Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Supercharged *CHAT* CXV - The S/C crew resurrection

84K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  nats007 
#1 ·
New chat gents... Post up!

Leaving BWI to MCO :weeeeeeeeee:

#1,032 ·
Whats up gents, I am in need of a competent mechanic in the Tampa, FL and south area. The RSX needs a new alternator and some tuning and I don't know anyone around my area that I can trust. Turning the wrenches myself isn't an option anymore, so I need some help.

Know anyone competent?

#1,034 · (Edited)
Tampa area... Remember hearing about LHT Performance. I never been though. I'm in Orlando, and I go to Dynasty Automotive for any wrenching on the car I can't bother with. Tuning, you can get with CMB in Orlando or etune.

I actually changed my alternator last year without pulling the blower. I went through the passenger headlight and it's really not as bad as I thought it would be.

#1,035 · (Edited)
#1,036 ·
Super clean Sir! GLWS.

My RSX literally looks worse than my beater :face:

On a positive note, had an early morning cruise doing 100 to wake it up this morning on the highway. I think my tune is done.

#1,037 ·
Well decided to see how the old RSX running on E85 would compare against my MK7 GTI which has been recently modified with APR’s stage 2 ECU tune and downpipe. Test run was from 30 to 70 mph. It was interesting to see that the RSX was just a hair quicker. My son said as quiet as the GTI’s ride is, it sounded like the RSX’s supercharger was in the GTI’s back seat. Happy to see that all my work towards the RSX was not wasted and that its still competitive with newer cars. Now I need to save some $$ to buy a larger turbo for my GTI.

#1,040 ·
I have not, but I'm running a pulley boy's 3" BP. It's critical to have your pulley installed correctly. Do you have a pic of your setup? Also, did you use the smaller PS pulley provided with the JRSC kit?

#1,041 ·
False alarm lol. Yeah its def important I was stressing. I do have the jackson ps pulley with the merc bracket.

I tried my 3.2 pulley and got the same result so on a hunch I loosened up all the manifold bolts and nudged it over as much as I could and it lines up perfectly now haha.

Pic of my old ep3 setup. Can't wait to get it finished

Attachments

#1,042 ·
Awesome... Glad you were able to figure it out! Props for keeping the S/C vs going another route. Its one of mods that is becoming more unique for the DC5. Keep us posted on the build.

#1,045 ·
So what exactly changed? Sounds like it was lined up perfectly before, and now it's not. I personally would not run a 7rib belt if the pulley are not aligned. I know folks have ran a 6 rib belt (I did as well briefly)

#1,046 ·
I'm really not sure. It's possible the straight edge I was using the other day wasn't perfectly straight or maybe the manifold moved back once the bolts tightened up hard to say I was not as vigilant as I should've been...

Makes me wonder if it was like this on my ep3 and I never noticed. I ran a 6 rib on the ep3 and it was fine but I have a 7 rib to use for the rsx. If it gets destroyed I'll just have to mill down the blower pulley to make it work and replace the belt. I don't see any other options at this point.

That being said...it is ~1mm...and I am confident everything is installed as it should be so I'm thinking I'm stressing for no reason.

#1,047 ·
I'm really not sure. It's possible the straight edge I was using the other day wasn't perfectly straight or maybe the manifold moved back once the bolts tightened up hard to say I was not as vigilant as I should've been...

Makes me wonder if it was like this on my ep3 and I never noticed. I ran a 6 rib on the ep3 and it was fine but I have a 7 rib to use for the rsx. If it gets destroyed I'll just have to mill down the blower pulley to make it work and replace the belt. I don't see any other options at this point.

That being said...it is ~1mm...and I am confident everything is installed as it should be so I'm thinking I'm stressing for no reason. View attachment 545841
True... Makes sense. Hope all works out.

I actually need to service my RSX.

#1,049 ·
Nah, primarily an oil change. I've done most of the engine maintenance last year. I need to rehaul the suspension and do some body work (e.g., coilovers or new struts, new headlights, passenger fender, remount my A-SPEC front lip, repaint).

#1,050 ·
Servicing, not my favorite pastime but necessary to keep the old girl running well. Already performed the routine inspection including changing the oil and fuel type. This weekend plan to do the deep cleaning and waxing. Then she will be ready for the rest of the summer for show and tell.

#1,051 ·
E85? Sounds fun haha. I dont think servicing is anybody's favorite.

Oil change is not so bad. Body work is a pain but suspension isn't bad. I did new aspec suspension and lca bushings and all that when I did my trans rebuild this sc install is the last stage of my build for the year can't wait for it to be done haha.

Found out my roommates dad can mill the blower pulley down for me at work so I'm gonna have him take off 1mm for me

#1,053 ·
x2... Same applies for JRSC. Before you cut, double check with another straight edge. Measure, confirm if there is a delta, measure again and confirm you get the same result.

Do one more for shits and giggles and then cut once you are confident in the results.

#1,056 ·
I had good luck with Odyssey battery. Going 6+ years now. PC925 with an alluminum bracket relocated to the back.
Just went with another Duralast 51R-DLG for the replacement.

In other news, dented my rear bumper not paying attention while parking... Ugh

#1,059 ·
Pulled the RSX out and realized it's leaning. Sure enough, rear driver side shock absorber is blown as it's sitting ~ 1 inch lower than the passenger side. Going to look into a suspension update more seriously now

#1,061 ·
Tell me about it... Really bad timing since I'm trying to handle some items around the house (i.e., repaint exterior, replace some damaged shutters, and install gutters). I know I needed the suspension though. It's over 14 years old.

#1,062 ·
Yesterday I sold my old 06 Malibu. My two boys used it to get back and forth to high school/college and I probably put close to 75K miles on it myself going to work. Youngest is now looking for a good used Civic Si or if he gets lucky a RSX-S. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

#1,063 ·
Didn't realize how nice the new Camry rides. Have one as a rental and I'm impressed.

Well, update on the RSX, I think my rear driver side suspension may be ok after all, so false alarm. I drove it to the airport on Monday, car felt fine, and didn't notice any bottoming out on bumpy road conditions. Also, I did collect a BNIB A-Spec rear lip last weekend from Delray Acura. Probably will sit in garage until I have time to figure out when I'll pull the trigger to respray.

#1,065 ·
Sup bro! I have the prototype Merc inlet and it has 3 ports. Not sure how many ports yours have, but this may help

https://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98402#/topics/98402

If I remember correctly, one goes to PCV valve, another connects to the s/c bypass, and the third connects to evap purge solenoid... I think.

#1,066 ·
I can’t find a photo of how the bottom looks. My car is at my parents place right now so I haven’t been able to check it out. It’s been pushed back priority wise, but I’m starting to get the urge to want to drive it. I tried googling photos of the merc inlet but there are no photos of the bottom of it anywhere.

#1,067 · (Edited)
I can’t find a photo of how the bottom looks. My car is at my parents place right now so I haven’t been able to check it out. It’s been pushed back priority wise, but I’m starting to get the urge to want to drive it. I tried googling photos of the merc inlet but there are no photos of the bottom of it anywhere.
Merc inlet has 3 ports, 2 larger fittings go to PCV (#2 in pic) and the other goes to EVAP hard line (#12 pic 2) beside the head. Mine goes straight to the booster since I deleted all that EVAP crap. Small nipple is for the bypass valve.

or... just pull the hoses off your stock inlet and put them onto the merc one lol.

#1,072 · (Edited)
Apparently i cant figure out how to quote previous posts lol.

Yes I am referring to the sc pulley...I took 1mm off the backside of the pulley to bring it into correct alignment with the rest of the pulleys...the lack of vtec engagement is a new unrelated issue. Any insight? No code no vtec. solenoid has been checked/replaced.

#1,075 ·
Been a while... How's everyone holding up? I've had a crazy past few months traveling... The Mrs and I both travel,so trying to deconflict has been a pain. Usually she handles the school stuff for the kids, but had to step up and do open house solo lol. Also the way kids are being taught us different from when I was in elementary school. Not a fan of this common core math.

Bunch of house maintenance... Prepped for painters to repaint exterior, stain patio, pressure washed driveway. Still have to figure out gutters and clean up other misc stuff around the house.

Up next is car maintenance. Clutch replaced on beater, MDX needs oil change this weekend and RSX needs some attention. Took the RSX in to work to give it some exercise

#1,076 ·
What's up S/C crew! :wavey:

I haven't drove my car in months. I went through so much to get the car boosted & running but a couple months after that I stopped driving it. Truck Life took over. :rotfl: I still have tons of parts left to install. :shakehead Just ordered a Ktune battery tie down, new injen air filter and Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. Time to get her back on the road again.

#1,077 ·
What's up S/C crew! <a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/wavey.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wavey" ></a>

I haven't drove my car in months. I went through so much to get the car boosted & running but a couple months after that I stopped driving it. Truck Life took over. <a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/rotfl.gif" border="0" alt="" title="ROTFL" ></a> I still have tons of parts left to install. <a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/shakehead.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Shakehead" ></a> Just ordered a Ktune battery tie down, new injen air filter and Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. Time to get her back on the road again.
Been there... Had a similar situation when I spun my rod bearing before swapping in the k24. Car sat... Then slowly put it back together. End product was well worth the wait!