Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Track *Chat* Part III

Tags
iii part track
63K views 656 replies 37 participants last post by  Koopa Troopa 
#1 ·
Continue.

#50 ·
Not a fan of the FD2R? Not saying anything against the DC5 or DB8, but it's another option.

#49 ·
Might be able to swing 245/40/17 in the back without having to roll the quarter panels. Right now the seam is actually hanging over the tires. I have a finger gap between the seam and tire and haven't had any issues with rubbing, and the 245/40 is like 6mm shorter in height than the 225/45. Think I'll do some measuring on Saturday.

#53 ·
#63 ·
Well, after tape measuring and staring at tire size information for about an hour, I'm pretty sure I can get 245/40/17 RS3s on all four corners without having to roll the fenders. The seam for the quarter panels hangs over the rear tires right now, and if I haven't rubbed yet then I doubt I will going with a tire that's slightly shorter in height. It'll be more hella flush in the back than I would care for, but fuck it I guess. I can deal with some hella flushness to gain the ability to rotate tires. I'll be running some 215/45/17 crap tires in the back for gymkhana events anyways.

#65 · (Edited)
If it rubs, I'll just pound the seam flat with my 5lbs dead blow hammer. I gave up on using fender rollers years ago. Spent like three hours pulling the rear panel on my S14 only to fuck up my back and then figure out that I could get the same effect with far less effort with using a BFH.

Also, finally finished tuning this car for the most part. Just gotta get the VTEC part throttle stuffed cleaned up. I'll probably go back through the maps and clean it up a bit later, but the car is now raceable. My Greddy 3-in-1 gauge took a shit on my though. I've been having issues with the oil pressure not working right, but now it just bounces back and forth from 10 bar to 0. Gonna replace it with some 52mm Defi gauges, but I need to sell some stuff to make that happen as I will have spent a lot of money on this car between now and January. Still need to buy tires, rotors, rear pads, need alignment, and I have my inspection coming up in the beginning of January.

#67 · (Edited)
good news! my sister is getting married and my parents wanna buy her a car as a wedding gift, so looks like I'll be getting the RSX back! I'm thinking of turning it into a rallyx car... (autox version of rally, not a global rallycross 600hp awd monster).

basically get softer springs for the fortune auto coilovers on there, raise it up for ground clearance, and some snow tires on 16" wheels... or something

It has 10k/14k springs on it now, initial thought was to move the 10k to the rear and get something softer for the front. but I think the spring is too long..

#70 ·
got some new parts for the Miata :D

with custom spring rates (still waiting on the Swift springs to get here)

#75 ·
haha, pretty much... but after driving a Miata with Ohlins on it, I was sold. Ride quality is on a different scale compared to my Fox setup. Ohlins have about 125lb stiffer front and 50lb softer rear springs. 12k/7k on Ohlins and 550/450 lb/in on Fox.

Although I will say, I like the spring perch design better on the Fox coilovers. The Ohlins use the standard 2 locking rings with the annoying spanner wrenches. Fox uses one ring with an allen head bolt that clamps the ring around the shock body.

#77 ·
They don't bug me enough to actually spend money on it... besides, I don't even know where I'd buy something like that. Pretty sure it's something I'd need to get custom made to have all the right diameters and thread pitch. And that sounds way to expensive

#80 · (Edited)
The thread pitch is typically generic. Get a pitch gauge.

http://www.hypercoils.com/mph/tech-tips/hydraulic-spring-perch-dimensions/
http://www.traxxion.com/Shock-Preload-Collar-Ohlins/
http://store.resuspension.com/product.php?productid=19002
https://www.afcodynapro.com/AFCO/412707502

^ not for your particular shocks, but just using as an example. Just gotta measure your stuff and you'll be able to find something better much easier.

Think in circle track terminology. They're not coilover collars, but threaded shock adjustment nuts, or coilover spring perches, threaded shock perch, coilover adjuster. Stuff like that.

That is one awesome seat. Now that you've had it for awhile, how are you liking it?

#83 ·
I have the cheap version of the WRC, basically the WRC wrapped in cheaper material and doesn't come with a butt pad (which I bought separately. The part that sucks on the street are the side bolsters that are so tall. on the ARS they angle down to the end of the seat, on the WRC/FIRST they stay tall all the way to the end. makes long drives hard cause I can't move my legs around... so I wanna get the ARS cause it'll solve that problem... and it looks a bit nicer :D

#86 ·
I couldn't imagine driving 11 hours in my seat... maybe its a bit easier in the RSX since there's more room in general. its pretty tight in the miata, I can't even squeeze my right leg between the steering wheel and the seat, haha (and yes, it's slightly off center to make room for the belt buckle

#93 ·
Well, I'm back to being broke. Just bought three Defi gauges, 245/40/17 R1Rs, 4 rotors, and rear pads. Still have to Christmas shop, fix my car for the up coming inspection, and renew the inspection. In February I have my kid's birthday and car insurance up for renewal. Why do people like this time of the year again?

Really didn't want to buy the Defis, but if they help me save an engine, then I guess it was worth it. Dude I know just shit an oil pump so now I'm overly paranoid for no reason at all.

#105 ·
speaking of cooking, check out the difference between the exhaust side coilover and intake side

some Ohlins install pics:
I like this little notch on the shaft so I could tighten the nut, too bad only the fronts have it though

and turns out +50 17x10's rub on the actual wheel in the rear...

and here's the spring perch on the Fox setup I was talking about that I like better than the Ohlins setup

#107 · (Edited)
Hoping to hit my second even in January 28-29.
Nothing special here though. I/h/e tune, 10/12k BC racing Coils, Hankook Evo 2 245/40 square, -1.75 degree camber front and -1 degree camber rear. My first ever event was in October and made me realize how much I can't drive. Hope to really improve this next event. Can't wait to get better!

If anyone is interested in the best lap of my first track day.
https://youtu.be/-GJYnJSSRX4
This was on nankangs and racelands. Wasn't the best set up.

If anyone has comments suggestions or advice I'm always open to criticism.
I am also looking to pick up a adjustable rear sway soon and also any other handling mods I can do.
I still have to mess around with my dampening at the next event but from all the reading I've done a lot people suggest I just run the rear full stiff, but even then on my square setup I should still be getting a lot of understeer.

#108 ·
Well you already pointed out your hand shuffling. Just get more seat time. Stiffen up the rear shocks before you get a rear sway bar. BC coils aren't exactly the best track coilovers also, so I wouldn't plan on building the handling of the car around those coilovers (same with those tires). If you do get a rear sway bar and it's adjustable, start on the softest setting first (holes on the outside) and play around from there. Also, did you mess with tire pressure settings? That can also help. In the end with more seat time, you will know what else you want from the car.

#118 · (Edited)
They will be revalved for somewhere around the 14k front 30k rear ballpark (assuming I decide to keep the car and stuff). In other news, I did a hackjob exhaust fab for a dude with the pre TSX body Accord Euro R. I really like the suspension design of those. Kinda tempted to buy an Accord when I move back to the States. Multilink rear, wishbone front, and it has a bolt on rear subframe so you could run a massive rear sway bar without tearing the subframe off the body. Too bad the American 6th gen Accord weighs damn near 3000 pounds.

#119 ·
the RSX is only a couple hundred lb lighter, if that.... and the TSX also has double wishbone front, at least the first gen... wish they woulda put that in the RSX too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.