Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY Taillight Gasket Replacement (Water in Trunk Fix)

213K views 350 replies 182 participants last post by  integra2k20 
#1 · (Edited)
This is for the 02-04 RSXs that drive around with a pool of water in their trunk.

Here’s the pool

We need to find out where the leak is.
Remove your carpet, foam board, spare tire, taillight access lid, (and plastic cover if you wish).

To take off the taillight access lids, just pull… very hard

I took off the plastic cover. You don’t have to but it’s quick and it makes the job a little bit easier.
There are only 4 snaps. Just pull and they’re out.

After removing the carpet, foam board, spare tire, and taillight access lid; run water down from the top of the hatch and let it flow through the taillight. Do this until you notice where the water is leaking through.

Here’s the problem

For most people, the problem is usually that their taillight gaskets are bad.

I ordered my new taillight gaskets from acuraoemparts
Part Number: 33502-S6M-A11
Their minimum quantity is 2 so you would pay $16.16 + shipping

These are the gaskets

First thing you need to do is remove your rear bumper
s2k_3.11 has a great DIY for removing your rear bumper here http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=542715

Now that the rear bumper is off, you can move inside the car
Turn the bulb sockets 45° counterclockwise to remove the bulb sockets. Pull the small plug at the end out.

Remove the mounting nuts. There are four 8mm nuts on the inside, 2 screws on the outside (you already took one out when you took off the rear bumper).
I also removed one of the mounting bracket nuts (10mm) to gain full access to the taillight.

See less See more
#109 ·
i was attempting to do this DIY brought the gaskets and everything but curse the MA weather conditions when i got to work on the rear the tail light brackets were all rusted in i couldnt get the screws out i pb blasted/wd40 the shit out of them and only got 1 screw out and snap a bolt... any suggestions on how to change the gaskets or removing the tail lights orr just getting ride of the water permanently?

#111 ·
the best fix for this problem (tried and true from an EM2, to prelude, to my old 06 base)

remove tails
replace with new gaskets...maybe even layer up with the old ones
apply silicone grease on all protrusions that go through the gasket

#114 ·
My driver side tail light as well as my spare tire area are full of water and mold.

I love love love my 06 type s but seeing all these ongoing posts is really starting to piss me off.

Why won't or hasn't Acura done anything about this? Clearly its a manu defect since there are cars from 02-06 having the SAME FREAKING PROBLEM! Where's the recall????

#118 ·
Same problem here. Water in the tail lights on both sides and a little in the trunk bay after the last week of rain. Called my local delearship here in Sac (NielloAcura.com) and told him about the problem. My 05-S is out of warranty but only has 28k miles on it. He said he would touch base with his Acura rep to see if they can do a "good-will" repair on it even though it is out of warranty. I'm waiting for him to call me back to tell me the good news (I hope). Crossing my fingers...

If not, I will use the OP helpful DIY. Thanks for posting that...

#120 ·
UPDATE: Acura called me back, said they would swap out the rear light housing for the updated ones but only if I pay $160 of the $700 job (not sure if it really costs this much???). Not a bad offer since I'm out of warranty but enough for me try this DIY first to see if that resolves the leak.

#119 ·
Washed my 05 today and noticed condensation on the passenger rear tail light. I took the bumper off and noticed the gasket had a lot of dirt and grime on it. I just cleaned it off and will put it back on once it dries out and see how that goes. Why did Acura chose a foam gasket vs rubber?

#126 ·
Anybody else have info on how much it would cost at dealership to fix? $700 sounds like an awful lot, but I don't have a garage, tools, time or patience to do this myself.

I had some documents in my trunk that were soaked today (Atlanta, GA). I saw this tread and decided to check the spare tire well. Sure enough it was damp under the spare tire.

#129 ·
true story.

Anybody else have info on how much it would cost at dealership to fix? $700 sounds like an awful lot, but I don't have a garage, tools, time or patience to do this myself.

I had some documents in my trunk that were soaked today (Atlanta, GA). I saw this tread and decided to check the spare tire well. Sure enough it was damp under the spare tire.
seems like youve got it bad...and the dealership will (you can count on it) charge you way too much to do it. I did it myself for $16 and a few hours of my time. so if youre worried about time, youd be sitting at the dealership for awhile anyway. and i did this without knowing shit about taking a car apart or anything, just followed this diy, so dont worry about patience, youll be fine.

#137 ·
Now all I need is a rainy day to come along to see if it did the job...seeing as weather is 70-75 all week and sunny, that may not happen for a while.

you could just take a hose and put it on low and run it down the edges where the trunk opens and see if the water leaks into the light

..i f'd mine up baking it(it warped cause i left it in a few long) but i ordered a used oem one in great condition from ebay for lik 60 bucks

#141 ·
Well one year is better than a few months! I installed these a few months back, first rain here in Norcal and the damn left gasket leaked again! The right seems to be holding though. I'll be taking some silicone to seal the gap between the taillight assembly and the chassis. What a waste of money...

#145 ·
i drilled a hole at the lowest point in the trunk where the hook is for the spare tire in that little groove. you dont have a drill a hole to drain it if you have access to a shop-vac. thats what i did until i had enough and put a hole. or just a shit load of towels. i wouldnt leave the water in there very long either because atleast where i live when i got hot out the water would smell a little and it would feel like a sauna in the car.

#149 ·
Installed these back on last night. Here are the parts that I bought from the dealer.

06335-S6M-305, Gasket kit R, $11.05
06336-S6M-305, Gasket kit L, $11.05

Like someone said earlier, these are the new gaskets with the adhesive backing. The old gasket used to be the same part for Left and Right.

Don't know if it's going to work but we'll see with time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.