Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

04 NBP - old but still fresh!

Tags
fresh nbp
7K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  Ssm05k20z1 
#1 · (Edited)
1/5/2020 update! pictures on post #5 first page.

Engine blew 5/4/19 and car has been sitting awhile - getting ready to rebuild the engine now. Will be staying NA. parts list below, feel free to add input. Hoping to be around 300whp when finished - was at 221whp/162tq with stock k20a2 full boltons and tune before.

I have 0 experience pulling/rebuilding engines, so this is all new to me. Learning as I go, so hopefully I can inspire someone to show their old rsx some love!

Also turns out - the engine didn't actually blow - when I got it apart I realized a spark plug had just gotten blown apart. the top tip of it was bouncing around in the head as I could tell, and the bottom piece had dropped into the cylinder, found a small bit in the intake manifold and a small piece stuck to the top of the head by the valves.

Already determined/purchased:
k24a4 block honed to 87.5mm, stock sleeves, stock crankshaft
saenz s series rods
wiseco 12.5:1 pistons
4piston rr4 I believe cams
4piston modified k20 oil pump
4piston adjustable cam gears
4piston flywheel bolts
4piston 156 machined k20 head - ferrea valves, 4piston springs/retainers

to be determined to support the engine as it's built:
insane shafts axles/half shaft
ATI crank pulley
moroso baffled oil pan
mishimoto radiator
mishimoto fans/shroud
fuel pump - want to be able to run e85 in the future still researching
injectors - see above
new header/exhaust for k24 bottom end, looking at ktuned 3" option
intake manifold - still researching
intake - researching
mfactory lsd
tsx 6th gear
4.7 final drive

I'm sure I'm forgetting things - still researching as much as I can as I wait for parts to come in to start assembling the block.

Thanks for checking it out! stick around for more progress as we go! I'm hoping to be ready to track season in the spring

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
slowly building - 07 crew - supreme lurker status :shady:

Intro:

Originally purchased with 28k mi with only aspec lip kit and uninstalled aspec suspension. Sold the suspension to a member here as I was not ready to modify yet.

Have been through a ton with the car, it stayed very close to stock for a long time. Probably never took good enough care of it, but learned a lot of maintenance basics over the years, enjoyed driving it, etc etc.

Eventually I purchased a DD (09 subaru legacy) and began toying with the RSX. Now she is at about 160k miles, and still going strong! I went to my first track events with SCCA this past fall and was hooked. pictures of track days scattered throughout!

Check back as I piece together any and all old photos I have and can find, document some of the car's past, and update things to come. This thing has had a ton of love, and a ton of inspiration from different members of this forum, dating back most prominantly to 2009-2012 ish

Thank you all for looking! And thank you to all the OGs for inspiring - coredump, spaz, cauqazn, jackie, thecolumbian, archull, krisen, dc5bo, so many more!

11 years, 130k miles later...

Mod List

Exterior
-Aspec lip kit - installed before purchase
-redout tails, blackout headlights
-brake ducts (still need to fab up ducting around CAI)
-Aspec OEM high wing

Interior
-05/06 cloth seats, front and rear
-red stitched cloth shift boot
-TSX shift knob
-Type R floor mats
-strut king pedals

Engine
-Injen CAI
-Invidia Q300 exhaust
-Invidia race header
-Innovative 75a motor mounts
-Kpro
-Ktuned CMC and slave cylinder
-Ktuned billet shift box and race spec shift cables

Suspension
-Progress coilovers
-Progress adjustable rear sway
-Cusco front tower bar
-Blackworks lower control arms

Brakes
-TL type S retrofitted front brembos
-Goodridge SS lines
-Stoptech slotted rotors
-Motul RBF600 brake fluid
-Hawk DTC30 brake pads

Wheels
-Enkei RPF1 17x8.5 +30 (clears brembos with no spacer, stock studs, 24mm clearance spoke to caliper)
-Firestone Firehawk 245/40/17
-Project Kics R40 lugs in neo chrome

to be installed
-RBC intake manifold with karcepts TB adapter
-retrofitted projector headlights from RsxRetrofits
-hondata intake manifold gasket

some recent stuff

See less See more
#37 ·

So I posted a whole response a week ago and previewed it but forgot to submit it, so forgive the short response lol :rest

RBC is on, it feels great but it was a pain to get some of the engine bay to fit back how I wanted it. After install, I was able to get tuned by CLM motorsports in NJ, they were fantastic and we got 220whp and 162tq out of it.

I also got down to the compressor and replaced that to have AC for the first time in years, so that is amazing too :vtec:
@pandimus headlights are a custom retrofit by rsx retrofits or vision autoworks, go check out their work. I havn't been able to install yet due to other issues, but can't wait!

#39 · (Edited)
I had some issues with my K tuned slave cylinder leaking at my most recent track day, as well as previous cmc failure within the first year of installation. Decided to switch back to OEM parts - honda em2 cmc with k series slave. Installed, then realized how bad my clutch really was!

I'm at 162k mi on stock clutch, and I knew it was on it's way out. I went to teach my wife how to drive the car, and as I went to show her what stalling out feels like, I realized I can let the clutch pedal out slowly with ZERO gas and it won't stall! So we let her fully ruin the clutch lol - easy to learn on when you basically can't stall. Couple weeks later - settled on parts from competition clutch. Decided to run an OEM throwout bearing with their stage 2 kit - dropped it off to be installed this morning. It's cold as shit in Maryland and I'm unequipped for this job - dont judge me! No glamour pics like from the manifold install - just keeping y'all posted!

#45 ·
Glade I caught this! I'm rebuilding my beloved RSX as we speak. Not trying to hy-jack your thread. I'll get back as to what I've got and what I run into all together. Short block is still in. The head is off and disassembled. Parts are gathered and it's time for some machine work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.