix?

Leonard1818
08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/search.php?searchid=3964613

Scud
08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Leonard was trying to tell you to search. It is a common issue with our trannies. There was once upon a time a service bulletin from Acura about it. If you can recreate the problem with a tech they will replace the 5th/6th synchros which i guess are messing up the timing with the lower gears. It was posted in the forums a long time ago, no idea where it's floated off to now.

BLUE RSX-S
08-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Leonard,

Your link does not work !!

Try this one.... http://forums.clubrsx.com/search.php?searchid=3965474

Search that covers all the posts about grinding gears...

ticklemedaly
08-15-2006, 08:58 PM
The dealers are comming to the conclusion that the grinding of our gears are "normal". This is due to replacing parts in some peoples trannies and it not making any difference. I believe that the start of this grind problem is due to driver error. I ALSO believe that the quality of the gears/synchros should be able to withstand this minor abuse every once in awhile. I see both POV's here, and know that this repair is a huge job, that warranty doesn't pay jack and shit to do. All I can recommend is go in to the dealer immediately and see if they do anything about it. If they wont, you may have to learn to just be careful when shifting.

theycallmebutter
08-16-2006, 07:40 AM
None of the link works, i am gonna search NHTSA or Acura see if they have a fix.

Meanwhile, I am being careful going into 3rd everytime. It has become a 2nd nature or instinct to me to feel it, it that split second don't feel right, i keep the clutch down and I do this not even thinking about it.

*sigh* I love the car but Honda/Acura has somewhat dropped the ball. They need to step up on their design. They up the Civic SI to the same playing field with RSX-S and with LSD. So maybe it is a good thing they are dropping the RSX after 06 and make something better to replace it. I can only hope.

theycallmebutter
08-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Scud
08-16-2006, 08:18 AM
The dealers are comming to the conclusion that the grinding of our gears are "normal". This is due to replacing parts in some peoples trannies and it not making any difference. I believe that the start of this grind problem is due to driver error. I ALSO believe that the quality of the gears/synchros should be able to withstand this minor abuse every once in awhile. I see both POV's here, and know that this repair is a huge job, that warranty doesn't pay jack and shit to do. All I can recommend is go in to the dealer immediately and see if they do anything about it. If they wont, you may have to learn to just be careful when shifting.

There s definatly a problem, and unfortunatly I think you're right that it has almost been accepted as is.

The start of the problem is not driver error; my girl's brand new 06 Si has the same 3rd gear issues my 03 S has. She is not a novice to manual transmissions and I've encountered it on her car as well. I've learned to be able to feel for it to not engage to prevent grinds as much as possible, but it doesn't mean that's driver error.

The parts for the fix are not expensive, the labor is though. But ya, I think most people have given up on this issue and learned to live with it. I wonder if the ITR tranny has this issue... hmmm

H82LOS3
08-16-2006, 06:51 PM
maybe try n change it to different tranny fluid...............it works for me :)
btw i use royal purple syncromax

Zander416
08-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Shame that it's come down to just accepting it. That's what I've come to. Many of those who've gotten it fixed just come back later complaining it's still there.

Changing the fluid is only a temporary solution or at least it has been for me.
I switched to RP Syncromax and that was great but short lived.
Now I have Amsoil, also great, but short lived. It only feels awesome for a few days then it's back to sqaure one.

I've just said fuck and I deal with it.

Z

H82LOS3
08-16-2006, 08:04 PM
^^^ really?? I havent grind since i changed the tranny fluid sooo i guess im lucky huh

creamyamm
08-16-2006, 10:53 PM
It seems like no one has post this lately. I have an 05 Type-S and I am still getting 3rd gear grind, or not getting all the way in every once in a while.

You guys still have that problem? Any fix?

I have the problem every once in a full moon. Doesn't bother me cuz it doesn't happen often. Also i have ur quote in my sig. :wavey: made me laugh so hard

rollinonrsx
08-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey, i signed up to this website today like 20 min ago and i just read this post and same thing happens to my RSX-S, i have a 02 rsx types and sometimes my 3rd gear goes back to neutral, when i put it in 3rd gear it kicks back to neutral.

rollinonrsx
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Again...like 20 min ago when I was coming back from a store, I was putting it in 3rd gear and that thing was like playing with me..kept going back to neutral (twice).

KiNgOfQuEeNz
08-17-2006, 08:22 PM
i have this notchiness type of feel sometimes when i go into 3rd gear, i dunt know if its considered a grind, it feels like a grind but i dont hear it ?

JayDM-'06
08-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Ive had notchiness and a few grinds w/ second and third and fifth, its definitly a tranny issue, my car only has 3000 miles on it and im not new to stick so... we have to suck it up! Just try to "feel" your shifts more and you can bad off really quick if you feel even the slightest attempt to grind.

trobs29
08-19-2006, 08:11 AM
happens to my 02 type-s also. kick it in 3rd and it slips back into neutral. if the vehicle is still under warranty, will the parts and the labor be covered by it?

cbrooks23453
08-20-2006, 12:06 AM
i have an 2003 and i was ridin with my buddy today and was doin about 30 and shifted from 3rd to 2nd and somthin felt funny so i drove it for about 30 more min and 3rd and 5th were very hard to get into, it took me two tries to get the gear i was going for. now after driving it for the rest of the day I DONT HAVE 1ST, 3RD, OR 5TH GEAR im taking it straight to the dealership tomorrow, TAKE IT STRAIGHT TO THE DEALERSHIP HAVE IT FIXED if you wait any longer then you just might have the same problem i ran into today.....

simon
08-20-2006, 02:30 PM
i have an 2003 and i was ridin with my buddy today and was doin about 30 and shifted from 3rd to 2nd and somthin felt funny so i drove it for about 30 more min and 3rd and 5th were very hard to get into, it took me two tries to get the gear i was going for. now after driving it for the rest of the day I DONT HAVE 1ST, 3RD, OR 5TH GEAR im taking it straight to the dealership tomorrow, TAKE IT STRAIGHT TO THE DEALERSHIP HAVE IT FIXED if you wait any longer then you just might have the same problem i ran into today.....

do you have a cai?

H82LOS3
08-20-2006, 07:34 PM
wow im glad i dont have any grind or gear problems with 02 type s :)

808ster
08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
I got my synchros changed, and also changed my tranny, and still got the grind. And it is not due to driver error. The motherfucker just does it. I guess thats just the way it is.

karebear
08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
got an 02 type-s. grinds in 3rd gear, and i KNOW how to drive. only does it every once in a while. glad to find out someone replaced sync and it still does it though....so I won't waste the money that I don't have right now.
Every car has its quirks, right?

atomicrooster
08-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Try Redline MTL. Worked for me.

Sweetnessinfall
08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
thas juss what she do.
live with it. drive hard. break shit.

H82LOS3
08-21-2006, 12:14 PM
^^^ lol

hamburglar
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
I had the same prob in my 03. Changed the fluid (Genuine Honda) And it went away.

ArWin Dc5
08-22-2006, 03:06 PM
my tranny got rebuild from the dealer few months ago, and it been poping out ever since, now there is no more 3rd gear. took it back and now they are going to replace the whole tranny, and they are not going to tell me what the hell is going on inside. sucks.

theycallmebutter
08-23-2006, 08:34 PM
i am selling mine privately eventually. i am getting a little sick of it although it doesn't really bother me anymore and I just live with it. whatever

solid_psyco
08-25-2006, 12:05 PM
So any luck taking it to the dealer underwarrenty any luck on recreating the problem to show a tech?

tribe
08-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Man... I thought the 3rd gear thing was fixed with the new models ('04 and up). I read they put a CF synchro or something.

I have a '03 with 48K miles and even though it doesn't grind it also doesn't get in right "every time". Sometimes it goes in like butter and others it's like it goes in half way. Allways up-shifting -- not down-shifting

Now I know it's not me because I've been driving stick for 40 YEARS -- from the shittiest 3 gear piece of junk to 16 gear non-synchronized 18 wheelers.

Honda trannies since 1993 with my first Civic VTi (Europe model). Honda trans have always been top shelf!

I read the service paper from Acura and decided not to take my car in for a fix. They have to take so much shit apart to change the synchro that there is about 80% possibilities they'll fuck something-up worse.

Now I read that '05s also have the problem!? What the heck did they change in the gearbox than?

Note: If you press the clutch ALL the way in than 3rd goes in right... but it shouldn't be that way.

Bests

Dc5Will
08-26-2006, 07:04 PM
my tranny was complete shit when i got it. Typical 2nd gear grind and 3rd gear grind + pop out. Flushed out tranny oil and got pennzoil syncromesh and its been almost a year now and not a single problem. Of course theres better tranny fluid you can use.

dcutting9
10-02-2006, 01:34 AM
had an 02 and now an 05...they both will grind if i dont "feel" my way into third gear...really starting to piss me off. i thought it would be gone when i traded in for the new one. im gonna try changing the tranny fluid like a few of u said. if that fixes it i will be sooo happy:)

king kumo
10-02-2006, 09:45 PM
question... i hve 06 type s with 6K mi on it, if i change the oil myself with for example redline mtl, royal purple, etc, will it terminate my warranty?

moobthoj707
10-03-2006, 10:46 AM
i started to notice it more after comptech ss installed.

LastCall
10-03-2006, 11:08 AM
it happens to mine sometime when the tranny is cold.. sometime it pops sometime it grinds...

so i rev high on 2nd then shift right to 4th hahahaha jk

luk2004
10-05-2006, 09:21 PM
My 05S also has the notchy feel going into 3rd. Doesn't matter if its an upshift or downshift. Randomly does it. I shift into 3rd think its engaged and surprise it ain't and gears get grinded. AFter a few times of that happening I have learned to shift a little slower and ensure its in gear before letting the clutch out.

king kumo
10-12-2006, 02:11 AM
fuckin grinded again tonite.. soo loud.. im gonna bring it to the dealer.. see wuts going on.. its pissing me off

blitzout
10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
i have this problem too.., its fucked

FARID CAPONE
10-13-2006, 11:50 PM
i have a 03 type s and i bought it new and it had this problem from the begining

Lovetodrive2000
10-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Had the 3rd gear gind for 52k, dealer replaced the tranny....

Still did it....

Just changed to GM Synchromesh fluid.... and it went away...

What an easy fix, but Acura can't figure that one out....

megood
10-16-2006, 10:07 PM
85k and i still get the 3rd gear issue BUT!!!!

I noticed it happens when my car is cold. Once its warmed up and been driving a bit i seem to never have the problem.

so that makes sense about the tranny fluid switch

SuPER__S
10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
my shyt grind only when I hall ass and go from 2nd to 3rd on redline, that's the only time it grinds. Under redline it doens't do it.. WHY >>>???

myersap93
10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
GM syncromesh solved the problem completely for me

Lovetodrive2000
11-05-2006, 07:12 PM
3rd gear grind..... change your tranny fluid to GM Synchromesh.....

Did mine 2 months ago... and hasn't done it since... used to do it daily!!

Changed my brother-in-law's a month ago.... he has not had it happen since then...

Lovetodrive2000
11-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Had a S2000 get-together today... a few RSX drivers came along...

3 out of 4 had the issue with getting into 3rd gear from time to time....

Told them to switch out the tranny fluid to synchromesh.... I'll post their results!!

Lovetodrive2000
11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Wish Acura was smart enough to take care of the problem.... $20 in fluids... 30 minutes of work... and your done.. end of problem....

And end up with a satisfied customer!!!!

I put up with the dang problem for 100k!!!

Wake up Acura!!

Wondering why your sales are down? d0h!!!!!11

6thgenpimp
11-05-2006, 07:56 PM
what mileage do you guys recommend to change tranny fluid or to just fill it up?

Lovetodrive2000
11-05-2006, 08:00 PM
what mileage do you guys recommend to change tranny fluid or to just fill it up?

Manual calls for something like 5ok miles....

If your having ANY problems.... change it!!

Its cheap and easy to do!!!

inmydream316
11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I have this problem as well..hate miss shifiting and hurting my baby sometimes because of this. I probably gonna change the fluid