Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Riddle me this! Shop replacement I can't believe

698 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  all<dc5 
#1 ·
Ok I bought a used rsx type s checked it over the best I could to make sure it was an a2 but the only thing I couldn't see was the stamp on the block everything was right and having crashed my ep3 a couple months before didn't question much after I hit vtec in the type s for the first time caught me by surprise and scared the shit out of me it's way faster runs great idle is good at 750 vtec at 5800 and it's undeniably faster than the ep3 so why would I think it was nothing but an a2 and I did my research cuz I didn't want to get tricked like others and seeing so many type s that had a3s I didn't want it well I finally saw the stamp a3 couldn't believe it off came the valve cover single lobe cams on the exhaust very sad day has a prb ecu no mods when I got it the guy wasn't into it (shop raped him for 2400$ for this a3 that they put in it total 3400$ btw) anyways from all iv read it's no possible to run right especially without k-pro or people try to saw it works and everyone calls bs but I'm not making shit up does anyone have an explanation?what would happen if i put an a2 head on it since it already runs like it does have vtec even thou it clearly does not would i even have to tune it? Idk what oil pump I have but it has the a2 pan they even swapped the valve cover to the Honda motor company one it looks like the took the open head and block of an a3 and put all of the stuff from the a2 back on. How does it seem to have vtec and the power it shouldn't because it's there the ep3 was fun and quick and this thing is a monster compared to it! Anyone care to try and explain?

See less See more
#2 ·
when I got it the guy wasn't into it (shop raped him for 2400$ for this a3 that they put in it total 3400$ btw) anyways from all iv read it's no possible to run right especially without k-pro or people try to saw it works and everyone calls bs but I'm not making shit up does anyone have an explanation?

What the he'll does this even say tho? How couldn't u tell that it wasn't double cam and true vtec compared to single lobe?? What is it redlining at? Only thing I can think of is they reflashed ecu to make it feel different than a base. Point being either way if u were suspicious from the jump and looked for the engine code on the block you shouldnmt have bought it unless u saw it. I'm still blown away u couldn't tell the difference between the a3 and a2 when driving. How much did u pay? Got any pics of the setup or bay?

#3 ·
A3 has VTEC, its just kicks in at about 2200 RPM and is a lot less aggressive of a cam lobe, plus it's only on the intake side.

https://www.hondata.com/?_route_=tech-rsx-vtec-vtc

Easy way to tell in the future, plastic intake manifold = A3, metal = A2. If you wanted to change it over, you'd need at least the head, ECU, intake manifold, and a few other odds and ends. I am unsure if the wiring harnesses are the same either, so you might need to change that out as well. What is the block stamped as? A2 or A3? At that point, you might as well just buy a type unless your going to do it all yourself. Even still that's a decent amount of time and energy for a whole 40 hp, better putting that money toward a turbo kit ha

#4 ·
A3 has VTEC, its just kicks in at about 2200 RPM and is a lot less aggressive of a cam lobe, plus it's only on the intake side.

https://www.hondata.com/?_route_=tech-rsx-vtec-vtc

Easy way to tell in the future, plastic intake manifold = A3, metal = A2. If you wanted to change it over, you'd need at least the head, ECU, intake manifold, and a few other odds and ends. I am unsure if the wiring harnesses are the same either, so you might need to change that out as well. What is the block stamped as? A2 or A3? At that point, you might as well just buy a type unless your going to do it all yourself. Even still that's a decent amount of time and energy for a whole 40 hp, better putting that money toward a turbo kit ha
Not necessarily. The EP3 K20A3 comes with the aluminum PRB intake manifold.

#5 ·
Ok I bought a used rsx type s checked it over the best I could to make sure it was an a2 but the only thing I couldn't see was the stamp on the block everything was right and having crashed my ep3 a couple months before didn't question much after I hit vtec in the type s for the first time caught me by surprise and scared the shit out of me it's way faster runs great idle is good at 750 vtec at 5800 and it's undeniably faster than the ep3 so why would I think it was nothing but an a2 and I did my research cuz I didn't want to get tricked like others and seeing so many type s that had a3s I didn't want it well I finally saw the stamp a3 couldn't believe it off came the valve cover single lobe cams on the exhaust very sad day has a prb ecu no mods when I got it the guy wasn't into it (shop raped him for 2400$ for this a3 that they put in it total 3400$ btw) anyways from all iv read it's no possible to run right especially without k-pro or people try to saw it works and everyone calls bs but I'm not making shit up does anyone have an explanation?what would happen if i put an a2 head on it since it already runs like it does have vtec even thou it clearly does not would i even have to tune it? Idk what oil pump I have but it has the a2 pan they even swapped the valve cover to the Honda motor company one it looks like the took the open head and block of an a3 and put all of the stuff from the a2 back on. How does it seem to have vtec and the power it shouldn't because it's there the ep3 was fun and quick and this thing is a monster compared to it! Anyone care to try and explain?
You could probably just swap to an A2 head and not have to do anything else if your ECU really is PRB.

#7 ·
Still wouldn't have the A2's compression ratio that those cams are designed to work with.

Learned something new haha. All of the RSX's I saw had the plastic, but I guess one could swap the ep3 intake manifold. You'd have CEL "P1078" For the intake runner control valve malfunction.

Ask me how I know...:dontknow::(
Isn't the only difference between the EP3 and base RSX the intake manifold? At least on an A3, that plastic dual-stage manifold apparently makes 10 lb-ft more torque than the PRB.

#9 · (Edited)
Still wouldn't have the A2's compression ratio that those cams are designed to work with.
Correct. Probably would still be better than the A3 head too, I've heard of people swapping the head to A2 with an A3 bottom end and from what I've heard it runs good. Tuning it shouldn't be necessary but would be ideal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.