Black Friday DIY Intake - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Scarmaz

Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Black Friday DIY Intake

I amtrying to snag up some online deals so I can order the parts to make an intake for my 06 s-type, but I need to know what to get. My budget is mid-range around 60-100$. Any good suggestions for both ends of the spectrum?
Scarmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
JayDog951RSX

JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JayDog951RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
U can get a used cold air for around 100
In market place
JayDog951RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Rich.Man
isn't actually rich...

Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Buy a used CAI. Don't round up parts to make one lol
Rich.Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Scarmaz

Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarmaz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Are there any major cons to creating a custom intake, other than a lower horsepower output?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Rich.Man
isn't actually rich...

Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Rich.Man is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
No not really... They all do the same thing. Location of the filter is what's important, and with an SRI or a custom one, it's too close to the header which increases heat soak which eats up your horsepower making it almost worse than stock. The CAI relocates the filter to down in the wheel well, by the windshield washer fluid bottle which helps the motor breathe much better.
Rich.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Scarmaz

Would I need a splash guard for a cold air intake? And I also live in Maryland, would any tempurates during summer seasons cause problems in a cai?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarmaz View Post
Would I need a splash guard for a cold air intake? And I also live in Maryland, would any tempurates during summer seasons cause problems in a cai?
what the deuce...

Summer temps dont cause problems with a CAI, standing water does.
sonicxtacy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
jstrott
Master Member

jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Just don't floor your car through a puddle and you're good. It doesn't rain too much here so you don't have to worry about hydro locking

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
jstrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
2010 admin

Quote:
I amtrying to snag up some online deals so I can order the parts to make an intake for my 06 s-type, but I need to know what to get. My budget is mid-range around 60-100$. Any good suggestions for both ends of the spectrum?
"Ebay".
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
pongoro87
Master Member

pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pongoro87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
or just mod the stock airbox.... take out the resonator only, get a K & N filter... and create a CAI style pipe with a velocity stack for better air inhaling
pongoro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
brian_95638

brian_95638 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
-k&n cone filter - $50
-hose clamps - $5 x3
-silicone hose
-custom pipes + supports
-3+ hours of fucking around with them
-possible engine lights and shitty performance

not worth my time imo.

you get what you pay for bro
brian_95638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Scarmaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrott View Post
Just don't floor your car through a puddle and you're good. It doesn't rain too much here so you don't have to worry about hydro locking

Im living in semi-low lying areas where puddles are frequent. How fast would I not want to hit a puddle? I see you have a short ram on yours, do you think thatd be more worth the money?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Scarmaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrott View Post

I live in an area where low-lying areas are decently common in Rockville. Should I do what you did and go with a short ram, or would a cold air be more worth the money? And if I were to hit a puddle, what would be a safe speed to hit it at because i'm not trying to hydrolock myself. Thanks.