Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo or Supercharge

5K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  JUANonJUAN 
#1 ·
just wondering what you guys like better and why?

#3 ·
Turbo Pros: You get a BlowOff Valve PSHSHHHHHH
Cons: Your car can blow up

Supercharger Pros: You get that distinctive supercharger whine going down the street.
Cons: Your car can blow up

I vote supercharger. hahahahah

#5 ·
i don't know much about the topic either but i know that your question has been brought up a bunch of times. It wouldn't hurt to search around the forum a little.

hope you get the answers you want, sorry i can't really help. If it makes any difference, i'm prolly gonna go with a turbo.

#12 ·
berto3223 said:
this is true but you will get better gains with a turbo. im wondering how safe it is to have either one
this was the stupid thing that i was thinking when i chose turbo over sc. however keep in mind to run more boost then the sc the engine will have to be built. better to go w/sc imo. if i had to redo it, i'd go w/sc. cheaper and more reliable.

#18 ·
so JMS what do you suggest you seem to know your shit. i dont know dick about tuning and i would like a turbo. what is the most noob friendly as far as just getting it installed tuned and then driving i wouldnt plan on messing around with changing psi n stuff

#19 ·
if you install and tune the car right(with the turbo) it will last fairly long.. but it will die one day... you just have to guess what day that is.. and get some parts swapped b4 it happens... the maintenance of a turbo car = :thumbsdow... but i still like it better than supercharging :laughing:

#20 ·
berto3223 said:
so JMS what do you suggest you seem to know your shit. i dont know dick about tuning and i would like a turbo. what is the most noob friendly as far as just getting it installed tuned and then driving i wouldnt plan on messing around with changing psi n stuff

I am in this particular dilemma myself. I am very interested in the new Comptech piece which is being tested as we speak. However, I am very familiar with turbo systems and tend to favor them a bit.

I am personally considering a supercharger, for the linear power delivery they tend to produce. The results could be pared with what you may find if you just installed a much bigger engine in your car. No lag to contend with, especially if you install a big turbo on your car, but also no sudden rush of power which many turbo boosters enjoy. I enjoy the way my stock RSX feels/accelerates/operates. A supercharger is the best way to maintain these behaviors/characteristics!

Problem is, superchargers are very limited with their output capabilities, but you may never need to build your engine to tune out the maximum potential of a supercharger! However, we may never see more than about 380 WHP out of the superchargers which are available today. Don’t get me wrong, that is a lot of power, but some often find themselves desireing more!

Turbos do require a more complicated install and much greater amount of maintenance, but if you are willing to spend the money somewhere down the road on an engine build, you will realize far greater output potential and tune flexibilities with a turbo system. With a strong build and a good tune, one could conceivably see 700 WHP or more out of the K20 engines!!!

This has become especially intriguing with the latest introductions from very reputable companies such as Full-Race and One-Fab. We are no longer chained to companies such as Cybernation Motorsports if we are interested in going big on turbo installs. Greddy offers a good comprehensive kit, but you will quickly run into the same sort of limitations we experience with a SC system, due to the small turbo their kit employs. On the flip side, you will find that the torque delivery and drivability of the Greddy kit is very close if not stronger than a supercharger!!!

I guess it all comes down to your personal goals/budget/desires!!! Many SC guys say they would go turbo if they were to do it all over again, but many turbo guys say they would go SC if they were to start over! The grass is always greener!!! LOL

Bottom line is, do your research, read up as much as you can and develop a plan and STICK TO IT!

Most importantly, realize that forced induction is a commitment! No matter which you choose, the equipment is only as good as its brains! There is no replacement for good engine management! No matter what modifications you plan on making, it is always a good idea to start with this step first! If you wish to just have your car properly tuned, and left alone, K100 is for you. It will save you money on the purchase price. However, if you wish to be able to tune/tweak your tune yourself, and spend time perfecting it specifically for your car, than K-Pro will be a better choice! I know I may sound like a Hondata salesman, but I really beleive in this product, as it is a must have fro propper tuning/operation for forced induction on the K series angine which is set up for normal aspiration!

Anyway, I no this probably didn't get you any closer to your goal, but it really is going to be up to you!

See ya,
JMS

#23 ·
yea see im looking for like 300 hp or so. i dont want anything too extreme. what would you recomend. i want to be running 13s maybe even 12s, but i need to be able to pass echeck so i need some help im not to educated on performance stuff. i have exhaust n cai right now and im debatin on going with hondata but then its like wat if i get a turbo or SC??? helpme lol

#24 · (Edited)
berto3223 said:
yea see im looking for like 300 hp or so. i dont want anything too extreme. what would you recomend. i want to be running 13s maybe even 12s, but i need to be able to pass echeck so i need some help im not to educated on performance stuff. i have exhaust n cai right now and im debatin on going with hondata but then its like wat if i get a turbo or SC??? helpme lol
Well, if you go with a supercharger you can keep your CAI. You'll need to ditch your CAI if you go the turbo route (the turbo kit comes with it's own intake piping and filter). With a supercharger you should have no problems with emissions either (however, I believe cybernation and greddy turbo kits are eCheck friendly as well).

#25 ·
Ack03 said:
Well, if you go with a supercharger you can keep your CAI. You'll need to ditch your CAI if you go the turbo route (the turbo kit comes with it's own intake piping and filter). With a supercharger you should have no problems with emissions either (however, I believe cybernation and greddy turbo kits are eCheck friendly as well).
I dnt believe Greddy/CN are Echeck friendly.... :dontknow:

You will fail Echeck miserably unless im missing something.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.