Turbo or Supercharge - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Turbo RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
berto3223
Berto

berto3223 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Turbo or Supercharge

just wondering what you guys like better and why?
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
JMBare
I love Audi Junkie!!!

JMBare is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto3223
just wondering what you guys like better and why?

Wow, that is a loaded question.

-JMS
Old 02-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
krystar
Master Member

krystar is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Turbo Pros: You get a BlowOff Valve PSHSHHHHHH
Cons: Your car can blow up

Supercharger Pros: You get that distinctive supercharger whine going down the street.

I vote supercharger. hahahahah
This is the most work I've done at work EVER

Old 02-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
berto3223
Berto

no need to rip me for the question i was just wondering. the nice thing about supercharger is you dont need as many electrical shit as you do with a turbo, or atleast that is my understanding.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
YoungBlood
eternal blue pearl owner

YoungBlood is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i don't know much about the topic either but i know that your question has been brought up a bunch of times. It wouldn't hurt to search around the forum a little.

hope you get the answers you want, sorry i can't really help. If it makes any difference, i'm prolly gonna go with a turbo.
DIY Red Outs :: Grill craft 4 pc black grille :: License plate Relocated :: AEM cold air intake :: Tein SS-P W/EDFC :: Tinted windows [Dark front two, Dark Back] :: Black out JDM replicas with clear reflectors SMASHED in an accident :: 6000K HID kit ::

SALE:
~Type S wings west spoiler
~Clubrsx springs in strut assemblies
Old 02-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Ack03
Master Member

Ack03 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
A supercharger is an easier install... no need to tap into your oil pan, or anything like that, and it's at an easy spot to work at on the engine (right in the front).
Old 02-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
berto3223
Berto

this is true but you will get better gains with a turbo. im wondering how safe it is to have either one
Old 02-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
krystar
Master Member

krystar is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
as long as you tune it correctly and have the correct and quality parts, both are as safe as the other.
This is the most work I've done at work EVER
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #9
import_nation
black!

import_nation has disabled reputation
i prefer turbo...
loves the creme
Old 02-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
AntonioRSX
B18C + F20C = ORGASMO!

AntonioRSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
FORCED INDUCTION is always dangerous to an engine, just properly tune it...JMShipp will have his say as far as the TUNNING part
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #11
ADAMS~K20Z
Menace II Society

ADAMS~K20Z is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Superchargers require much less maintence.

~Adam~
Old 02-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #12
itsmeek
Master Member

itsmeek is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
this is true but you will get better gains with a turbo. im wondering how safe it is to have either one
this was the stupid thing that i was thinking when i chose turbo over sc. however keep in mind to run more boost then the sc the engine will have to be built. better to go w/sc imo. if i had to redo it, i'd go w/sc. cheaper and more reliable.
2002 Acura RSX-S TURBO
2005 E55 AMG, Stage 2 coming
Old 02-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
berto3223
Berto

thats true but intercoolers and blowoff valves are tight. is their a turbo kit that i dont need like a laptop to tune n shit
Old 02-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #14
itsmeek
Master Member

itsmeek is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
hmmm..their "tight". right...

anyhow, you don't need laptop for guardian unless u want to do datalogging and flashing.
2002 Acura RSX-S TURBO
2005 E55 AMG, Stage 2 coming
Old 02-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #15
JMBare
I love Audi Junkie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystar

Supercharger Pros: You get that distinctive supercharger whine going down the street.

I vote supercharger. hahahahah

This is hands down one of the best answers I have ever seen to this sort of question!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #16
JMBare
I love Audi Junkie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioRSX
FORCED INDUCTION is always dangerous to an engine, just properly tune it...JMShipp will have his say as far as the TUNNING part
I am flattered; I think my username makes its way into everyone of his post regarding engine management these days!! LOL

Thanks man,
JMS
Old 02-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #17
PsykotiK
Master Member

PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though PsykotiK is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystar

haha.. thatz some funny shit.. turboz all da way
Old 02-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #18
berto3223
Berto

so JMS what do you suggest you seem to know your shit. i dont know dick about tuning and i would like a turbo. what is the most noob friendly as far as just getting it installed tuned and then driving i wouldnt plan on messing around with changing psi n stuff
Old 02-17-2005, 12:09 AM   #19
import_nation
black!

import_nation has disabled reputation
if you install and tune the car right(with the turbo) it will last fairly long.. but it will die one day... you just have to guess what day that is.. and get some parts swapped b4 it happens... the maintenance of a turbo car = ... but i still like it better than supercharging
loves the creme
Old 02-17-2005, 01:11 AM   #20
JMBare
I love Audi Junkie!!!

Quote:
so JMS what do you suggest you seem to know your shit. i dont know dick about tuning and i would like a turbo. what is the most noob friendly as far as just getting it installed tuned and then driving i wouldnt plan on messing around with changing psi n stuff

I am in this particular dilemma myself. I am very interested in the new Comptech piece which is being tested as we speak. However, I am very familiar with turbo systems and tend to favor them a bit.

I am personally considering a supercharger, for the linear power delivery they tend to produce. The results could be pared with what you may find if you just installed a much bigger engine in your car. No lag to contend with, especially if you install a big turbo on your car, but also no sudden rush of power which many turbo boosters enjoy. I enjoy the way my stock RSX feels/accelerates/operates. A supercharger is the best way to maintain these behaviors/characteristics!

Problem is, superchargers are very limited with their output capabilities, but you may never need to build your engine to tune out the maximum potential of a supercharger! However, we may never see more than about 380 WHP out of the superchargers which are available today. Donít get me wrong, that is a lot of power, but some often find themselves desireing more!

Turbos do require a more complicated install and much greater amount of maintenance, but if you are willing to spend the money somewhere down the road on an engine build, you will realize far greater output potential and tune flexibilities with a turbo system. With a strong build and a good tune, one could conceivably see 700 WHP or more out of the K20 engines!!!

This has become especially intriguing with the latest introductions from very reputable companies such as Full-Race and One-Fab. We are no longer chained to companies such as Cybernation Motorsports if we are interested in going big on turbo installs. Greddy offers a good comprehensive kit, but you will quickly run into the same sort of limitations we experience with a SC system, due to the small turbo their kit employs. On the flip side, you will find that the torque delivery and drivability of the Greddy kit is very close if not stronger than a supercharger!!!

I guess it all comes down to your personal goals/budget/desires!!! Many SC guys say they would go turbo if they were to do it all over again, but many turbo guys say they would go SC if they were to start over! The grass is always greener!!! LOL

Bottom line is, do your research, read up as much as you can and develop a plan and STICK TO IT!

Most importantly, realize that forced induction is a commitment! No matter which you choose, the equipment is only as good as its brains! There is no replacement for good engine management! No matter what modifications you plan on making, it is always a good idea to start with this step first! If you wish to just have your car properly tuned, and left alone, K100 is for you. It will save you money on the purchase price. However, if you wish to be able to tune/tweak your tune yourself, and spend time perfecting it specifically for your car, than K-Pro will be a better choice! I know I may sound like a Hondata salesman, but I really beleive in this product, as it is a must have fro propper tuning/operation for forced induction on the K series angine which is set up for normal aspiration!

Anyway, I no this probably didn't get you any closer to your goal, but it really is going to be up to you!

See ya,
JMS
Old 02-17-2005, 07:37 AM   #21
Ack03
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMShipp2
With a strong build and a good tune, one could conceivably see 700 WHP or more out of the K20 engines!!!
I'm trying to imagine what 700 whp would be like on a FF car... To me, that's overkill.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #22
berto3223
Berto

yea see im looking for like 300 hp or so. i dont want anything too extreme. what would you recomend. i want to be running 13s maybe even 12s
Old 02-17-2005, 09:09 AM   #23
berto3223
Berto

yea see im looking for like 300 hp or so. i dont want anything too extreme. what would you recomend. i want to be running 13s maybe even 12s, but i need to be able to pass echeck so i need some help im not to educated on performance stuff. i have exhaust n cai right now and im debatin on going with hondata but then its like wat if i get a turbo or SC??? helpme lol
Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #24
Ack03
Master Member

Quote:
yea see im looking for like 300 hp or so. i dont want anything too extreme. what would you recomend. i want to be running 13s maybe even 12s, but i need to be able to pass echeck so i need some help im not to educated on performance stuff. i have exhaust n cai right now and im debatin on going with hondata but then its like wat if i get a turbo or SC??? helpme lol
Well, if you go with a supercharger you can keep your CAI. You'll need to ditch your CAI if you go the turbo route (the turbo kit comes with it's own intake piping and filter). With a supercharger you should have no problems with emissions either (however, I believe cybernation and greddy turbo kits are eCheck friendly as well).

Last edited by Ack03; 02-17-2005 at 09:17 AM..
Old 02-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #25
cleanrsx
"Semper fidelis"

cleanrsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack03
Well, if you go with a supercharger you can keep your CAI. You'll need to ditch your CAI if you go the turbo route (the turbo kit comes with it's own intake piping and filter). With a supercharger you should have no problems with emissions either (however, I believe cybernation and greddy turbo kits are eCheck friendly as well).
I dnt believe Greddy/CN are Echeck friendly....

You will fail Echeck miserably unless im missing something.........
Closed Thread