Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

RSX or...?

Tags
rsx
3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  IronGumby 
#1 · (Edited)
Kind of torn on what car to get as a daily/weekend drive/fun car for myself.

It's been a few years since I've had an Rsx, and I've regretted selling it pretty much every day since. I'm not sure if it's just all the nostalgia or if it's because I've always wanted one since a freshman in high school and actually graduated, got a job and bought one for myself. But the FWD, lack of launching ability/traction, and having no power with the A/c on in the summer sucked, and I remember hating that.

Currently have a 2015 F-150 as my daily/family car so just really just looking for opinions on what to buy next. I've narrowed it down to:

Rsx Type s
350z
BMW E36 M3
G35

Price would be 10k max, but am more comfortable spending closer to 5k. Any suggestions? I would say s2000 but I'm 6'4 and my knee was pretty much against the dashboard. I'm thinking type-s since they're a little cheaper than the nissans, and mostly because they get the best MPG out of the list.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Well from experience with all 4 cars, as my group of friends run all 4 of these. I can tell you right now:

Reliability: RSX wins hands down.
Comfort: G35
Fun factor: 350z
Costs to mod: RSX
Exclusiveness: M3 and RSX
RWD vs FWD: toss up as its comparing apples to oranges. (350, g35, m3 all rwd obviously, and only the rsx is fwd)

My g35 friend has overheating issues on the regular, and complains that his car is heavy (Known issue with them)
My BMW friend always complains that parts are too high for his car. We all love our friends M3 (he has a e46 tho)
My 350z friend always complains about wanting a 370, and the fact that sometimes he feels like he's gonna get lose it at any given moment. So that's why i said fun factor as he feels he's pushing his car on the edge a lot.
Everyone loves my RSX's gearbox, and they always say they never see RSX's around still in good condition. I personally just want more power out of it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: keikdasneek
#8 ·
My BMW friend always complains that parts are too high for his car. We all love our friends M3 (he has a e46 tho)
That's more specific to the E46 though. The E36 used a lot more parts that were shared with the non-M3 models, so that should help out a bit.

OP, you said "family" car, but you listed coupes (with the exception of the E36 M3, which did come as a sedan in the latter part of its lifespan) with one of them being a two-seater. What do you want/need out of a car?

#5 · (Edited)
Personally I've never understood the appeal of a FWD with more than 300-350hp outside of a dragstrip. Any more and get a different drive train. You've ruled out a GD WRX and GC 2.5 RS? Are you wanting a project or something fun out of the box?

As for the SRT-4, it looks like an angry pug the second you put those seemingly requisite eyelids on.

... Cobalt SS? Those had pretty good reviews in the magazines, they're supposed to handle really well. Being American I'm not sure about interior quality though. But then the 350Z's is terrible, and Subarus have always been dull.

#6 · (Edited)
The srt-4 comment was just a joke.

Kind of just want a fun daily, that I'd drive mostly by myself or with my gf on the weekends.

As far as the WRX's go, I like them but not really wanting another turbo'd car. If I did I'd want a STI but they're out of my initial price range.

Right now I'm leaning between a RSX type-s or a Integra GSR.

I'm going to go sit in a s2000 and see if I even fit in it. I'm pretty tall, but I don't really like that they don't get that much better mpg than my truck.

To answer your question about if I want a project, I want something I can drive now reliably as I slowly build it up.

#11 ·
I highly recommend an RSX Type S with an LSD swapped in to reign in that FWD power.
Otherwise consider an FR-S with an OFT E85 tune. It is quick! Oops, not on your list.
I fancied a Z myself but am glad I got the RSX. Cheaper, more soul, dynamic, to me.
The GSR is a great option though just because of the front double-wishbone suspension!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.