K24a2 swapped Dc5 Overheating problem - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 06-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Dc5_drama

Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
K24a2 swapped Dc5 Overheating problem

I know there are a few posts on Overheating, but i havent found anything with my particular problem, i have never had problems with over heating til i got a small hairline crack in my radiator, changed rad thermostat and water pump I have been through 3 thermostats including my original , i think it is gonna be an air problem i have no hot air from my heater and i have been trying to burp the coolant all week, the temps reach like 234 while driving at times, but then when i get on the gas it will finally throw the hot air from heater, and then when i stop it will get cold again,and coolant temps will start to cool down to even 206 at times, also a few of the times i was re flushing the coolant from rad valve , antifreeze was cold until about half way or more empty. P.S CTS is on its way just in case it is the sensor. any pointers what so ever would be greatly appreciated.
Dc5_drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
fatso666

fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i was reading some guy had lots of heating issues with his k24 swap and what he did after trying several things was getting rid of the thermostat at all. Maybe that works for you too. This is one of the things that scares me from doing my k24 bottom end swap...
(2004 to 2006) 1993 Honda Civic SI Blue
(2006 to 2008) 1994 Acura Integra DC2 White
(2009 Forever) 2003 Acura RSX Type S NHBP
fatso666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
remyrounds
Site Sponsor

remyrounds is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I just finished mine last week and know exactly how to fix this. Put the front end super high into the air, like the rear could be close to touching the ground, and proceed to bleed like normal. Mine took squeezing the upper rad hose and letting it idle for 20 min to get all the air out. Make sure the heat is on also.

You need the filler funnel higher than the head, so the air will travel to that point, rather than sit in the engine.

Last edited by remyrounds; 06-06-2018 at 02:29 PM..
remyrounds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Dc5_drama

Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_drama is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by remyrounds View Post
I just finished mine last week and know exactly how to fix this. Put the front end super high into the air, like the rear could be close to touching the ground, and proceed to bleed like normal. Mine took squeezing the upper rad hose and letting it idle for 20 min to get all the air out. Make sure the heat is on also.

You need the filler funnel higher than the head, so the air will travel to that point, rather than sit in the engine.
So what did you do to get your front end that high? 2x4s on a jack? cuz my low pro jack maxes out at the first level on my stands. did you just massage the hose toward the rad to get the air pockets out?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
Dc5_drama

Garage
Thanks Man, if i cant get the air out with the isle funnel, that will be my last resort.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
remyrounds
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5_drama View Post
Thanks Man, if i cant get the air out with the isle funnel, that will be my last resort.
You need to get the front end lifter high. Jack it up, put in the jackstands, release the jack, put something to add space on the jack, jack it back up even more.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
marko16

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Where is the air? Im assembling mine so I want to be prepared. Could you crack a hose along the way and burp?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
remyrounds
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
Where is the air? Im assembling mine so I want to be prepared. Could you crack a hose along the way and burp?
No need for any tricks, you just need to get the front end high up so the radiator is higher up than the engine. That forces the air out rather than keeping it in the engine.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
it's notorious for air pocket issues.

Here's what I do.

1) Jack the front of the car up as HIGH as you can.
2) Remove the radiator cap and start the car
3) Let it run till hopefully the thermostat opens and air pocket released.

Air always travels to the highest point and by jacking the front up real high it helps it escape the best.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #10
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
The thermostat's too low to be causing problems if you know it's good. The K24's higher deck means the head sits higher, which is where the upper coolant hose neck is. K-tuned (and probably others) offer an upper neck that relocates the filler to this highest position and fixes the K-series coolant bleeding issues.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-10-2018 at 06:12 PM..
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote