Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

SoHonda Garage's Circuit DC5 Build

232K views 1K replies 290 participants last post by  RuizDC5 
#1 · (Edited)

Welcome to the home of the SHG DC5 Touring car build! This is our first ground up construction of a purpose built race car, so enjoy watching the attention to detail approach that you have come to expect from SHG!

The car is being built by us at SHG Motorworks for a client per say, my girlfriend and her father. After racing a Spec Miata in SCCA for 2 seasons they (and myself) were finally fed up with the poor design, poor reliability, and overall disappointing experience with the Miata and the class in general. After weeks of convincing her father that we could make a FWD chassis competitive, he bit the bullet and purchased the 2002 RSX-S you will see in a bit.

The DC5 will compete in SCCA Improved Touring R class, and will also compete in the SCCA PRO IT series. The whole build will be done in house by the SHG Motorworks team. A special thanks to our partners at Flatout Motorsports for letting us complete the tear down and cage at their facility!

Also, be sure to check out our website for products, tech articles, member info and more!

WWW.SHGMOTORWORKS.COM

See less See more
#39 ·
Got some SHG homies over and attacked the sound deadening! We bought 40 lbs of dry ice in am and got the whole thing done in a few hours. We started cleaning off all the residue but didnt get too far since we ran out of brake clean.

Thanks Boyz :wavey:

Beans lurkin the cauldren ;)

Mad limbs!

All stripped out, roughly 13lbs of tar... I honestly thought it would be more :dontknow:

#42 ·
For a street car or track day car, definitely not worth it. For a race car that we will be trying to win a championship in, every pound counts. Especially when youre calculating fuel consumption to be only a few lbs over minimum weight at the end of a race.

Also, it looks soooo much cleaner, and its much easier to weld to the floor where you need to when all of that shit is out of the way

For me just the cleanliness makes it worth it, and honestly with the dry ice alot of it lifted itself once it got cold enough.

#43 ·
Sorry this is moving so slow guys, but just biding our time until theres room in the shop to start the cage!

Got all the sound deadening residue and crap cleaned up in the trunk and rear seat area. Were leaving the seam sealer since class rules prevent us from stitch welding the chassis. Its alot of work Id like to avoid and it does help to keep those seams free from moisture so no reason to go through the hassle of removing it :thumbup:

Also pulled the headliner and some other stuff...

Looks like we should be able to get the car in the shop in a week or so. Were also going to do a baseline pull to see where the motor is at which will help us decide if we want to build it for this season or just leave it as is and see how she does. :scared:

#45 ·
Got a package today! Todd's front top hats, for maximum manipulation of camber and caster. They will be an important part of setting the car up in the future! These things are almost too trick :run:

Also in talks with a big name on a possible sponsorship program..... stay tuned! :noes:

#55 ·
Evan, are you going to be doing any modeling for the front sussy? I recently did this, very rough as it's hard to measure the center of the ball joints, and now I know why it is pretty bumpsteery:

The tie rod arm is about 17* off from being perpendicular. I need to either lower inner mounting point of arm, or remove some negative camber.

#56 ·
What's the final tie rod angle you're looking to achieve? And also how much camber are you running? I thought you stopped tracking the DC5. :p

#61 ·
No problem man, the more informative posts in here the better! You know I like my threads to be educational :thumbsup:

I havent begun any kind of suspension work since the car is still going to be stripped etc. Ill work on that once the car is assembled with the new components in place.

Ive actually got 3 different inner brackets that I fabricated experimenting with that very subject (tie rod angle) on my EP3 trying to get that perpendicular tie rod angle. I made it difficult for myself since I kept changing the setup (and am again this spring) lol. Hopefully one of those will work for the DC5's setup, otherwise Ill have to pick up another bracket and fab one according to the cars measurements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.