Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Tranny grind in neutral and gears getting stuck

5K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  J_Wright 
#1 ·
Let me start off by saying I have a exedy stage 1 clutch with the stock
flywheel.. I put it on at 107k and my car currently has 113k. I drove a little
hard one day and I noticed a sound coming from the transmission.. when I push the clutch in the sound would disappear and right when I release it the sound comes back. I figured right away it was the throw out bearing but then 2 days later driving it, I noticed my transmission would grind inside.. IT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME... My gears would get stuck and it becomes a B**** too put back in neutral, then It wouldn't go into the other gears. My clutch felt the same since day one of putting it in and I also checked for leaks but didn't see any from the CMC and SMC.. My car would turn off in neutral right when I let go of the clutch.. ISNT THAT CRAZY ?!?! I CANT FIGURE IT OUT. Also ever since the problem happened, when I put it in reverse my transmission would take a second then jerk then go roll on reverse.. Sorry if I'm not explaining this correct but please give me some ideas and if you don't understand what I'm saying I can try and rephrase it.. summer is here and now I'm really stressing :thumbsdow..

Stuck on the process on how to hold the engine up, saw alot of videos but I don't want to f*** this up. I got 1 jack, an old school hydraulic jack and 2 jack stands (another 2 under the car. Any assumptions on how I can do this by not going near the oil pan

Do you have to take the axles off to take the tranny down? Is there another way I can go through this.. I got a freaking 36mm 6pt onto a breaker bar and it just won't get loose (the nut in the middle of the wheel) i put some screws back that I believe we're 19s to keep my rotors sitting back up. Like a idiot i should of tried to take the axles out first. I put the wheel back on and still couldn't get the axle nut out. Literally everything is loose and this is the only thing keep me from dropping the subframe because it looks like it will break my axle (have back mount attached) and 2 screws I believe on the subframe. But those big mof***ing nuts are out.

See less See more
#7 ·
that means the clutch isn't disengaging... whether it's your throwout bearing, fluid or a combination.

#17 ·
Impact it. I broke like 4 breakers trying to bust them loose. So then I tried spraying some penetrating lube (pb blaster), took a lunch break, then used an impact for 5 minutes straight and it came right off.

#21 · (Edited)
Really?

I just did my LCA's yesterday, and I used a 36 MM socket and a 1/2 in drive and 25inch long breaker bar from Harbor freight and it only took a minute to loosen the nut. But, I weigh 205, so maybe that helped too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-60819.html

Then again, you could stand on the breaker bar and have someone help you keep your balance...

#22 ·
I just did my LCA's yesterday, and I used a 36 MM socket and a 1/2 in drive and 25inch long breaker bar from Harbor freight and it only took a minute to loosen the nut. But, I weigh 205, so maybe that helped too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-60819.html

Then again, you could stand on the breaker bar and have someone help you keep your balance...

Bro some guy that lives up the block weighs about 225 and stepped on the breaker bar and it just wouldn't get loose.. I found a DIY clutch with lots of steps and he said that his axles wouldn't come off so he did it a whole different way. Here is a link to that post. http://customdc5.my-php.net/diy/clutch/

I will be going at it in that type of way. Is this another good way?

#25 ·
Last year I did the clutch swap swap using the above DIY. It worked great, they come right off with the subframe. However, I just replaced an axle and was able to take off the spindle nut by using a normal breaker bar with a pipe as an extension for more leverage. I also weigh under 150 and didnt have much trouble.

#28 · (Edited)
If you replaced your clutch with an exedy stage one clutch then your CMC is dying/dead or unable to handle the pressure. The pressure plate on an exedy stage one/pro kit is more stiff than the stock pressure plate from the factory, and if it has been 100k miles then it is going out. Replace the CMC with one from a em2 civic, it won't have the triangular plate that comes stock from the factory (hit the sticky about aftermarket clutches in this section). I replaced my clutch with an exedy pro kit and light weight flywheel and had the same issues as you except the car dying. The em2 CMC was only $40 at orielly's auto parts. Hope this helps.

#30 ·
Ye I got the axles off. Came off with the subframe. I didn't get to loosen the 36mm. Now and for all the only part im stuck on is how do I get the subframe out the way. I got a jackstand in the middle of the subframe holding the tranny.. Everytime I do something it takes me another day or two. Anybody know how to post photos on here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.