Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Porting the stock exhaust manifold

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  slotype_s02 
#1 ·
I started porting my stock '05-'06 Type-S exhaust manifold. You can see the ridge right inside the flange. I'm using a double cut carbide burr to grind away the ridge. The last three pictures are the result of the grinding work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work. It will help, but one of the big issues with that piece is the merge down at teh collector. They have crimped the primaries so bad there. It is one of the reasons that even the cheap DCRH shows good gains over stock.

#4 ·
Hmm..I didn't know about the restriction in the merge area...I've often especially wondered how they managed to sell shorty headers ( I assume this restriction is not present in aftermarket shorties, let alone long tubes), but given what you've said, it makes sense..

Yeah seems like alot of work for minimal gains. If you've got the time and patience, more power to ya!
Yeah, I have time and sort of enjoy doing it, to be honest...

#6 ·
LOL! Yeah, I'm having fun with it. I went to Lapeer dragway this weekend to get a baseline before I install the exhaust/reflash.

I really didn't think that bases were quite so slow. I ran an average of 16.9s quarter mile with an average 60' of 2.45s, and an average trap speed of 82mph...My Type-S was 14.87s...In defense of the base, it was 90°F, and 70% relative humidity.

So, every little bit helps. Also, last night I took a look at the collector and see that i can improve it a bit with some porting there as well; the seperator can be more "knife edged" and I think I can port the opening a bit...I will post more pics as I progress..

#9 ·
I generally don't deign to respond to what I consider ignorant trash talk, but since you did ask and since this sub-forum is comprised of folks of higher intellectual caliber than most others in this forum, I'll respond for their benefit, if nothing else.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and I perform 1D hydraulic flow analyses for a living. I have looked at a lot of aftermarket designs (and have purchased and installed them as well) and see that if there is any sort of improvement (not always the case), it generally comes with some sort of trade-off (reliability, cost, comfort, NVH, or it simply shifts the peak power to a different point). These are compromises I am not willing to make. I happen to think Honda has some exceptionally good engineering practices, and that to make more power without compromising is to take advantage of the few inefficiencies (mostly due to manufacturing processes) that are present.
Uhhhhhhn he just did you dirty :pimp

#8 · (Edited)
I'm a mechanical engineer, and I perform 1D hydraulic flow analyses for a living. I have looked at a lot of aftermarket designs (and have purchased and installed them as well) and see that if there is any sort of improvement (not always the case), it generally comes with some sort of trade-off (reliability, cost, comfort, NVH, or it simply shifts the peak power to a different point). These are compromises I am not willing to make. I happen to think Honda has some exceptionally good engineering practices, and that to make more power without compromising is to take advantage of the few inefficiencies (mostly due to manufacturing processes) that are present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.