Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

SoHonda Garage's Circuit DC5 Build

232K views 1K replies 290 participants last post by  RuizDC5 
#1 · (Edited)

Welcome to the home of the SHG DC5 Touring car build! This is our first ground up construction of a purpose built race car, so enjoy watching the attention to detail approach that you have come to expect from SHG!

The car is being built by us at SHG Motorworks for a client per say, my girlfriend and her father. After racing a Spec Miata in SCCA for 2 seasons they (and myself) were finally fed up with the poor design, poor reliability, and overall disappointing experience with the Miata and the class in general. After weeks of convincing her father that we could make a FWD chassis competitive, he bit the bullet and purchased the 2002 RSX-S you will see in a bit.

The DC5 will compete in SCCA Improved Touring R class, and will also compete in the SCCA PRO IT series. The whole build will be done in house by the SHG Motorworks team. A special thanks to our partners at Flatout Motorsports for letting us complete the tear down and cage at their facility!

Also, be sure to check out our website for products, tech articles, member info and more!

WWW.SHGMOTORWORKS.COM

See less See more
#67 ·
My buddy is comin over tomorrow to help finish removing all the accessible sound deadening ad well as removing all the unnecessary brackets in the interior. Then the car is headed to the shop early next week :beerchug:

#69 ·
Yeah the rear seats alone are 35-40lbs. Im interested to see how much weight comes out with all the unnecessary wiring. While Im doing the cage and working with the chassis at the shop, Mike will be working on the interior harness stripping all of the un needed connectors and wiring. Once the cage is done and the chassis is painted it will all go back to my house to be built :)

Im very excited about running all the electronics in the car. Its one of my favorite things to do and I find it very peaceful. Ill be doing a full raychem/milspec engine harness with all the accessory data inputs integrated as well as a milspec interior sub harness for the data logger, dash, radio, etc. Should be a pretty tidy setup when all is said and done :bow:

#70 ·
Hey guys got some updates finally! Had the guys come over and put in work getting the rest of the sound deadening and seam sealer cleaned up as well as removing some extra brackets :thumbup:

Started on the brackets by drilling out the welds with a spot weld bit, then ground down the nubs...

Frame brace brackets:

Seat Brackets:

Spare tire brackets:

So satisfying to toss all this!

Then we worked on removing the seam sealer in a few places where the cage bases will be placed etc.

Here you can see some of the factory stitch welding in key structural areas

And how she sits now. Ive also got alot of the chassis harness labeled as to what connectors and wiring is getting removed

#71 ·
We spent the day today working on some media for SHG, including the design for the number boards. Thanks to Mike for drawing this up for us, its also going to be one of the T-Shirt designs that will be available soon :thumbsup:

#75 ·
So the car is finally at the shop and I spent Saturday working on mounting the seat so I can make sure the cage clears it properly when I start work on it. Since the stock seats were pretty beat and resale value would have been low I decided to grab the sliders off of them to use for the race seat.

I opted for these because, well, you just cant beat OEM quality and safety. These have a perfect sliding/locking mechanism whereas most aftermarket sliders work like crap. Theyre also crash tested obviously so safety isnt a concern.

I started by tearing down the whole seat and grinding off the rivets that held the sliders to the seat frame and was left with these tidy sliders...

Then I made mounting brackets from some angle steel and TIG'd them onto the sliders.

Next step was to modify the Racetech side mounts to fit my brackets...

Gave the steel a coat of paint and bolted it all up with grade 12.9 hardware (FIA aprroved)... They do look pretty trick :)

Here is the seat installed, you can see I also was able to use the oem slide lever flipped upside down to clear the seat :thumbsup:

#82 ·
Mike, Theresa, claudio and I spent the day getting a baseline number on the dynapack and tearing the car some more

Mike took a look air fuel while we did the pulls to make sure everything was looking kosher. After not liking what we saw we uploaded a map from a previous car Mike had tuned. He made a couple quick adjustments to flatten out the a/f and she put down a healthy 193/150. Without doing a full build on the motor were expecting to be in the 210 range. Fingers cossed!

Theresa checking out seat position and where we want to place the pedal and wheel accordingly, she will be driving the car in the Pro-IT series next season :)

We ended up removing the hatch, moonroof, dash, cowl and wiper motor and some more seam sealer. Theresa and Clauds also got all the tint off the rear window which was a huge pita...

#91 ·
Yeah we will be looking at oil pressure in the data acquisition during shakedown to determine what we need to be careful of, if anything. We'll be doing extensive baffling and running a high oil level to be proactive against pressure drops.

#95 ·
Oiling was the weakness of mine and why I decided to stop until I take care of that. Hasn't happened lol. I had an oil psi warning light the last few track days, at 25 or 30psi, it would light up every corner. And I usually filled it up 1/2qt over full at the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.