mishifted [Archive] - Club RSX Message Board

: mishifted

Dc5Dude
08-23-2006, 10:37 PM
k i mishifted today went from 4 to 2 it rpmed all the way iam scared now cuz its like the 3rd time it happened theres no noise or nothing and runs fine but iam still worried bout it if it keeps happening wuts the worst that can happen to my motor srry for the noob question plz help

jonnyboi
08-23-2006, 10:39 PM
how do you misshift from 4th to 2nd unless you were intentenally trying to downshift???? do you mean 5th to 2nd??

Dc5Dude
08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
nah i didnt see how fast i wuz going so i shifted to 2nd to launch but i wanna know if it keeps happening wut would happen

Rsxtypes209
08-23-2006, 10:49 PM
i call bs lol

Khor
08-23-2006, 10:55 PM
How fast were you going exactly? I've down shifted from 4th to 2nd on a side street at around 30-40mph and have had no problem, put me right near vtech too.

1shot1kill
08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
i'm sure ur fine.. ur motor is still running.. maybe bent valves..but i doubt it

3 time already??? wtf nub

coolguy
08-24-2006, 01:24 AM
OMG... again! You should have a compression test done now! Lookup my misshift FYI: if you bent valves, then one could eventually drop and grenade your motor. I have seen it happen "a week or two after the misshift" several times. Also, if a valve drops, acura will not cover you. Be smart, go get a compression test $50 and leakdown (another $50) at a shop (not autozone or acura)... if things are off, get the head removed and replace the valves... it costs atleast $1200 with labor and parts, but still less then the $5k+ to replace the motor from the dealer... yes, you fucked up, now take care of it!

VTEC_Inside
08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Flood of noobs = Flood of misshifts...

Coincidence? You decide.

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
08-24-2006, 08:10 AM
exactly how fast were u going because i think u would need to be somewhere around 75 for 2nd gear to do damage..possibly faster

VTEC_Inside
08-24-2006, 09:30 AM
2nd gear redlines at about 62-65mph.

08-24-2006, 09:32 AM
2nd gear redlines at about 62-65mph.

yeah so? u can go a good 1500rpms over the rev limiter w/o causing damge i bet. in 05-06's 2nd ends around 58mph. either way i think ud have to get the revs over 10k to damage the engine i think

magnEsium
08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
yeah so? u can go a good 1500rpms over the rev limiter w/o causing damge i bet. in 05-06's 2nd ends around 58mph. either way i think ud have to get the revs over 10k to damage the engine i think

Who the hell told you that one

I bet you hit 9K+ everyday then, yeah?

jared
08-24-2006, 09:38 AM
just misshift a few more times and it will fix itself

08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
the engine is made to rev to 8300(or w/e the 02-04 limiter is..8100?) chances are there is some room for error in there. i mean hondata lets u rev to 8600 with no problems. people who have messed up their engines by misshifting generally went from redline in 3rd back to 2nd which puts u somewhere around 11,000 or 12,000 rpms. hey i mean i wouldnt advise reving to 10k but i bet it would take more then that to mess up ur motor. honda tends to overbuild their engines, when they were testing the b18c5 they held it at 9000rpms for 24 hours w/ no oil in it. but again..just guessing

Cruspeed-RSX
08-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I have never mis-shifted to where it rev's real high like that I have been close but if your thinking you catch the clutch B4 you get there. I'll bet your fine your motor would be losing comp. if you bent a valve which means you would be get MANY more mis-fires per minute and if you are running smooth still don't worry. when you start hearing and feeling more mis-fires then get it checked... if you are still worried go to autozone and get a comp. test kit it is the most simple thing to do and you can save some $ in the future...best tool I have ever bought.

-Derrick

RSXmanz
08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I have misshifted once before but i dident let it go near redline i cought it quickly and hit the clutch. I bounce of the limiter one time tho first gear rmps fly up so fast lol. I loved the sound it made when i het the limiter but i hope i never hear it again:driving: .

If you keep misshifting your gonna blow your motor! Pay more attetion to your driving/shifting mannnnn!!!

nympho
08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
4 to 2, rofl... how in the shit?

rosen
08-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Flood of noobs = Flood of misshifts...

Coincidence? You decide.

:iamwiths:

VTEC_Inside
08-24-2006, 11:03 PM

Well, you didn't seem to sure in your post, so I put up the numbers ok?

Also, depending on your luck, something could let go as early as 9000rpm. If you hit 10k you have most certaintly fucked something up.

jsantos
08-25-2006, 03:46 AM
tsk tsk tsk...you should just know your car overall...

08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Well, you didn't seem to sure in your post, so I put up the numbers ok?

Also, depending on your luck, something could let go as early as 9000rpm. If you hit 10k you have most certaintly fucked something up.

and where did you get that info from exactly

tsk tsk tsk...you should just know your car overall...

yeah pretty much..ive had 2 cars that are notorious for misshifts(celica GT-S, RSX-S)..learned stick on the gt-s...don't get me wrong i threw it into the wrong gear a couple times, but not at any high rpm..just on the highway went for 5th and got 3rd so it went to like 5k maybe..ive never come close to a damaging misshift..people need to be more careful

VTEC_Inside
08-25-2006, 09:19 AM
and where did you get that info from exactly

yeah pretty much..ive had 2 cars that are notorious for misshifts(celica GT-S, RSX-S)..learned stick on the gt-s...don't get me wrong i threw it into the wrong gear a couple times, but not at any high rpm..just on the highway went for 5th and got 3rd so it went to like 5k maybe..ive never come close to a damaging misshift..people need to be more careful

Where did I get the Speed/RPM numbers? Simple I redlined 2nd :)

As for the overrev condition, just read around the board. Some people get far luckier than others. I don't think I've read of one person that hit 10k that didn't blow the thing to bits though. Low 9xxxrpms people seem to get off the best.

The bottom end of a stock K20A2/Z1 isn't really built to handle over 8500rpm on a regular basis. This from Shawn Church of TOV fame. I can't recall if it was the main bearings or rod bearings that become a liability. Something about oiling.

08-25-2006, 09:37 AM
yeah i wasn't asking how u figured out the speed numbers. idk even what ur saying is still an estimate..its hard to really know exactly what rpm u hit unless acura tells u or u have some sort of monitoring system. besides a misshift generally occurs when someone is reving out the gears and tries to shift up really rapidly. redline in 3rd is probably over 10k in 2nd same for 4th to 3rd.

that dude in the old rsx misshift vid went from the end of 3rd back to 2nd and his tach went way past the 9..looked like 11k+..i think its rare that u would misshift and only hit 10k

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/typical+rsx/0/11cd696a-8dee-496e-b0ca-75e34fadc9c6.htm

Dc5Dude
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
k i took it to a mechanic and had it cheked out he said it was all good iam gonna try not to do this shit again thanks 4 yall help

Zander416
08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
I never understood how people mishift. Maybe I will if I do it. I'm honestly not being an ass... I just really don't understand. :dontknow:

To me that seems like a hell of a travel to make it over to second. :dontknow:

I've had it grind plenty of times and just deny me alltogether..... just never hit the wrong gear yet.

Z

08-25-2006, 07:29 PM
noobs miss the gear and keep shoving till it finds another..lol

hail666
08-25-2006, 11:23 PM
got one in the shop over reved at 9500 ,miss fire was the symptom, good compression test and good leakdown test, fun stuff , fun engine to take apart

TyFoxx0608
08-25-2006, 11:39 PM
i might of miss shifted a couple times from 1st to 2nd when i was first getting used to the car. Even on the highway on 6th gear and i downshift to 4th i never hit 2nd. Maybe he should calm down and not get to excited and start slammin down and hope it goes in 4th.

DavidIX
08-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I just overreved my car past 10k, 10,800 to be exact. I dont understand how this could happen to me twice in one night when I've been miss-shift free for quite some time now.

IN my case the shifting points felt off and when I would go to 4rth It would get stuck and pop me into second. Dont ask me how or why, I'm freaking lost myself.

The car runs fine after doing it twice in a car that is boosted at 11-12psi.

Will have the4 car tested for problems here in alittle bit.

Ray Fink1e
08-26-2006, 02:51 PM
just misshift a few more times and it will fix itself

u took the word right outta my mouth.
i misshift my car a few times daily. i love it!!
my car seems to love it to, she pures louder and louder after every time i do it.

BashX
08-26-2006, 05:57 PM
How fast were you going exactly? I've down shifted from 4th to 2nd on a side street at around 30-40mph and have had no problem, put me right near vtech too.

lmao waste of a post

jsantos
08-27-2006, 04:16 AM
...sigh...like i said before, know your car before trying anything you're not too sure about...

08-28-2006, 12:13 AM
i misshifted for 5th to 4th instead of 6th today...i was doing like 145 and then i reved to 10,000...got an extra BURST OF VTAK and ended up at like 180 or 190...it was cool

perhapsnillas
08-28-2006, 01:29 AM
yeah i wasn't asking how u figured out the speed numbers. idk even what ur saying is still an estimate..its hard to really know exactly what rpm u hit unless acura tells u or u have some sort of monitoring system. besides a misshift generally occurs when someone is reving out the gears and tries to shift up really rapidly. redline in 3rd is probably over 10k in 2nd same for 4th to 3rd.

that dude in the old rsx misshift vid went from the end of 3rd back to 2nd and his tach went way past the 9..looked like 11k+..i think its rare that u would misshift and only hit 10k

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/typical+rsx/0/11cd696a-8dee-496e-b0ca-75e34fadc9c6.htm

damn... seriously get over it ... just don't mis shift...

08-28-2006, 09:46 AM
true

HoNeY
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
I cant judge anyone for misshifting as I cant even drive stick. My boyfriend gonna teach me but Im afraid of misshifting, cuz I did it once already from 2 to fifth oops.... at least I didnt stall my first time out of neutral :P

09-01-2006, 01:13 PM
shifting to the wrong gear isnt really the same...its ok to shift to the wrong gear when ur going slow most of the time as long as u dont make a habit of it. its when ur redlining ur car that it matters..dont worry about it, just dont drive too fast b4 u can handle it

KenRed
10-19-2006, 06:31 AM
its a base, not a type S..

DonOfDade
11-06-2006, 12:00 PM
what about trying to shift from 4th to 5th but get stuck in netrual and slam on the gas? would that mess anything up? only hit the rev limiter

o-MiDwEStDC5-o
11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
do yourself and your car a favor and learn how to drive...

magnEsium
11-06-2006, 12:13 PM
what about trying to shift from 4th to 5th but get stuck in netrual and slam on the gas? would that mess anything up? only hit the rev limiter

Happened to me already, damn third gear pop out lol.

All you do is hit the rev limiter.. but luckily for me, I let the gas off and I saw the tach at 8000 rpms.. I think the rev limit is 8300 rpms

DonOfDade
11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
any damage would have happened?

ascendotuum
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
No, not unless you sit there for 30 seconds bouncing off the rev limiter, you'll be fine.

DonOfDade
11-06-2006, 01:00 PM
No, not unless you sit there for 30 seconds bouncing off the rev limiter, you'll be fine.

ok, thanks for the help

Bpayne42587
11-06-2006, 01:07 PM
my car was mishifted by the previous owner, when i rolled it off the lot 2 hrs after i bought it, it started to stall out and i took it back and they said that i had no compression in cylinder 4 due to a bent valve. But acura replaced the entire head for me cost them 5,800 installed went on my warrenty. So basicly check it out and stop mishifting

uNREAL
11-06-2006, 02:18 PM
I have misshifted once before but i dident let it go near redline i cought it quickly and hit the clutch. I bounce of the limiter one time tho first gear rmps fly up so fast lol. I loved the sound it made when i het the limiter but i hope i never hear it again:driving: .

If you keep misshifting your gonna blow your motor! Pay more attetion to your driving/shifting mannnnn!!!

i dont think its hurts the car if u hit rev limiter....not saying go do it on purpose tho lol.............when i first got my car and i was noob i miss shifted but i cought it jus like u said.....

yea i dont c how u even wanted to shift from 4th to 2nd.........wut was ur rpms at when u were in 4th gear.....? b4 u dropped it into 2nd

Nguyen35
11-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Happened to me already, damn third gear pop out lol.

All you do is hit the rev limiter.. but luckily for me, I let the gas off and I saw the tach at 8000 rpms.. I think the rev limit is 8300 rpms

This Happen to mee just like 20 minutes ago! stupid pop out! I changed my my tranny fluid to royal purple MTF and it was gone for awhile! but now its back! :firemad:

drunkenpanda
11-08-2006, 12:21 PM
even the best drivers can mis shift, but to decrease your chances of doing so greatly, try this:

when shifting from 3rd to 4th, grab the shifter backhand so that it can only go to 4th rather than giving it the possibly popping into 2nd.

JPSlick
11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
To thread-starter

its almost impossible to make a post about you making a mistake and not getting flamed for it.....but

as someone recommended before you might want to look into a compression and leak down test to see if yor ok.... Like he said its worth the 100 bucks for peace of mind isnt it? especially if ther eis a problem and the car is still running ok you can prob repair in time before you make ur problems bigger and worse...

I think it would be safe to say ne thing over 9000 RPM is prob gonna cause a problem....(obv those numbers arent concrete) but we all have seen a lot of threads recently about misshifting...

All i can say is be more careful, i havnt (knock on wood) misshifted in this car, but i have in my past car, but i was able to catch it about 1000 RPM above red line so it wasnt as painful as say revving to 11000

i love 4th gear and i can "bang" it harder and faster then any other gear...my 2nd gear is hard to get into as it is, so i would pretty much know right away if i wasnt in 4th when i really wanted to be

someone also mentioned about even the best of us can make mistakes like misshifting so...ive been to two racing schools and i still wouldnt be suprised if 1 day i was tired and wasnt paying attention and misshifted....ish happens

leakypipe86
11-08-2006, 12:36 PM
i misshifted from 6th to 2nd while going 60 mph. the needle hit the rev limiter a couple times before i upshifted and slowed down a bit. think i should get it checked or is it fine? cars running normal...

ronin_asano
11-08-2006, 12:39 PM
k i mishifted today went from 4 to 2 it rpmed all the way iam scared now cuz its like the 3rd time it happened theres no noise or nothing and runs fine but iam still worried bout it if it keeps happening wuts the worst that can happen to my motor srry for the noob question plz help

you need to learn how to drive.

gorgon2k
11-18-2006, 11:35 PM
hate to hijack a forum but im still under 25 posts :mad: , but today i didnt really mis-shift but goin from 3rd-4th i didnt fully engage it into 4th and reved high... dont think it was that high and even for long but does the rev-limiter go into effect in this situation? :confused: and before any1 flames me or calls me a noob, i will conceide and say i am a noob.. just trying to get some help

Dc5Dude
11-18-2006, 11:58 PM
lol u bumped one of my old threads

cbuck
11-19-2006, 12:32 AM
hate to hijack a forum but im still under 25 posts :mad: , but today i didnt really mis-shift but goin from 3rd-4th i didnt fully engage it into 4th and reved high... dont think it was that high and even for long but does the rev-limiter go into effect in this situation? :confused: and before any1 flames me or calls me a noob, i will conceide and say i am a noob.. just trying to get some help

r u drunk?

how does one misshift from 3rd into 4th....

gorgon2k
11-19-2006, 06:05 AM
it wasnt a mis shift, i was shifting from 3rd to 4th, and didnt fully engage

All Mighty
11-19-2006, 06:13 AM
my guess is you didnt have the clutch pedal fully depressed when shifting, thus making a grinding noise. What you did was grind 4th gear not misshift. You will soon learn that second will almost always make that same noise

gorgon2k
11-19-2006, 09:30 AM
my guess is you didnt have the clutch pedal fully depressed when shifting, thus making a grinding noise. What you did was grind 4th gear not misshift. You will soon learn that second will almost always make that same noise

yea i actually have been noticing that.... but would i have done any damage... or just a mistake i should try hard to avoid?

rensoyka
11-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Over-rev happens because the wheels turn the transmission and then the crank faster than it's supposed to go. This assumes that you have the clutch out and the wrong gear chosen for the road speed. If you miss the gear completely and hit the gas, the rev limiter will cut it off at the prescribed limit. The first is a mechanical over-rev, no stopping it. The second is a throttle over-rev, the ECU will stop it.