Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY $5 door lock actuator repair

9K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  GraceNoah 
#1 ·
if you're like me and dont want to spend $35 to replace the lock motor, well heres some help to fix it like new for $5

you will need a dremel or grinding tool to half notch the new motors shaft to fit the plastic gear

you will also need a new motor, i found mine on ebay for $5
part # FC-280PT-22125 or FC-280PC-22125 or Johnson KF243G-101

Shaft: ROUNDYOU WILL NEED TO GRIND THE SHAFT TO MATCH THE OLD ONE! - 2mm diameter x 9.85mm length
Canister: 24.2mm Diameter (18.3mm on flat sides) x 30.5mm long
Overall Length: 45.0mm (Tip to Tail)

follow the guides and links posted below like you would normally replace and remove the whole lock motor but when you remove door lock actuator from the door latch pry it open with a flat head screwdriver working around the edges and pry the lid off

inside you will see the little metal motor that wears out, lift it straight up and it will "unplug" from the terminals that power it, next be careful not to drop the gear and brass washer that will slide right off the end, store them safely somewhere

grind your new motor shaft to match then either hot glue or super glue the actuator box back together "i would do this after you hold the box together plug it in and cycle the lock a few times to test and make sure you put it back together correctly

viola $5 well spent!
:beerchug:

similar resource links so you get the idea

http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-guide-door-actuator-motor-414788/

See less See more
#3 ·
well that shaft attaches to a wound coil which could be worn out as well, harbor freight sells a dremel kit for like $12 if a buddy does not have one you can borrow,
im just going to hold the shaft with some tiny wire cutters while i grind it down flat, it does not have to be 100% perfect because the gear is plastic and will give some.. shouldnt be that hard to get it close....

#7 ·
finished it today, works like brand new, i just used super glue to glue the halves back together ,

used a pair of small pliers on the new motor to hold the shaft from spinning from the back side of the motor so i could grind in as far as i needed on the front / face of the shaft, used a air grinder on low speed with a 2" sanding disc, took maybe 10 secs

just confirm the depth and fitment with the old motor while you grind swapping the gear back and forth..

fairly easy job! good luck! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.