Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

RSX vs FR-S

Tags
frs rsx
35K views 131 replies 40 participants last post by  superchargedk20 
#1 · (Edited)
I sold my RSX 5-speed two weeks ago to buy an FR-S. The FR-S is an incredible machine, but it also reminds me daily of how good my RSX was. I sold the RSX with 155K on the odometer, with almost all the original parts - so reliability was outstanding.

Here is a comparison of the two cars:

Braking: Always a weak point in my RSX. Too much slack in the pedal. FR-S is direct and a dream to modulate.

Steering Feel: Pretty equal. The RSX had great steering and tracked beautifully. Very slight edge over the FR-S. Quicker steering ratio in the FR-S should have been standard in the RSX.

Ride: The RSX was softer over small imperfections, with less jiggling, but the FR-S handles big bumps without any harshness. Edge to the FR-S. The FR-S does pick up the road surface and translate it back to the cabin. The RSX is more isolated from that on the highway.

Handling: The FR-S is better around curves and more confident on the highway. But the RSX was remarkably good and not far behind. The RSX was a little better in maintaining traction when turning on bumpy pavement. The FR-S has much better balance, but the difference doesn't really show up in normal driving.

Ergonomics: The RSX had better ergonomics in the controls and the angle of the radio face. The FR-S' controls are closer to hand. The RSX is way better for storage spaces and trunk room. I prefer the fairly upright windshield in the FR-S, and like it much better than the super low angle one in the new Civic SI. Upright windshields are cool in my book.

Visibility: Both cars have good visibility, but the FR-S has the edge in being able to see the hood (wheel bumps on either side), a thinner A column and better side mirror positioning. But the RSX had much better left rear visibility. Rearward gives a slight edge to the RSX.

Quality of Interior: The RSX was a mixed bag. I loved the dash and liked the controls and the steering wheel was the best I have used. But the top door panels and the rubbery armrests were bad. Leather seats in the RSX were outstanding. FR-S seats are confining but extremely comfortable. Climate control better in the RSX. Interior materials are no-frills, but uniformly good quality in the FR-S, except for the climate controls. I like the design in both cars.

Transmission: The RSX is the clear winner, as the FR-S is much more notchy. However, I prefer the clutch in the FR-S since takeup is shorter and more precise.

Noise: The FR-S is quiet at low speeds, and fairly loud on the highway due to road noise. The RSX had both wind and road noise. Edge to the FR-S.

Driving Experience: I give the edge to the RSX at low speed and in congested conditions. Driving normally on empty roads they are equal. At higher speeds the FR-S shows tremendous confidence and surety that my base RSX couldn't match.

One other area where the RSX is better is in ease of entry and exit. I still haven't found a graceful way to get into and out of the FR-S. Its long doors and high threshold means that the doors have to be open wide to get in and out. The RSX has a clear edge in tight parking spaces.

I'm not going to talk about the engine, since I didn't own a type S that would be a more direct comparison. But I will say that the engine sound in the FR-S is more throaty and coarse - but very likeable.

If anyone has questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Also, I am not about to start drifting the FR-S until I get access to a track and money to burn.

If you own an RSX I suggest that money spent on increasing its longevity is well spent. Almost every car I test drove over the past year, including Honda, Acura, Mini, Mustang, Subaru, Nissan, Volvo, Mazda and Ford, did not offer road feel and steering comparable to the RSX.

See less See more
#40 ·
I just bought an 05 SRX type-S with 61k miles 3 weeks ago. I love the car so far. I would have bought an FR-S/BRZ but there was no way I was going to pay 24k for a new car at this stage in my life. I will probably drive this RSX for 5 years and then find a used BRZ.

#44 · (Edited)
its a more lighthearted amusing car, the s2k feels more serious. When you are driving a BRZ you feel like you could just start getting sideways and it would be pretty easy to control, the S2000 feels a lot more angry and high strung..it was an AP1 though, I would imagine the AP2 is bit less nutty feeling...and the steering is better...everyone knows s2000 steering is a bit numb

#45 · (Edited)
Just test drove an FR-S today as I've been debating selling my Type-S now that almost the entire body has oxidized paint and little dings here and there. Amazing difference in the feel off the line from the FR-S is the most noticeable difference, and I like the throatier sound in the engine. It was actually a pleasure to accelerate from a stop, which I can't say about the Type-S. I would love to see the FR-S take off from the line with a super-charger.

Next biggest difference is the notchy shifter and clutch, though it may be something you just get used to after a while. I was glad to see that the clutch wasn't much longer than the RSX's...I didn't have to take my heel off the floor to clutch-out, which was a big concern of mine, as I fucking hate clutches that require you to take your whole foot off the floor and perform some sort of leg exercise to drive.

I was worried I wouldn't like the seats compared to the all-leather seats in my RSX, but the FR-S's seats are actually great and hug your body like a glove. It actually feels very comforting while sitting in them.

There was slightly less road visibility in the FR-S than the RSX. The front end just seems a little more bulky when you're trying to look forward and steer.

I like the dual-climate control convenience in the FR-S, but I know the original poster didn't seem to be a fan. It seemed to get cold right away though during the test drive, so not sure what their issue was...maybe just the ergonomics of the buttons?

Here were the three main deal breakers for me (as a daily driver car):

1) The FR-S's back seats are near useless. It's not even a question of which one is more cramped...there is just literally no room to even fit legs in the back of the FR-S. It's almost as if adding back seats to the FR-S is some prank. I'm 5'9" and with my seat comfortably adjusted (and I even like to be a little more forward and closer to the pedals than most) there was literally only like 1-2 inches between my seat and the edge of the back seat. Toddlers' legs MIGHT fit in between. So unless you are only 5' 2" and have similar sized friends, the back seats are nothing more than a scheme for Scion to put this car into a 4 seater class to attract customers.

2) FR-S had super small trunk space...like maybe half of the RSX's space, and I'm talking about both cars with their seats up. I can fit small desks and other medium sized furniture and chairs into my RSX with the seats folded down. You might be able to cram a small golf bag into the FR-S with it's seats down. If you ever drive to the airport, you better only be dropping off one person who packs conservatively.

3) Suspension...I actually liked the FR-S's suspension, but it would only be ideal for tracks, or if you only drive in nice communities with well-maintained, smooth roads. I live in LA, and the FR-S's suspension felt a lot like my RSX when I had coilovers, so I could tell it was going to be a real bitch to drive on the shitty roads and highways of LA.

Bottom line...if you are going to track this car, live in a community with super-smooth roads, and/or will never need to transport a 3rd or 4th passenger other than a toddler or a baby in a car seat, then the FR-S is your jam (or maybe a Honda 2000...haven't driven one, but seems comparable to the FR-S, considering both cars can only fit 2 adults). Otherwise, if you need your car to be practical as a daily driver, keep or get an RSX.

#47 ·
I would love to own an Fr-S/BRZ. But I have trouble justifying paying the price they want for what little power they have. Beautiful machines I can give them that.

#54 ·
I have been toying with the idea of selling my 06 RSX Type-S this summer. The cars I would consider all have been RWD. Mustang GT, BRZ, and S2K. I have test driven a S2K, and now a BRZ. I will say the winner between the two is a S2K. Last night I was able to test drive a new 2014 Subaru BRZ from the subie dealership in Columbus, Ohio.

First of all, the salesman was a nice guy, and was honest. He flat out told me he does not know much about the car because he sells way more suv's and family wagons each month.
He apologized to me, but I told him it was alright, I did my own research. He was nice enough to let me drive the car with my wife unsupervised, plus he could not fit in the back seat with my wife riding shotgun.

The model I drove was the premium model with cloth seats. The cloth seats were supportive, the bolsters grabbed my sides well. The seats were designed for a smaller framed person, so I felt more support from these than my 06 type s seats. The cloth material felt cheap, I like my RSX's leather better. The back seat was a joke, but I do not care about back seats.

The telescoping and adjustable steering wheel is nice in the BRZ. The instrument gauges are cheap and not as refined as the RSX. I thought the tachometer/speedometer seemed very low grade. If you ever sit in one, you will see what I mean when coming from the RSX. I did not play with the radio that much, but the sound was a little below average compared to the audio systems new cars have. (Yes easily fixed)

The clutch pedal feel was good, buttery, and smooth. Reminded me of my wife's 05 RSX-S OEM clutch. The shifting action was smooth, with short precise throws. Very nice. My 06 has an Exedy stage 1 clutch kit with the lightweight flywheel, so pedal feel was a little too soft for my liking in the BRZ. (personal preference). The clutch lever is forward with the cup holders positioned by my right elbow. It did not feel awkward, it was very neutral to drive and shift gears.

The cabin is smaller, but duh, smaller car. I looked up at the roof liner twice. I noticed less head room, and no sunroof. I think I would miss a powered sunroof for sure. The visibility is good out of the windows and windshield. Better visibility than the newer Camaros if you ever sat in one. Road noise on the highway was bad. The michelin hp tires could be partly to blame, but I didn't mind. I have been driving my RSX with the rear body panels out for a couple months and that gets loud. I did not expect to be driving in a luxury car with excellent sound deadening materials. Trunk space is limited and coming from the RSX it seemed laughable. But again, smaller car.

Steering response was excellent. I can see why people love the car for its steering. No problems directing the car, and it handled highway speeds well. The car was very low and flickable. The 50/50 weight distribution made the car feel more confident with hard turns into a corner. I have the Mugen SS on my RSX, so road feel with bumps/uneven pavement felt the same. Someone coming from a standard vehicle might find it to be too stiff.

The biggest letdown for me was the engine! It does have a smooth linear powerband. Granted it makes about 200hp at the crank, I just felt underwhelmed by the engine. I can see why many people gripe about it. I have to say that the K20z engine in my RSX delivers a better surge of power and felt stronger even with 99k miles on it. I do have vibratechnics motor mounts which also changed the overall feel of the RSX for the better. The BRZ with boost is probably amazing. Factory installed superchargers should be an option with a warranty.

Overall the car is a good entry level sports car. I am in love with the way it looks from the outside. I am not in love with the interior or motor. I went to look at the 2015 blue series with the underbody spoiler and black painted STI wheels. IT LOOKS AMAZING. With a 30k sticker on it, I say not so fast.

I test drove a s2K last fall, and I have to say that car was better than the BRZ in a few ways (subjective). I just don't want to pay $$$ for an additional removable hardtop. But after leaving the dealership last night, I just might do that now.

#55 ·
I'm closing in on 1 year of BRZ ownership, so let me add my 2 cents. I have to disagree with a couple of your observations.

The interior to me is a mixed bag. To me the alcantara seats in the BRZ limited are way more comfortable than the RSX seats. Granted, I had an '03 Type S so it's not an exact comparison if you're coming from an 05-06 with the better seats. The center console on the limited is also a little nicer than on the premium, but I still liked the layout better in my RSX. The audio isn't great, but improves a lot with 5 minutes adjusting the EQ settings. The added technology in the BRZ, Bluetooth, Nav, etc.. kind of balance things out though IMO.

I preferred the transmission in the RSX. The gearbox in the BRZ is a little notchier, even with a weighted knob. The clutch pedal engages at a very high point, which I prefer to the RSX now...just took some adjusting.

I agree on the engine being a letdown. There's a little more low end torque than with the K20, but the FA20 has an infamous "torque dip" between 3-4k RPM's that's very noticeable. So to me, the RSX was a little more fun to wring out.

Overall I love the BRZ a little more than my RSX. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me, with a few simple mods the BRZ is the best looking new car you can buy for under 30k.

#59 ·
Are you sure the FRS/BRZ/86 trans is worse?

In terms of feeling, it might feel more notchy and the RSX has been out for longer,

BUT

there is a reason why RSX transmissions are nicknamed "glass transmissions." The 6speed is infamous for bad synchros and seems to tank for no reason even under moderate use.

#60 · (Edited)
Says who? People think the trans is trash caus all u hear about our stories of the broken ones. I'm hitting the 140k on my 2002. My glass trans shifts butter smooth and is still on stock clutch. Is there a recall on the type s trans ? Frs/ brz are garbo. A type s will pull on those turds all day

#64 · (Edited)
I own both a type s and a s2000 if I want track. Better switch out those prius tires before u hit the track with it. Please tell me the newer models addressed that ?

#67 ·
U gotta be joking ? Tires are one of the most important things on a vehicle especially a vehicle made for track use. Let's put prius tires on a vette or a gtr. Since there "just tires"

#68 ·
I didn't say tires are not important.

The reality is, if you're going to track a car, you should buy good tires made for racing and not use stock tires unless you bought some special edition track car.

So what I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what tires the FRS or S2K or RSX comes with from factory. If you go to track these cars, you should get better tires.

#72 ·
I just don't think it's fair to the consumer. It's already an overpriced underpowered machine. The least they can do is give u something more respectable than what they throw on a freakin prius

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.