Rsx Header? [Archive] - Club RSX Message Board

: Rsx Header?

Ericcarver1
01-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Does the DC or any other companys header make power? Also if you go to the products section on this sight, what is the difference between the 3 spoon headers, they all have the same picture. In other words what does the $300 header consist of?

PuertoRicoTypeS
01-03-2003, 12:25 AM
off topic:
how can you have J's racing "trunk tie bar" (rear strut brace), and a mugen rear strut tie bar... do you have all these mods you say you do... If so what up with the conflicting parts, i mean you cant have both...

btw about header, get a comptech race header and risk a CEL, or wait for jackson racing's header that debuted at SEMA... They claim 15whp...

PuertoRicoTypeS
01-03-2003, 12:44 AM
cant get pic of header to work... any suggestions

F1HONDA_RACING
01-03-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by PuertoRicoTypeS
how can you have J's racing "trunk tie bar" (rear strut brace), and a mugen rear strut tie bar... do you have all these mods you say you do... If so what up with the conflicting parts, i mean you cant have both...

oh really? well, here's how you can have both. :)

http://store.clubrsx.com/graphics/00000001/j_racing_rear_pillar_bar.jpg
This one mounts on the upper pillar.

http://www.jdmhondaparts.com/mugen/mugen_strutbars_1.jpg
This one mounts on the suspension mount points on the floor.

There you have it - both types of bars on one car. I have the D3 upper bar and will be getting the Mugen lower bar one of these days.

PuertoRicoTypeS
01-04-2003, 01:43 AM
So the mugen goes up top and the J's racing goes on the bottom? What is the D3 bar? Dont tell me you have Deez3 bars in your trunk?!?!?! hahahaha

Ericcarver1
01-04-2003, 02:20 PM
J's is in the hatch and the Mugen is behind the rear seat. Neither actually toutches the struts. You could also add a spoon strut tie bar if you like but it is overkill. Yes youu can have all 3 if you like!!!!

Ericcarver1
01-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Oh, and yes I have every single one of these mod's, ask Chris (the owner of this site) I bought them all from him, in the online store.

Ericcarver1
01-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Anyone know the difference between the Three Spoon headers in the online store on this sight?

PuertoRicoTypeS
01-04-2003, 03:55 PM
post a pic of your trunk.... I want to see how this looks... If i was to get one though id probably get one that ties onto the rear strut towers... This is probably where the most flex would occur... I like how the mugen one looks however... Where exactly in the hatch does the J's racing bar go... Does it affect trunk space at all?

Ericcarver1
01-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Ya it kills trunk space (both of them). I would love to post a pic, but I don't have a digital camera or a scanner so I dont know how...Any suggestions??? It looks just like the pic above accept the Mugen stretches right accross the back seats from that view. Hey did you notice anything with the AEM Pullys? Or just a waste of time? HEADERS???? Three Spoons???? Difference?????

PuertoRicoTypeS
01-05-2003, 12:34 AM
the AEM pulleys are more "show" than "go"... i want to get a crank pulley though... That should add at least 5hp... ill either get the UR or the STR, although i heard some guy has the aem pulleys and a custom carbon fiber crank pulley... Sounds like a wicked setup, i want it

Ericcarver1
01-05-2003, 03:22 AM
No you don't, trust me. The crank pulley assists the motor in many different aspects, and 5hp is not worth giving up all that. Stick with what you got and invest in a gasket or flywheel or something.

Eric.

tofu
01-05-2003, 08:41 AM
some of the aussie guys with dc5r have or intending to have the Spoon 4-2-1 header, but they are more interested in the 4-1 header. These guys buy spoon parts all the time :rolleyes:

i don't know much about these headers but i know that 4-1 header is a race header...hence louder and more power gains? :dontknow:

tofu
01-05-2003, 08:42 AM
btw, so where does the Spoon rear strut bars mount to?
i'm getting mind in a few days and i don't even know this...hehehe :laughing:

Black_DC_5
01-05-2003, 12:01 PM
The one says spoon header 4-2-1 means a one peace header.

The other two are two pieces header, if u notice it says spoon header 4-2 and another one says spoon header2-1.

Both are quite the same only one is one pice and another one is two pieces :)

artekadema
01-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Well my ? would be witch header gives the best power gain. The spoon or the comptech race header and is the gains over say DC beneficial for the much higher price.

I-zoom
01-05-2003, 02:31 PM
ptracy26

Who's white type-R ??
:thumbsup:

Ericcarver1
01-06-2003, 02:59 AM
Why is one header $1600 and another is like $300, is it just the part that bolts to the block+the collector? Then you use your stock piping like the DC? Who really really knows what the deal is? Clearly 4-1 gives the higher peak gains but a good 4-2-1 gives the widest torque curve, street racing you probably want the 4-2-1.?.?

Ericcarver1
01-06-2003, 03:02 AM
Or are they saying you would need the 2-1 and the 4-2 at the same time, like when you buy their rear section muffler, then you need to buy the B-pipe "mid section."

Ericcarver1
01-06-2003, 03:17 AM
The Spoon bar ties the strut towers together. When you open the trunk it will be laying flat on the carpet bolted to the struts out of sight. The Cusco and stock DC5 Type-R bar do the same. Great setup. You will love it!

Black_DC_5
01-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Ericcarver1
Or are they saying you would need the 2-1 and the 4-2 at the same time, like when you buy their rear section muffler, then you need to buy the B-pipe "mid section."

That's is true as u might know da JDM R and RSX have different header. If ur car is JDM then u can only buy the 4-2 or 2-1 or both:)

Ericcarver1
01-14-2003, 04:23 AM
Black_DC_5 is your whip JDM? I am not really sure what Honda brings to the land down under. We (In California) will never get any type of JDM setup due to the fact that the smog laws are about the tightest in the world. If you force it, and a Cop sees it, you can get impounded on the spot. Can you guys buy part of this Spoon header over there? I can't, I have to deal with Two O2 sensors and OBD2 computers...

edo
01-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ptracy26
oh really? well, here's how you can have both. :)

http://store.clubrsx.com/graphics/00000001/j_racing_rear_pillar_bar.jpg
This one mounts on the upper pillar.

http://www.jdmhondaparts.com/mugen/mugen_strutbars_1.jpg
This one mounts on the suspension mount points on the floor.

There you have it - both types of bars on one car. I have the D3 upper bar and will be getting the Mugen lower bar one of these days.

Ryan, the mugen lower rear strut bar looks like it has the same bolt location as the D3 rear bar. I called up JHP and the way they described mounting location, seems to be the same as the D3?

-Ron

RsxVengeance
01-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by I-zoom
ptracy26

Who's white type-R ??
:thumbsup:

that's not a real type R.

Ericcarver1
01-30-2003, 11:09 PM
edo,

Neither of those Mugen Bars are DC5 bars. What car they are from I don't know. The Type-S tie bars are polished, have no hinge relief, and no triangular support. The bar in your picture with the upper and lower tie is either a Spoon or Cusco unit with the J's as the upper.

Z4_LSVTEC
01-31-2003, 06:55 PM
No you don't, trust me. The crank pulley assists the motor in many different aspects, and 5hp is not worth giving up all that. Stick with what you got and invest in a gasket or flywheel or something.

Eric.

THANK YOU! something called harmonic balance!

Ericcarver1
02-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Z4_LSVTEC,

What kind of times are you laying down in your EG (or is it a street situation)? Your smart to stay at 1.8, LS's with the B-20 crank are really unstable. I saw a guy at Import Nights with a 3 inch hole in his block, from running your setup, with the B-20 crank and a ported B-16 head. This is with a built motor, and it happened at only 7500 RPM getting on the highway.

eric.

Z4_LSVTEC
02-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Z4_LSVTEC,

What kind of times are you laying down in your EG (or is it a street situation)? Your smart to stay at 1.8, LS's with the B-20 crank are really unstable. I saw a guy at Import Nights with a 3 inch hole in his block, from running your setup, with the B-20 crank and a ported B-16 head. This is with a built motor, and it happened at only 7500 RPM getting on the highway.

eric.

Well...I;m not sure what you're talking about since...the B20B and B20Z have the same crank as the LS...they all have an 89mm stroke...If you're talking about the B20A in the old school preludes, which is a 95mm crank...then there are some problems with that crank (mostly over time though, since the rod ratio sucks, unless you run a deck plate). A few of my friends are running 2 liters and have no such problems...the are running 85mm bore on LS cranks (89mm stroke). The problem you decsribe could be due to stock rod bolts snapping, which I've seen happen...(cross my fingers since I don't have the ARP ones in my car..)

I haven't been able to take my car to the track since I started making power...and since all of the stupid tracks are closed until later this month...I won't know until then...but i'll post the times ASAP...should be in the nid to high 12s...

SeoulControl
02-03-2003, 02:29 PM
someone clarify the gains of a header, I've read it as low as 2 hp while others claim over 10 hp

Z4_LSVTEC
02-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SeoulControl
someone clarify the gains of a header, I've read it as low as 2 hp while others claim over 10 hp

The most restrictive aspect of the RSX-S exhuast is the 2 catalytic converters. That said, the Comptech race header, which removes the two cats and offers longer primary runners seems to gain the most power. I've heard 15 whp, but I haven't seen it on the dyno. Obviously, the problem here is being able to smog the car legally (at least in CA). If you don't mind changing your header back to stock when you need to smog your car..go for that header....if you want to keep your stock cats....keep the stock header since it seems that a header which just replaces the stock manifold and retains the stock cats doesn't yield much power.

As soon as I have some extra money to spend on my K series, I'll post my dyno numbers. Does anyone else have direct experience with the "race" header or the "non-race" header?

edo
02-04-2003, 10:41 AM
I do. So does peter and a few others here. The comptech race header has been selling feverishly. I would recommend perusing the pages within performance/performance. If you run a search, that will bring you up to speed on published results.

-Ron

ThugLife
02-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Dude why do u lie to kick it fool, i don't even know why ur on the forum, this guy ron don't have all that stuff on his car. I can't believe he has fooled u guys for so long. He doesn't even own an rsx.

The crazy mofo from the town

benca1
02-04-2003, 03:27 PM
Weird post.

But then again with a name like "ThugLife" and an address of east oakland, it's you who has the problem. Of course I would be as bitter as you if I lived in that shithole.

Ericcarver1
02-04-2003, 09:27 PM
ThugLife,

I know you are not talking about me! I'll be visiting some friends at Chico State this Weekend. Let's meet up, it's less than an hour from Oakland. We'll run, and see who has what. Bring money.

ericcarver1@aol.com , To set up a meeting place.

eric.

Ericcarver1
02-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Hello....ThugLife. You don't have the heart to whisper Thuglife, if you think you are speaking about Pac.

GotRiceRSXS
07-15-2003, 11:03 PM
which header gives the best gains? someone please just give a black and white answer. also will the comptech race header work fine with my borla cat-back?

Ericcarver1
07-16-2003, 03:08 AM
COMPTECH = Best gains.
JR = Great top end gains and much cheaper

Comptech owns the JR in the midrange, to the tune of 10+ ft/lbs of tq.